Status: Completed!

Proud

My Dreams

I stared down at my iphone 5. I didn’t really have any interest in technology but Dad insisted he only wanted the best for his ‘little girl’. Not only did I have an ipad and iphone but I had a 60inch flat screen TV mounted to my wall. An expensive leather couch faced the TV. A few feet away there was a door that opened up into my massive walk-in-wardrobe.

Mom often came home with clothes or we’d go out shopping. It was one of the few things we got to do together because she was often too busy with the business to spend quality time with me doing anything other than shopping. That’s why I was called a spoilt princess by a lot of people. They didn’t know me though; they only saw me as the daughter of a multi-billion dollar man. I had my own dreams though, my own ambitions.

The truth was I loved art. Painting, designing and sketching any kind of art was my forte. As long as it involved pencils and drawing pads I was content. Mom knew I had a love for art; it was dad that had no clue. He assumes I draw designs for secret future ‘projects’ because I’d never show him my art work. Not to mention he was too involved with himself to bother trying to push me to give him a look. Mum supports my art though; she encourages me when I show her my work. She also pays for private tutor sessions in all areas of art so I can improve.

And when I finish high school I want to go to a prestigious art college then I want to get a job doing something artistic. That was my dream. However it was a far-fetched dream that I wasn’t sure I wanted to tell my dad. I mean I wanted him to be proud of me for what I loved to do but he was always going on about following in his footsteps.

Next year I would be finishing high school and graduating. Dad would have me sign up to all sorts of prestigious engineering colleges but we both knew I’d only get in if he paid a large amount of money. I wasn’t a technological person, that’s not to say I was dumb because I wasn’t, and Tony Stark was my dad after all. I just didn’t care much for it. Dad wrote it off as just being a fiery, rebellious teenager and once I settled down and realised there was a bigger picture I’d come to terms with what I had to do for the family business.

What he didn’t know was that Mom had been helping me prepare for art colleges as well. We usually don’t like being sneaky but we weren’t totally guilty about it. Dad had a habit of giving us grief so why couldn't we be sneaky once in a while?

The plan was that if I got accepted into one of the art colleges I had applied for I’d confront dad and tell him the truth. But just the thought made me nervous. I wanted dad’s approval so badly. I wanted to hear him tell me that he was happy for me and he loved me no matter what I wanted to do.

Dad had never outright told me he loved me. Mom said it’s because Grandpa had never shown love to dad either. She said I had to be patient but I’ve been patient for nearly 17 years and I hated that when I spent what little time I could with him. I had to do so faking who I really was. I am Peace Stark and I am an amateur artist!