I Just Wanted You to Know

Chapter 6. Avances

CH. 6 ADVANCES

Mary stood in front of a mirror in the bedroom of the farm house. She was now about to walk feebly with out the crutches. She pulled her pants down on one leg to examine the wound. It was no longer deep. The arrow had obviously torn its way through some muscle but it was nothing time wouldn't heal. More walking around and pressure on the leg would speed up the recovery time.

There was a knock on the door and she quickly pulled her pants back up and hollered, "Come in!"

The door opened revealing the timid woman, Carol, at the door way. Mary remembered her character while watching the previous episodes, especially her husband and Sophia, who was recently lost in the woods.

"I found a tent for you. I'll help you set it up." Carol squeaked.

"Okay. Thank You. I'll be right out." Mary scrambled around for her boots and a small knife she had tucked away into them when she was at the cabin. It would be her only protection she carried around camp.

/

Mary walked outside the farm house and into camp, for the first time without crutches. Dale and Glenn were standing by the winnebago and began clapping when Mary walked near them. She smirked as her face flushed different shades of red. The men standing around a map on the hood of a car turn their attention to the clapping a well. Mary never liked to be the center of attention. However, it was even more surreal to be the attention of strangers she only knew of just a week ago from watching her favorite television show. Now they were ll in the flesh.

/

Daryl cocked his head to the side as he watched her interact with the old man and the chink. The first thing he noticed was that she was walking again. No thanks to his stupidity. Silently cursing himself. He found that the several shades of red actually added to her attractiveness to him.

He couldn't help but notice that she was hiding something. The longer he watched her the more out of place she seemed. She was lost in thought and helpless wonder constantly. However, when she opened her mouth, it was like verbal diarrhea and it annoyed him...to some extent.

/

Mary walked up to the men, who turned back to analyze the map further. She walked up in between Rick and Shane, with Daryl directly across from her.

"Lookin' good Mary." Shane purred into Mary's ear, loud enough for Daryl and all surrounding people to hear but low enough to send shivers down her spine. Shane placed his hand onto the small of her back giving her a sly smile. Mary returned the gesture with a soft smile of her own.

Two reactions took place during the short interaction taking place between Mary and Shane. One, Daryl glared at the man who was trying to prey on her. Jealously coursed through his veins. How dare Shane try to make a move on Mary. On second thought, Daryl hadn't even tried to 'woo' her at all. If looks could kill, Shane would have been dead in a second. The second reaction came from Lori who was sitting outside her tent with Carol, teaching him Math equations. Lori's glare was directed to Mary, who never moved away or flinched at his touch. In Mary's defense, she was just trying to be polite.

After a minute or two, Mary stepped away from Shane's touch.

Daryl adverted his gaze and concentrated on the task at hand, to locate sophia, "I'm going to borrow a horse and head up to this ridge right here. Get a bird's eye view of the whole grid. If she's up there I'll spot her. "

"Good idea. Maybe you'll see your chupacabra up there, too." T-dog taunted the redneck.

Mary laughed loudly as the others chuckled, "Chupacabra?!"

Dale close by, joined in on the conersation, "You never heard that story? First night in camp, Daryl tell us the whole thing reminds him of the time he went squirrel hunting and he saw a chupacabra."

Mary was laughing so hard she was trying to catch her breath, "So, you believe in a bloodsucking dog?"

"You believe in dead people walking around, Bitch?" Daryl retorted, he was now angry and embarrassed so he turned and made his was to the stalls.

With in ear shot distance Mary hissed, "You noticed?" Taken aback by him calling her a 'Bitch' so suddenly. However, she felt guilty for laughing at him and not with him and decided to follow him.