I Just Wanted You to Know

Chapter 8. Visits

CH.8 LATE NIGHT VISITS

Mary tossed and turned in her tent. The ripped sleeping bag and hard ground prevented her from obtaining any sleep. At least that was the excuse she gave herself. The real reason was that Daryl didn't return from his trip to look for Sophia on horse back. She reasoned with herself. After all, if anyone was well adapted to survive in an apocalypse type situation, it would be the redneck. Daryl was more than able to make it back to camp alive.

Tired of not just laying there, Mary stood up and made her way outside. She grabbed the extra cigarette that Daryl had given her a few days earlier, before walking outside. Mary curled up on the ground by the small lit camp fire. She leaned in close to the small flames and carefully lit the cigarette, taking a long drag before exhaling.

For what seemed like a few minutes turned into an hour of sitting by the fire recollecting her thoughts. Dale was keeping watch on top of the Winnebago and didn't notice her till later in the night. She watched the fire dance on the rocks and dried up twigs.

Mary was brought out of her thoughts by Andrea taking a seat on the ground next to her.

"Can't sleep?" Andrea grumbled. She seemed groggy but restless. The bags under her eyes was something that Mary could recently relate to wit her.

The time that Mary has spent in camp, she had never really spoken to Andrea. Mary assumed Andrea didn't like her. The usual girl antics.

"Nope." Mary replied, bringing her knees up to her body crossing her arms and resting her head down. She knew of Andrea from the Walking Dead show. However, Mary refused to look her in the eyes, Andrea reminded her of her friends at the hospital. Reminded her of home and at the moment she felt like she had no one to relate to.

"You and Amy would have been good friends. She was my sister." Andrea breathed out.

Mary's heart fell to her stomach. She remembered Amy from the show and recalled her final episode. She didn't know how to respond because the subject of her sister was a sensitive one.

"I miss her." Andrea continued, with a blank stare into the fire. The flames almost mesmerized the two women.

"I miss home..." Mary trailed off, "I miss all the people i knew."

"What happened to them? Where they part of your group?" Andrea pried on.

"No...well... I don't know what happened to them."

"I'm sure you'll find them again." Andrea comforted Mary with a soft smile. Mary turned to look at her for the first time. She had a look on her face that was almost indescribable. It was as if she knew something.

"It's late out. Your ladies should get your rest." Dale spoke out from on top of the Winnebago.

Andrea and Mary both 'shooshed' him in a fit of giggles. Both quickly dispersed to their respective tents and calling it at night at what might have been 5am.

/

Mary didn't wake up the next day till around 4 in the afternoon. She awoke to the voice of Andrea yelling 'Walker!'

Mary ran out of her tent to see what was going on.

"Why didn't anyone wake me?" Mary asked rhetorically grabbing the binoculars from Dale to see what was in the distance.