Status: Updating whenever...

Under the Midnight Sun

Chapter 03

I absorb the sights and sounds of central London as I make my way to 221 Baker Street. I walk proudly with a group of people. Men on their cell phones, telling their wives they will be home soon; women carrying grocery bags to fix dinner when they get home. And last of all, a small boy staring at me as he tags along behind his mother, holding onto her hand for dear life. I smile at him and he continues to stare at me as if he can tell something hidden about me. I ignore him and search my gaze above him. The clicking of my heels soothes me as I make my way down the sidewalk.

When I arrive at my destination, an older woman lets me in. I assume she is John and Sherlock’s landlady. “Hello,” I greet her happily.

“Hello, deary,” she answers back. “You must be John’s date, Virginia. He’s been talking my ear off about you!” The landlady looks me up in down, clearly shocked at my age.

“Good things, I hope!” I say with a laugh. I pass her and make my way up the stairs to apartment B. “Hello?” I call out, knocking on the door.

The door opens to reveal John standing their dressed in a very spiffy outfit. “Ah, Virginia, come on,” he conducts me. I unbutton my coat and carefully maneuver into the flat. “Sherlock!” John shouts.

“What? What is it?” Sherlock answers, coming into the room, clearly annoyed.

“You remember Virginia?” John asks, gesturing to me, placing his arm around on my back. He gives his flat mate a nervous smile.

Sherlock’s eyeballs search me, making mental notes of my appearance and trying to decipher who I am on the inside. The seconds tick by but I stand up straight and proud, not intimidated by this arrogant know-it-all. “Let’s see…” he begins. “Judging by your lack of blemishes and wrinkles and the state of your skin, I’d say you are about twenty-six years old. You are not a natural redhead—your natural hair color is a light brunette. And you’re a dancer judging by your muscle mass and posture.” He stops a moment and gives John a disappointed look. “What are you doing with a girl that is fifteen years younger than you, John?” He puts his hands on his hips.

John looks at his friend, offended. “That is none of your business. And would you please stop analyzing my date?” He huffs and swipes his jacket from off the coat rack next to him. “Let’s go, Virginia,” he says is a deep, angered voice.

“It was nice meeting you,” I smile at Sherlock as John drags me out of the apartment. He just continues to eye me carefully, still trying to figure everything out.

Once we are outside, John lets out an agitated sigh. “I’m sorry about that. I really am. Sherlock Holmes is an acquired taste and it takes a while to get used to him.”

“No, it’s fine,” I say, placing my hand on his shoulder but letting it drop to my side. “I kind of like him, actually. He is quite amusing,” I giggle.

John shoots his gaze up to me, fighting a smile. “Are you serious? You actually like him? Well, that’s a first for any of the girls that I have introduced them to.” He shakes his head in disbelief.

“You bet’cha!” I say. “And I’m not like most girls.” I wink at him. “Now let’s get to dinner so we can make it to the movie.” I link my arm with his as we walk down the sidewalk to catch a cab.

When we arrived at the restaurant, I’m amazed. It is a beautiful little Italian place with an amazing view of the river. I smile brightly with wide eyes at John, showing my appreciation. He just smiles back, pleased with himself.

“This place is amazing!” I exclaim as our waiter leads us to our table. John takes my coat and pulls my chair out and I take a seat. “Thank you,” I express properly as I nestle down in my seat. I look around the room, taking in the romantic ambiance created by the intimate tables and flickering candles.

“I just managed to get a reservation!” John says quickly, sitting down in his own seat. He crosses his left leg over his right and folds his hands on the table. “So, what shall we talk about?”

“Well, you know so much about me. I want to know more about you.” I lean my elbow against the table and rest my chin in my hand, ready for a story. “Tell me about your military service.”

John takes and breath, thinking and then begins. He tells me old war stories of insane missions he and his sector went on, sparing me the gruesome details—which is reasonable considering it is our first date. Using his hands, he shows me the size of the beetles and scorpions he saw when he was Afghanistan. John seems so comfortable talking about this stuff, like he has forgotten we are in some fancy restaurant. And before I know it, he has me laughing hysterically at the things his friends would say and do, opening up a more soothing and relaxed side of me.

