Status: Updating whenever...

Under the Midnight Sun

Chapter 01

I lean against my couch, pushing it into the position that seems right in front of my television. I stand and wipe my brow, admiring my not-so-expert interior designing skills. I then put up some band posters in my room and put away the last of my clothes.

I think about sitting down and watching some television—which I am excited for considering all I watch is British programming but then I get the sudden urge to go for a run. I probably should go see about getting a gym membership or something but I really want to get to know my surroundings here on Baker Street. So I get changed into my running clothes and I head out.

I jump down the stairs in my sneakers and head out the door. I stand there for a moment, taking in the busy street. I notice people walking by, hailing taxis, and buses barreling down the road. I look left and I look right but make my way back to left. This seems like the way to go. So I start.

Endorphins release as I my body reacts to the movement of my legs against the pavement and the in-tune responses of the rest of my body. Sweat is not even close to beading at my forehead—it takes a lot to make me sweat. I make it a couple blocks down before I am hit with a force that seems like a sack of bricks hitting me in the gut.

When I open my eyes after the blow, I notice that I am lying on top of a man! “I am so sorry!” I gush, completely embarrassed. I then notice his cane. I pick it up and then help him. “I’m so sorry!” I continue to say. I then see his face and my speaking ceases. He has kind eyes and he is incredibly handsome. He is short with blondish hair.

“It’s alright, it’s alright,” he says, brushing his stylish coat off. He looks up at me and he seems stopped in his tracks as well. I can feel his eyes travel across my facing, making notes of my blues eyes, my bright, fiery red hair and my smile.

“Once again, I’m terribly sorry,” I manage to say. “I probably shouldn’t be running on the sidewalk. Heh.” I bite my lip and put my hand on my hip, shaking my head. I feel like such an idiot!

It then clicks. “Oh, you’re American! How long have you been living here?” He seems so interested. It shocks me. I did not expect the locals to be so warm towards Americans. But that is just a silly stereotype.

“I actually just moved here today. I just thought I’d go for a jog to get a feel of my surroundings.” I close my eyes and then open them again quickly, a little tick I have when I’m full of anxiety.

“Well, people don’t really run on the sidewalks in London. It’s kind of… dangerous.” He freezes a moment and then bursts into laughter. I do so as well.

I then realize I still have his cane. I hand it back to him. “Here. Man, I do not miss using one of those!” I laugh nervously.

“Oh, really, you used one of—“ the man is then caught off.

“JAWN!” A deep voice bellows. A tall, thin man appears. He has dark hair with a long face. “Jawn! Come now, we must hurry.”

“Just a second, Sherlock,” the man says. He seems excited all of a sudden.

Sherlock then notices what his companion is currently in the middle of. “Making friends, are we?” He says as he puts his gloves on in a matter-of-fact way. I take note of his seeming distaste in me. Jealous type, maybe?

“Well, anyway,” I begin. “I should get going.” I can feel the tension and it’s making me incredibly uncomfortable.

“Wait,” the man says, stopping me. “I didn’t catch your name.”

“It’s Virginia, Virginia Sullivan.” I smile shyly at him, holding out my hand for him to shake.

“Well, I’m John Watson and this is my friend, Sherlock Holmes.” He gestures to the tall fellow, taking my hand.

“Nice to meet you,” I say, tucking a piece of hair behind my ear as I shake John’s hand. I’m not flirting, okay, maybe I am a little. He’s cute! “Well, I’ve got to go. I’ll maybe see you around? I just live a few blocks down.”

“I’ll see you around,” John says with a smile, putting his hands behind his back.

I turn and begin my short walk back to my apartment. I can feel John and Sherlock’s eyes on my back. I cannot believe I just made such a fool out of myself in front of two handsome men like that in a new country. They must think I’m total American scum! I mean, I knocked over a man on a cane! And then I said I’m glad I don’t use one anymore? How horrible! I just hope I never have to encounter either one of them again for fear of embarrassing myself further!
♠ ♠ ♠
And they finally meet! I'm pleased to see that I actually have some subscribers and readers! Did not think that was going to happen! Thank you for your interest! I'll hopefully be posting more in a few days. See you then!

Virginia's Outfit