Status: Updating whenever...

Under the Midnight Sun

Chapter 04

I have now been on a few dates with John and they have been wonderful! He has taken me out to fantastic restaurants and Dr. Watson has been extremely romantic and gentleman-like. I feel like the luckiest girl alive! Normally, I would be right on taking our intimacy to the next level but I realize this is not America. Not to stereotype, but because he is older and British I feel like I need to be more lady-like. So I have put the idea on hold for now. I want the time to right because I want to really make this relationship mean something.

I stare across the room intently at Mr. Sherlock Holmes as I wait for John to finish getting ready for our afternoon together. Sherlock eyes me impressively, not blinking. He has his fingers together, placing the index underneath his chin. He and I have still not really seen eye to eye. I have been perfectly pleasant but it is obvious that he does not like me.

“Almost ready,” John calls from his bedroom. I hear commotion in the other room.
“Alright,” I yell back, not breaking my eye contact with the consulting detective. There is something very strange about this man—something I have ever experienced before.

Finally, he speaks. He removes his fingers from his face and places them on the arm of his chair, playing with a loose thread with his right hand, staring at it as he does so. “So where did you say you were from? Somewhere cold, I imagine since you have no tan whatsoever.” He slightly rolls his eyes.

“I’m from Grand Rapids, Michigan. You’re right; it is cold there, but not all the time. I choose not to go out in the sun for fear of sun damage.” I cock my head back, ready for more questions. “Where are you from?”

He ignores my question and continues on with his interview. “And you said you were a dancer? How long have you been doing that?” He continues to fumble with the string, only glancing up occasionally.

I lean forward, resting my elbows on my knees. “Since I was three; But Sherlock, I know you really don’t want to know these things. You’re just trying to break the silence because you’re uncomfortable.” I give him a flat look.

“I’m not uncomfortable,” he says in an almost harsh way. “I’m never uncomfortable.”
I scoot forward just a little bit more, interested. “Really? You never get uncomfortable? I highly doubt that.”

“Your doubt is no mind to me,” he says in an annoyed voice.

I chuckle the littlest bit, smirking. “If you say so,” I mutter under my breath, sitting back in my chair. I run my tongue along my front teeth and on the inside of my cheek.

John finally emerges from his room, groomed and looking handsome, as usual. “Well, it’s about time, John!” Sherlock snaps. “Geez, you take longer than a woman to get ready!” He looks to me. “No offense.”

“None taken,” I say, clapping my hands against my knees and staring down at the rug on the floor.

John then realizes the tension in my room. He looks to me, then Sherlock, and then back to me. “Is he harassing you again?” He asks.

I look up at him and roll my eyes. “No, John, and besides, even if he was,” I stand up,” I can take care of myself—I’m a big girl.” I walk over, place my hands on his chest and give him a smooch on the lips. I can feel the disgust radiating from Sherlock behind me. “Let’s go.” I grab John’s hand lead him out of the flat.

When we reach the sidewalk outside, John stops me. “I’m so sorry. He really needs to stop doing that.” He shakes his head and places his hand over his forehead.

I grip the zippers of John coat, adjusting the jacket to look straighter. “And you need to stop apologizing so much! Like I said, I’m a big girl. I can handle Sherlock. He’s really not so bad. Now let’s go do something fun!” I smile at him.

“Ugh, fine. Let’s go.” He says. I slide my hand into his and we walk down the Baker Street, ready to go on an adventure. Well, maybe not an “adventure” per say, but we are ready to do something enjoyable together.

We turn the corner. “So what do you want to do?” John asks me, turning his head. His eyes are squinting from the sunlight but I can still see the incandescence shining off his orbs.
“I haven’t gotten a chance to go to any of the wonderful London stores yet. We could always go shopping!” I look at him with an amused smile.

“Yeah, I don’t think so.” He puts his free hand up to his chin, thinking.

“We could… go see a movie,” I suggest. I turn us around a corner toward, putting us on the path to the theatre.