“That is hilarious!” I exclaim, grabbing John’s arm and smacking my hand on the table. I throw my head back and out a loud laugh.

“Um, thank you,” John smiles weakly, seeing that the waiter is coming back over to our table.

“Excuse me, Miss,” the waiter says in a hushed voice, bending down to eye-level with me. “I’m going to have to ask you to quiet yourself once again or we’re going to have to ask you to leave. Other patrons of this restaurant have complained about the noise.”

My smile is wiped from my face and I look at him and nod. “Sorry, it won’t happen again.” When the waiter leaves, John and I burst into snickers.

“You’re bad,” John says, trying to stifle his laughter.

“You’re bad, too,” I tease back, winking at him. It was more than a wink though. It was quite suggestive. I suddenly fear that it may have been to forward too early.

All the joy is wiped from John’s face and I freeze, scared out of my wits. He looks down on his hands as he twiddles his thumbs. “Virginia… can I ask you something?”

“Of course, John, what is it?” I almost put my hand on his but I stop myself and just place my hand on the table, close to me… where it is safe.

“Why are you attracted to me? I mean, I am fifteen years older than you and you’re so young and beautiful and you could have any man you want.” His gaze rises to meet mine and he licks his lips anxiously.

I lean back in my seat the littlest bit, baffled. “You’re not still thinking about what Sherlock said, are you?”

“Well, yeah… but haven’t you noticed the stares we have gotten tonight? People are looking at us as if you’re my…” His voice hushes to faint whisper. “…Whore or something.”

“Let me tell you, John Watson, I don’t care what anyone else thinks. I stopped carrying a long time ago. I’m attracted to you because you’re smart and you help and care for people and I think you are incredibly sexy.” My voice cracks and fades as tears begin to form in my eyes. I bite my lip to keep it from shaking.

John quickly reaches forward and takes my hand. “Don’t… don’t cry! I’m sorry! I didn’t mean to make you upset! I was just wondering!” He scrambles to console me.

I shake my head. “No, it’s fine. I’m the one who should be sorry. I’ve obviously been way too forward with you and that’s made you uncomfortable.”

“No, you haven’t. I don’t feel uncomfortable. In fact… I feel quite comfortable with you.” He smiles at me.

“Really?” I ask, wiping a tear away.

“Yeah,” he assures me, nodding.

I smile back at him and turn toward the waiter. “Check, please!” I call over.

After John pays for our meal, we walk hand-in-hand to the theatre—which isn’t far—to see a new movie that just recently came out. This was an ecstatic time for me. A new British film that I wouldn’t have to wait for with an attractive British man that seems to really enjoy my company. I am in heaven!

All through the film, John and I hold hands. It may seem a bit premature to be doing such a thing but it felt so right to have my fingers entwined with his. It feels so natural and right. I believe I’m infatuated already. But it is a bit early to be thinking about such things. But he does seem to feel the same way considering he was not pulling away or anything. He did not try any funny business either.

When the film finished, we caught a cab back to 221 B Baker Street. “I had a really great time,” I say to John, stepping out of the taxi.

“Oh, you’re stopping here?” He asks, putting his key into the lock of the door.

“Oh, I just wanted to say good-night?” I follow him inside, where we have plenty of privacy.

“Would you like some coffee? That’s what people drink in America, right? Coffee?” John asks, nervously. He turns on a light in the entry way.

“I hate coffee,” I whisper seductively in his ear. My hands travel from his waist up to his shoulders and around behind his neck. I take a nibble at his earlobe. He lets out a groan. I then pull away, looking him in the eyes. I then kiss him. His tongue is warm and soft against mine. Our lips separate and he leans forward, wanting more. “Goodnight, Dr. Watson,” I say and then I’m out the door.
♠ ♠ ♠
Aw their first date but a sexy ending! What will happen when Sherlock finds out how well it went? Will he and Virginia ever get along? Find out soon!

Virginia's Outfit