I Just Wanted You to Know

Chapter 9. Doctor

CH. 9 Doctor in the House

Mary peered through the hazy lens of the binoculars to get a better look. The men took off running to beat the walker instead of cause noise with fire arms. The sun was relentless and at the perfect height in the sky to blind Mary and Andrea. However, Andrea was the one with the deadly rifle.

"Andrea, No!" Dale shouted to her from the base of the Winnebago.

She was stubborn and wouldn't listen to Dale's pleas. Instead she raised the rifle and tried to take aim again. Mary tried desperately to focus her eyes through the lens.

"Don't do it!" Mary called out to her, but still to no avail. As soon as the words left her lips, Andrea pulled the trigger.

The shot was loud and rang in everyone's ears. The silence after the shot was the most deafening. Followed by screams from the men. The screams weren't joyous or in celebration that she took the shot and made it. Mary looked though the binoculars again. She found the men dragging a limp body, obviously not a walker.

"It's Daryl!" Mary hissed at Andrea. She dropped the binoculars to the floor and began running. Mary wasn't running towards the men. She ran inside the farm house and began gathering supplies to clean him up and heal him. Mary knew that Andrea was a bad shot and prepared for the best instead of the worst. Her leg was healed for the most part, now just a flesh wound and a little torn muscle. She ran, not as fast and as comfortable as she would have liked. The leg radiated pain but she ignored it.

Andrea dropped the gun and ran down the Winnebago to run towards the men.

Mary tore the clean sheets off the bed and grabbed warm towels to clean the muck off him, antibiotics, rubbing alcohol and bandages. Also stitching thread and a needle.

"What is going on in here?" Hershel heard the ruckus in the room and stood at the door way to investigate.

"Daryl's been hurt. Can you--" Mary was cut off by Rick and Shane's voice on the porch.

Both Mary and Hershel found the men carrying a bloody Daryl covered in muck that resembled a mixture of dirt, sweat and blood. hershel just shook his head and allowed entry. Mary led the way to the room and began examining the work needed to be done.

Mary grabbed her small knife she kept tucked away in her boot and torn through his shirt. It was faster and easier than struggling to pull the clothing off and maybe even cause more damage in the process. She did the same to his jeans as well. A single slit followed by the ripping of all his clothing, except his boxer briefs. his clothing was a loss anyways, with everything they were covered and that stench would probably never come out.

Mary grabbed the warm, wet towel and began wiping his body clean while Hershel examined the wound on his side and the bullet wound that jus grazed his head. Mary noticed that his chest and torso were littered with scars and the dirt washed off. The scars were no surprise to her with the way he came back looking, the guy probably goes through situations like these often.

After cleaning the wounds, bother Hershel and Mary began stitching him up. Hershel left soon after when he saw that Mary was very experienced and allowed her to bandage him up.

After she was completely done with Daryl, she sat in the chair sighing a breath of relief. She admired how good looking her was all cleaned up. It had to be the first time she has seen him completely cleaned up since she has arrived with the group.

Daryl was unconscious the whole time and Mary assumed he would still be for at least another hour or two. She was curious about his scars so she carefully lifted the sheets off of him. Her fingers traced several of the scars slowly and letting her eyes wander to his 'package', paranoid he'd wake up to a this weird situation. She decided against staying longer, and covered him with the sheets again.

Mary stood at the foot of his bed. She remembered Norman laying in the hospital bed after she cleaned his wounds and bandaged him as well. It was like Deja Vu.

"Aye, Norman." Mary breathed out, forgetting for a second that she was still in this strange Walking Dead universe. To her, they looked exactly the same, after all they were the same people. Different personalities.

"What did ya call me?" Daryl groaned, trying to turn himself in the bed.

Mary's eyes widened. How long was he awake for? Did he allow her to trace her scars and glimpse at his manhood while the sheets were uncovered? 'Oh gawd, please just let the earth open up and swallow me whole, right now' she thought as her face flashed several shades of deep red.

"J-j-just get some sleep. Y-your hurt." Mary stammered over her words before leaving the room as fast as she could. Embarrassed of herself.

/

Dinner ended quickly and Mary was helping wash dishes until she felt a small hand on her shoulder. She turned around quickly to find Carol holding a plate of food.

She timidly asked, "Do you think Daryl would be hungry?"

"Oh yes. I can take it up. I have to change his dressings anyway." Mary offered. She dried the suds from her hands. Mary didn't catch the reason she asked the question was because Carol wanted to take to him but she wasn't aware of what feelings Carol might have for him.

Carol opened her mouth, as if trying to say something but closed her mouth and decided against it.

Mary walked up the steps of the farm house slowly. She was still embarrassed from earlier but hoped that he would not remember.

She knocked on the door and entered quickly. She found him trying to cover his torso with the sheets. So maybe he wasn't awake for that part, but there was no way to know for sure.

"Carol made you a plate of food.'' Mary said setting the plate down on the dresser next to him.

Daryl just grunted and turned over to ignore her. Mary stood at he door way, "I need to check your dressings real quick." She sat on the bed next to him and with the shift in weight he turned to glare at her.

"What are you, a nurse?" He hissed through gritted teeth.

"A doctor." Mary corrected him, examining his head bandage, which still looked clean so she didn't have to redress it.

Daryl didn't show any difference in emotion by her correction. He still look aggravated.

Mary felt like she was being watched by him through a microscope. He watched every move she made and it made her slightly uncomfortable but she wasn't going to show it.

She lifted the sheet off his body, which he objected but had no choice. She examine the dressing quickly on his side not wanting to bring any attention to his scars or anything else.

The torso dressing was also clean, much to her surprise. As soon as she finished, Daryl's southern drawl breathed in her ear, "See something ya like earlier?" He taunted her.

Mary's eye grew wider and looked at him in shock. He, indeed, was awake earlier.

"I'm sorry." Mary admittedly apologized. She tried to stand up quickly but his calloused hand wrapped around her arm, holding her down.

Mary turned to look back at him, surprised to be face to face with him. 'This soooooo isn't happening.' the fan girl inside of her wanting to explode in excitement of what she thought was about the happen.

Mary leaned in further. Now only a mere inch apart from each other's lips.

A knock racked at the door which pulled the two quickly apart. Carol opened the door to find Mary sitting on the bed, and Daryl covering himself up again.

Mary stood up quickly, she didn't want rumors to be spread across the camp, especially since she was still a fairly new person.

"I just wanted to talk to Daryl, in private." Carol spoke softly.

"Go ahead." Mary walked quickly out of the room, but not before turning to lock eyes with him once more.

The door shut 10 times louder in her head when she left the room, than it actually did. Mary thought that Carol has been acting so strange lately. She shrugged it off her shoulders and made her way to her tent. That night she relived the situation of him trying to kiss her several times over, replaying it in her head, over and over again.

***So what do you think??!?!