The Nanny Diaries

can't fight biology

We were a couple of days deep in the tour and we were in Germany, just finishing up the few dates that we had in those countries like Denmark and Switzerland. Tom had come to visit and I had a couple of days off to clear my head. But today was full of interviews, so Lou was floored with hair and makeup and I was back to being a fulltime nanny.

I decided to take Lux out and sightsee with her in Germany. It was a very beautiful country and seeing it was the beginning of spring, it was gorgeous outside.

I decided to take Lux to the English Gardens in Munich and I was pretty excited myself. My parents owned a farm and when I was little, I would always help my mum and sisters in the garden while my brother helped my dad with the animals. Surprisingly, I had a green thumb and my little garden flourished while weeds always overran my sister’s gardens.

We were halfway walking through the gardens when I noticed that Lux wasn’t acting herself in her stroller. She looked very tired and a little pale. I felt her forehead and realized that she was burning up. I closed my eyes and took a breath. I had never had to deal with a sick child before. I had not clue of what to do.

I rushed her back to the hotel we were staying at for the night. I went to the front desk and ordered some children’s Motrin and three humidifiers. I also told them to stock the room with juice and Jell-O. I didn’t know if Lux had the flu, but I was preparing for the worst.

I took Lux up to our room and noticed that she was shivering, despite the fever. I decided to bundle her up in a bunch of blankets. I went over to the thermostat and turned the heat up to 26 degrees Celsius. I wanted to make sure that Lux would sweat out her fever and to make sure she wasn’t so uncomfortable.

I finally got her all settled and she fell asleep right away. I heard a quiet knock from the door and it was the room service bringing me everything I ordered. I thanked them profusely and told them to put it on the One Direction tab. I set everything up and finally was done.

It was pretty hard taking care of another human being. Being a nanny just solidified my feelings against having children. Maybe in a couple of years, but the thought of being a mother made me want to dry heave.

I collapsed on my bed and turned on the TV, but made sure to mute it so I wouldn’t wake Lux. I must have dozed off because I woke up to frantic knocking on my door.

I quickly hurried over to it, thinking it was Lou checking up on Lux. I had texted her before I fell asleep telling her that Lux was ill. She responded that she was going to hurry over, but with all the interviews and photo shoots, she would probably be a while.

I opened the door to see Harry frowning at me. His eyes traveled down my body and stopped on my chest. His eyes widened and I looked down and realized that I was only wearing a bra. I guess I took off my shirt in my sleep since it was so hot.

I crossed my arms over my chest and glared at Harry.

“This your first time seeing a pair of tits, yeah?” He eyes snapped back up to my face and he continued frowning at me.

“You’re such an arse,” he mumbled while pushing me aside and walking further into my room.

He started to talk to my again but I just put a finger up to my lips to signal to be quiet and pointed to a sleeping Lux.

“What are you doing here? You could get sick for your show tomorrow. Lux has the flu. And if you’re here to help, you can just leave because I’m doing just fine on my own.”

“Ya don’t even go to school, how can I trust you with a toddler?” He glared at me.

“Um, hello? You didn’t even finish you’re A-levels. If you insist on staying, you have to promise not to bother me.” I stated. This boy had some nerve.

He nodded his head and with one movement, pulled his shirt off. I gaped at him, not because he had a fit body, but because it was so out of the blue.

“It’s bloody hot as hell in here.” he stated and crawled into mybed. Who did he think he was? There was only one bed in my room and I sure as hell did not want to share it with Harry.

I watched him as he flipped through the stations and he decided on Crazy, Stupid, Love that was playing on one of the girly stations. He set the remote down and stared intently at the movie screen. I didn’t want to admit it, but it was one of my favorite movies. The combination of Steve Carell humor and Ryan Gosling’s amazing body was perfect.

I carefully walked over to my side of the bed and slowly sat on the edge of it, making sure to stay very far away from the boy on the other side of it. We watched the movie in silence, an occasional laugh here and there, but it was somewhat peaceful.

For some reason, my eyes strayed from the screen and wandered over to stare at Harry out of the corner of my eye. There was only one way to describe Harry shirtless: tattoos.

