Status: Getting a re-write. I want to develop some of my characters differently. Changes coming soon.

Night & Day

An Innocent Dinner

A week had passed here in boring-vile. I hadn’t talked to anyone really for a good amount of reasons but mainly I just wanted to get the hang of things. There had been more talk about the big raffle but I never put any money to enter my name. As I walked down the hallway towards my next class I saw Izzy talking to some guy and I continued to walk as quickly as possible.

In my next class I sat and read one of the books I had been assigned to read for English. It had actually been one I had wanted to read for the longest time I just never got around to it.

“Hello Em how’ve you been?” Izzy said from beside me.

I sat my book down, “Good just getting used to everything I guess.”

“I just wanted to remind you practice is tomorrow right after school.”

Letting a groan escape my lips Mrs. Sanders raised an eyebrow, “Something you would like to share Emily?”

I sat up straight, “Yes, I was just wondering it was okay if we could turn in our papers in early.”

She seemed surprised, “Well that would be quite alright, but I advise you to double check everything.” Class continued without any interruptions from me.

Everyone had been talking about their dance outfits but not who they were going with. Every girl in the school was waiting to go with some guy from the team. I had been convinced by Izzy to go. I might have some fun.

Once school was over I went over to The Hut again to get a snack. Our school lunch wasn’t the best sometimes, so I only had an apple. When I got to The Hut no one I knew was there. I took a seat at the bar and Oliver smirked, “What can I get you?”

I shrugged, “I’m a little hungry but I don’t know if I want to wait for dinner. What do you think?”

He took off his apron, “Well my shift is over right now did you want to get a bite to eat?”

I smiled, “Are you sure?”

He sighed. “Aren’t you hungry?”

I gave a nod. “Well, yes but I hardly know you.”

“It’s just food.” He rolled his eyes.

We walked outside and we walked to the nearest place to eat that happened to be a hole in the wall
pizza parlor.

We stood outside and Oliver shrugged, “Is this okay with you?”

I smiled, “Of course, who doesn’t like pizza?” He walked ahead to open the door for me.

Inside the room smelled like bread and garlic. We sat by the window with the view of the beach. After ordering our drinks I started to tap my fingers lightly against the table.

“Would you rather... be caught cheating on a test or be caught making faces at a teacher?” Oliver chuckled.

“Hmm making faces…definitely.” I giggled.

It was my turn to ask next so I thought wisely, “Hmm what movie is the one movie you would want to be in?”

For moment there was just the sound of people using their chopsticks finally he answered, “I would have to say Mary Poppins. What’s yours?”

I shook my head, “You can’t ask the same questions!”

He grinned, “Well then I’m just going to change the rules…”

Oliver seemed like such a remote person. He had a sarcastic humor, but for the most part, he was arrogant. I didn’t even know how old he was. He seemed mature which corresponded with his appearance. Despite the way he ate his pizza. We were stuffed beyond our capacity after dinner.

He offered to drive me home so I accepted naturally. When we got out at my driveway I shoved my hands in my pockets. “Thanks for dinner it was…fun surprisingly.”

He chuckled, “Were you expecting something worse?”

I giggled, “No I mean that was probably the most fun I’ve had here. Well actually you’re the most normal person I’ve met here.”

He chuckled, “Normal? Don’t be too quick to judge Emily. I could be some cereal killer trying to lure you in.”

“I highly doubt that, Oliver.” I giggled at the thought.

His face was plain. “I suppose it’s working then. I’ll see you around Emily.”

I bit my lip. “Bye, Oliver.”

The lights were on in my house, which surprised me. I unlocked the door and found my father sitting an armchair reading todays newspaper. “Hey, Dad.”

“Hey, Emmie did you have a nice time?” His eyes didn’t leave the newspaper.

“Yeah, I did.” I smiled.

Marching up the stairs I laid flat on my bed and flipped the TV on. Some silly reality show came on that interested me. The way people acted around the camera was always funny to me. They never acted themselves because they were afraid of the world seeing the real them. Maybe that’s why I always build this wall so people couldn’t get as easily.

As I rose with a stretch I noticed there was a note next to my alarm clock. I unfolded it and read my father’s sloppy writing:

Sorry kiddo got called in early, but the Mason’s said they would give you a ride.
Love, Dad

Quickly I got ready so I wouldn’t be rude to the Mason’s. I grabbed red skinny jeans and my black Ramones shirt. As I skipped down the stairs with my bag, I grabbed a granola bar on the counter and shoved it in my bag. My jacket was in the front closet so grabbed it quickly. Inside the right pocket was a key to the front door. My dad would always leave the house key in my pocket.

Outside I inhaled the fresh air as I walked over to the Mason house. The front door was open and Sarah and Derek came walking out. “Hey Emily, all set for practice today?”

I sighed, “I completely forgot. What do I need to bring?”

Derek chuckled, “Short shorts and a bra.”

We all got into his car and Sarah rolled her eyes, “Shut up Derek! You can barrow something from my locker.”

As we drove to school Derek played The Shore’s Latest Hits the most popular radio station here. In the front seat Sarah was bobbing her head up and down as she sang to some song. All Derek did was tap on the steering wheel as he stared out at the road.

Sarah turned around with a smirk, “So I heard you and Oliver went out last night.” Derek glanced at me from the rearview mirror.

I laughed, “We were just hanging out!” Nobody seemed convinced but that was okay with me. To be honest I wasn’t bothered by it at all because people could think what they want.

Once we pulled up to the school Sarah smiled letting me out, “There is a party tonight you should come.” While we walked into the school Derek walked with us. Standing by a locker I saw Matt and Izzy talking. I finally found Matt! Walking up to him crossed my mind but would that be rude to interrupt?