“No, we just saw a movie.” He is intently thinking.

I move close to him, my lips barely touching his ear. “Yeah, but we could sit in the back and make out.” I kiss his earlobe.

John laughs. “As fun as that may sound, I’m not paying that much money just to make out with you when we could easily do that back at my flat or yours.”

“Well, we can do that later,” I say with a giggle, knowing that there is a good chance that we will be doing that later on.

“Ooh! I know!” John exclaims. “You said this was your first time in London?”

“Yes…” I answer, eyeing him.

“So you’ve never been on the London Eye!” He stop walking and gives me a bright grin, hopeful that I will be all for his crazy suggestion.

“The London Eye? I don’t know about that. I know it sounds cliché but I’m terrified of heights. Can we pick something else?” An unsure expression paints over my face and I bite my lip at the thought of being up that high.

“It may be the tallest Ferris wheel in the Europe but trust me, you’ll be fine. You’re enclosed pods. Please?” He pouts the littlest bit.

My eyes search his face and I cannot help but give into that adorableness. “Alright, I’ll try it,” I mumble.

“Great!” John exclaims. He hails a cab and then we roll on our way to the London Eye.

I stare up warily at the massive circular structure before us and I feel all the color drain from my face. I have always been afraid of heights. I think it’s a hereditary thing but both my father and grandfather are scared of the thought of being up so high. But I gulp back my fearful response and follow John into the pod.

We sit down on the left. “Are you ready for this?” He asks, looking at me. He hunches his shoulders, ready for the experience.

“No,” I mutter almost inaudibly. I chew on my lip nervously.

“You’ll be fine,” he says, patting my hand. I then grab it and squeeze his fingers tight.

Suddenly, we start to move and I let out a little yelp, frightened and shocked by the jolt of machinery. Embarrassed, I giggle at myself and John joins me. And the couple across the way just chuckle at us. I snuggle close to John, and my body relaxing. I can feel the stares from the other couple. They are probably confused by an older man with a young girl like me. But I’m more concerned with facing my fear at the moment to care.

By the time we reach the top, my hand is white from squeezing on John’s so tight. My eyes are shut tight. “We’re at the top,” John whispers in my ear. I can feel his warm breath against my skin and I instantly feel better. “Open your eyes.”

I do as I’m told and I lean to look out the window. I’m blown away by the beauty of the city. The lights, the cars, the people that look like little army ants marching back to their hills. It’s all so incredible. I then look back at John, who is smiling amusingly at my awestruck face.

“This is amazing! Thank you for suggesting this!” I sit back in my seat and give him a kiss on the cheek.

“See, I told you that you would like it! Now you have to trust me!” He crosses his arms over his chest, pleased with himself.

“But I already do trust you.” I half-smile and look him in the eye and he stares back at me. It is a moment of pure intimacy.

When we exit the Ferris wheel, we decide to just walk around the city for a while. We observe the bustling loads of people, trying to get home in time for dinner; or the Christmas shoppers with their loads of bags and boxes. John and I discuss many different topics, such as our childhoods—more specifically school.

Suddenly, I realize how dark it has gotten. I check my phone to see that’s 5:26 pm. “Oh my! I’m going to be late for our team dinner party!” I exclaim. My gaze rises back up to John’s face. “I have to go,” I say solemnly.

“That’s fine,” John says, completely understanding my situation.

“Thank you for the wonderful afternoon.” I take his hands and move in close. I kiss him, tongues wrestling. My hands then release from his and I place them on his face. I try to pull away but I can’t help myself. I’m hungry for him and I continue to embrace him. Finally, I’m able to break away. “Good-bye, John.” I then walk away to catch a taxi to take back to my apartment.
♠ ♠ ♠
Aww, what a cute date! A little romance here and there. Well, actually, a lot of romance, I think. The next chapter is going to be great. It's going to go along with my favorite episode of Sherlock. Comment and try to guess what that episode is? Also, I updated the soundtrack with more songs. Check it out!

Virginia's Outfit