The kid sure had a lot of them, that’s for sure. His wrists, shoulders, neck, and chest we’re almost covered in them. They weren’t part of a whole piece, but separate ideas littered all over his skin.

My eyes trailed down and stopped on his tattoo just above his waistline. That would also be the same time that he looked over at me and caught me staring at his body. I blushed and my head snapped back to the movie. It was at the part where Steve Carell finds out that Ryan Gosling is dating his daughter. My favorite part was coming up, the part where all of the secrets and love triangles surface.

“Love, ya don’t need to be embarrassed for looking at me. I know I’m fit.” I didn’t need to look at his face to know that a smug smile was plastered on it.

I rolled my eyes.

“Don’t call me love, and you’re not fit. I was just looking at your ink. Quite a lot of tats, yeah?” He shrugged his shoulders and looked back towards the TV. I could tell he felt uncomfortable talking about his tattoos. I didn’t push it and we watched the rest of the movie in silence.

I honestly didn’t get Harry at all. One moment he’s bumping shoulders with me and muttering profanities my way, and the next moment he’s saddled up next to me watching a chick flick while we’re both shirtless. The kid was a headache but he wasn’t that bad when his mouth is shut. He’s almost pleasant.

The credits rolled on the screen and we were quiet for a while. A small groan from Lux’s crib snapped us out of our minds and both of our heads looked over to see Luxy peaking over the sides of the bars with really messy hair. I tried stifling my laughs as I got up to go get her.

“Tat, tat, tat, tat, tat,” She kept repeating the little nickname she gave me as I approached her. I rolled my eyes and hoisted her up in my arms and took her back over to the bed. I sat down and laid Lux across my lap so she was more comfortable.

I brushed some hair off of her forehead and checked her temperature. She was still burning up, so I motioned for Harry to grab the children’s Motrin off the nightstand and to fetch some water. I coaxed Lux to drink the liquid medicine and gave her some water to get the yucky taste out of her mouth. My mom always did that with me when I was sick and I knew it was needed since Motrin is the worst tasting medicine.

I looked over at Harry and he seemed worried. I saw him reach out to touch Lux’s head and play with her hair, but she was having none of that. She just curled closer into my body and snuggled her face into the crook between my arm and my body.

Harry looked embarrassed but that quickly faded and he just looked pissed. He got up off the bed and found his shirt on the floor with all of the other dirty laundry and put it on. He didn’t even say goodbye and he stalked off towards the door and shut it without saying a word to Lux or me.

What was his deal? Was he jealous that Lux was finally warming up to me? The kid was a tidal wave of emotions and I just did not have the energy to keep up with his mood swings.

I moved Lux off of my lap and tried to tidy up the room. I got Lux some juice to drink and refilled all of the humidifiers that were set up in the room. By the time I was done, Lux was already conked out again. I had just put my shirt back on when my door flew open and Lou shuffled in.

“I tried to finish up with interviews as quick as I could. How is she?” Lou questioned in a quiet voice, noticing that Lux was asleep on the bed.

“I think she’s doing better than earlier today, but she’s still pretty sick.” I answered truthfully. Lou still looked worried and I felt like there was something else she wanted to say.

“Harry told me about how he stopped by. He said Lux looked terrible and I was just wondering how you were doing and everything, you being new and all…” Lou trailed off looking embarrassed, but I totally knew what she was talking about. I had no experience and she didn’t know if her child was getting worse under my care.

“No, I totally understand, but I have been giving her medicine and plenty of fluids. Do you want me to keep watching her so you don’t get sick for the shows tomorrow?” Lou shook her head no so for the next hour we transferred all of my supplies over to her room and when we were finally done, I was pooped.

I collapsed in my bed at about 10 at night and realized that I, myself, had caught Lux’s fever. What a long day.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'M SO SORRY. I SUCK SO MUCH. I SUCK I SUCK I'M SORRY. PLEASE STICK WITH THIS I SWEAR I STILL HAVE IDEAS W THIS SOMETIMES I JUST GET REALLY LAZY AND I'M JUST THE WORST PERSON EVER. I'M SORRY.