Sarah’s P.O.V

“There is a party tonight you should come.” I told Emily.

She seemed uninterested in talking to me. Then she walked over to Izzy and some guy who looked familiar.

Derek shook his head, “You’re not going to that party and I refuse to drive you.”

I rolled my eyes, “Come on Derek! I really want Emily to like me!”

He seemed confused, “Why?”

I shrugged, “She’s like really pretty and I don’t want her to the like guys I like so I figure if I’m her friend… I’ll know who she likes.”

Derek smirked, “Fine, but I don’t approve of your reason. I wanted to ask her out any way.”

I gasped, “You wouldn’t dare!”

“What is he doing now?” Emily laughed with Izzy and Matt by her side.

Derek smiled, “Oh nothing I just have dirt on her and well I plan on using it against her in one way or
another.”

My stupid brother can’t be with Emily! The only reason I’m co-captain on the cheer squad is because Brittany, the head cheerleader, thinks I’m putting in a good word for her.
Derek ended up walking Emily to class leaving me with Izzy and that guy. Izzy skipped, “Do you think your brother likes Emily?”

I crossed my arms, “He better not.”

The boy began to chuckle and sighed, “You girls do nothing but gossip huh? Well I’ll see you later Iz will you tell Emily that I have to talk to her when you see her?”

Izzy smiled, “Sure thing Matt, see you later.”

We walked to English together where Derek was talking to Emily next to the door. She looked like she was blushing. Izzy giggled and shouted, “Derek and Emily sitting in a tree-” I put my hand over her mouth, “Shhh!”

Emily’s P.O.V

“So how is the moving in coming along?” Derek asked.

I shrugged, “Good I guess my dad still needs to unpack some of his things but I’m finished with my things.”

He smiled, “So does that mean you’re free this weekend? You do owe me a movie.”

My cheeks were turning red but I tried to play it off, “With your sister?”

He shook his head; “I’d prefer to exclude her from the evening.”

The bell rang announcing it was time to get into the class. I began to walk into the threshold when

Derek grabbed my wrist, “Is that a yes?”

I walked back to him and smiled, “I suppose.”

He flashed his amazing smile, “I’ll see you Saturday then gorgeous.” He almost made me melt right then and there.

In class Izzy kept throwing paper balls at my head obnoxiously, but once I finally threw one at her and she stopped. The next paper she threw was smaller and it had a note in it:
You like Derek!!!

I never responded to her note because I wasn’t sure what to say. Boys were never my specialty because I never really cared for them, but here they were cuter and more I don’t know…inviting?

After class Izzy smiled, “So do you?”

I shrugged, “I don’t know. Do you?”

She seemed confused, “Why would I?”

I replied, “Because you keep asking about him!”

From behind Sarah asked, “Who are you guys talking about?”

I shook my head, “No one.”

By the end of the day I was losing it considering every second someone would bring up Derek and whether or not I liked him. I had borrowed clothes from Sarah for cheerleading.

They began to show me cheers and what I had to master. It wasn’t anything to hard but I just couldn’t do it with a smile or with dignity. Most of the cheerleaders were discussing the dance that was this Friday. It had completely slipped my mind and Izzy was expecting me to go.

Sarah smiled, “Are you coming to that party tonight?”

I shrugged, “I kind of wanted to start my English paper… but I guess I could come.” We walked back to the locker rooms together and we changed back into our regular clothes, but while doing it I felt so disgusting and I wanted to shower desperately.

Outside the gates Derek was sitting on the hood of his car waiting for her with basketball shorts and a wife beater on. My traitor eyes could not avert from his body what so ever.

Sarah nudged me. “Do you need a ride or is your dad getting you?”

I shook my head. “Nope I’m walking home.”

She pulled me to the car. “Then you can ride with us.”

Sarah let me sit in the front since I was getting dropped off. The car was silent until Sarah begged Derek to plug in her IPod but judging by his protest I assumed she liked horrible songs.

I smiled at their argument and said, “We are almost home anyway.”

Sarah gave up and smiled, “Did Izzy tell you Matt wanted to talk to you?”

I shook my head. “No I should probably go to his house before I go home.”

Sarah asked, “You know where he lives right?”

“No I don’t. Do you?”

“He lives next door to you too.” Sarah smiled.

We pulled up in their driveway and I got out grabbing my bag, “Thanks for the ride I’ll see you tonight
Sarah.” I ran over to Matt’s house before they said anything else. Walking up the porch steps I felt like I didn’t look presentable what so ever but I knocked anyway.

“Hey, Emily I wanted to talk to you.” Matt smiled.

I nodded, “Yeah Sarah told me.”

He walked out onto the porch with me closing the door from behind, “Well I just wanted to know if you wanted to go to the dance with me, as friends. I didn’t have a date and well I know you didn’t have one either.”

I giggled, “Thanks I was actually stressing about that earlier. That sounds great are you going to a party tonight?”

He shook his head, “Nah I wanted to start my English paper.”

I sighed, “Those were my plans too…”

“Well I’ll see you around then?” he smiled.

I smiled, “Sure.”

Trudging back to my house I saw my dad talking to Sarah’s mom at their mailboxes. I ignored the two and walked into the house to shower. When I stepped out of the shower I heard talking down stairs so I
looked down to see who it was. It was Judie from next door along with Sarah and Derek.

Quickly I ran back to my room and looked for something to wear. I pulled out a black blouse and denim skinny jeans that seemed perfect for a party. Before I went down stairs I dried my hair a little and then grabbed my phone. Off to the party…