The Nanny Diaries

unaccompanied minor

We finished off the rest of our European tour relatively stress free. The shows went smoothly, Lux and I went sightseeing and everything was peaceful. We had a week off before the boys headed to Mexico, which I promptly spent on my couch. The boy’s schedules were all free, which meant that Lou was free to spend some time with Lux. And I was reunited with my best friend – the TV.

I didn’t see the boys at all that whole week and it was like a breath of fresh air. I wasn’t stressed about a fussy toddler and making sure she didn’t cause mischief. My “me” week was over too fast, as usual vacations are, but I shouldn’t really be complaining. I was finally going to the States! Once I started realizing that I was crossing the pond, I couldn’t be more excited.

One Direction was leaving for Mexico the 3rd of June and Lux and I were leaving for Florida the Friday after they left. I made sure to pack all the necessary things for summer in the States. Since my paychecks were more than I could ever ask for, I did some shopping so that I looked good while simultaneously being a proper nanny.

Lou, of course, fussed over Lux until I literally screamed at her to get onto the plane. I understood her not wanting to be apart from her baby, but she was seriously holding up the line.

Mothers.

The following days after that, Lux and I just hung out. It was getting quite boring, but finally it was time to get to Florida. The plane time from London to Miami is about 9 hours, so I planned to sleep the whole time. Lux had other plans and kept wanting to be entertained. Lou also sent a bodyguard with us, just for precautions, but he kept his distance.

I was quite nervous for the States. I had no real expectations of the country except that it was enormous and overwhelming. The first thing that I had planned for Lux and I after we checked into our hotel was to head down to the beach.

I had already looked up some things for us to do while we waited for Lou and the boys to join us in Florida. I figured we would hit up the beach as well as Zoo Miami and Seaquarium.

We finally landed in Miami and there was a car out front waiting for us to take us to the hotel. If I could describe Florida in one word it would be: humid. I felt a little suffocated by the heat and humidity and was relieved to find that the AC was on full blast in the car.

I could tell that Lux did not like the heat either. I made sure to get her down to the beach right away so I could cool her off. I unpacked her suit when we got to the hotel, put her hair in pigtails and lathered her up in sunscreen.

Fortunately, the hotel was right up against the ocean and we didn’t have to walk far. I felt a little uncomfortable about having the bodyguard follow me everywhere, but I guess the girls were crazier in the States.

Lux and I played by the water and made a sand castle. She looked like she was having the time of her life, which made me happy too. I dug my phone out of the bag that I packed for us and snapped a pic of Luxy to send to Lou.

“Oh my god! Is that Lux? Are you Tatum? Omg, are you like, dating someone in One Direction? Can I like, have their numbers?” About five teenage girls interrupted Lux and me from our photo shoot. I felt a little uncomfortable since this was my first interaction with their “fans”. I felt like a fish out of water.

“Uh, yeah?” I stared up at the fourteen–year–olds while they all had their phones out, snapping away at Lux while simultaneously cooing at her. Their wide eyes snapped over to me and I mentally cringed because I just realized what I confirmed.

“Oh my god! Which one? Is it Harry? Omg is he good in bed? I can’t believe we’re actually talking to you! You’re like famous.” It was impressive how fast these American girls could talk. I almost couldn’t keep up with all of their questions.

“Wait, no. I mean, yes I am Tatum. No, I am not dating anyone in One Direction.” I stammered. By then I had gotten up and was standing in front of them while still watching Lux as she was playing the with sand.

The girls wanted to chat with me some more and they even asked for a picture. With me! I was so caught off guard and refused, but they kept whining and I just wanted it to stop, so I gave in. It was very weird to say the least. But after they were gone, Lux and I weren’t bothered.

We spent a couple of hours down at the beach and by the time the sun was setting, Lux was spent. I boosted her up in my arms and walked back to the hotel with her sleeping on my shoulder.

By the time I got her asleep in her crib, the sun had had its affect on me. I went to take a quick shower and winced at the sight of my shoulders. They were bright pink and were hot to the touch. I mentally reminded myself to pick up some aloe tomorrow when we went out.

I had always had that problem. My first time in the sun always left me with pink skin, which would quickly turn into a tan in a few days, but still frustrated me. I slipped into bed and was hoping the rest of tour wasn’t filled with all of these fans.

&&

My prayers weren’t answered.

There were at least 5-10 teenage girls at every stop where Lux and I went sightseeing. I have no clue how they found where we were going, but they all wanted the same things: a picture with Lux and I (god knows why) and to gossip about One Direction. Mainly, gossip about One Direction and there was always one bold girl who asked if I was sleeping with any of them. I always answered with a glare and that seemed to shut them up.

It was really overwhelming and nerve wracking to be noticed in public. I certainly didn’t like it and I couldn’t imagine what the boys went through on a daily basis. At least I only had to deal with a couple of girls at a time. They boys deal with hundreds at a time. I don’t know how they do it.

The lads and Lou were due at the airport this afternoon and I was meeting them at a restaurant somewhere for a “celebration”. I guess they were excited about being in the US again and wanted to do something special. Whatever, I just followed orders.

I made sure to give Lux a bath and make her hair somewhat tamable. As for myself, I just stuck with a maxi dress and some sunglasses to hide my burnt face.

A car took us to the restaurant and gave our name to the hostess. She led us back to a secluded corner and I immediately spotted Lou’s silver mop before anything else. Lou saw me first as well and hopped up to grab Lux. I let them have their moment as I went and sat down. The only open seat was between Lou and Zayn. I quietly sat down and all the boy’s eyes were on me as I took off my sunglasses.

“Did ya have some fun in the sun?” Niall piped up from across the table. Snickers rang out from the boys and I gave him the bird as Lou sat down next to me.

“Now, now, play nice.” She scolded with a smile on her face. I noticed that the boys had gotten some color while they were in Mexico, but not as much as I did. The tan suited them well, while I just looked like a cooked lobster.

The dinner was filled with light conversation, mostly just the boys and Lou talking about upcoming events and inside jokes they had with each other. No one brought me into the conversation and I was totally okay with that. I wasn’t really concerned with their shenanigans in Mexico so I was pretty much tuned out the whole time.

“So, Tatum, I saw some pictures of you and Lux on the Internet with some fans. How’s it like being recognized on the street?”

My head snapped up from where I was scrolling on my phone from under the table. I tried to match the voice with the face but everyone was looking at me now so it was hard to pinpoint.

“Um, what? Pictures? Where?”

“The Internet…I just said that. Do you ever listen?” Ah, it was Louis who was speaking to me. I shook my head at him and he grinned at me. But I finally realized what he was saying. There were pictures of me on the Internet. Me.

“Wait, pictures of me? Show me right now.” I demanded. Louis tapped and scrolled on his phone for a few minutes until he got the page up. He handed over his phone and I saw an article on Sugarscape and front and center, there was a picture with Lux in my hands while we were at Zoo Miami looking at the seals.

“Who knew that nannies could be hot? The tall, blonde bombshell is Tatum Peck, Lou Teasdale’s new nanny. Now, now, girls put your claws away, rumor has it she’s just the new nanny, nothing going on with any of the boys.

She’ll be with One Direction the rest of tour looking after Lux, so be sure to keep an eye out for those long legs! And you’re in luck, she adores fans, so don’t be shy!”


I looked up from the phone and my mouth was hanging open. Bombshell? Adores fans? What was all this bullocks? I sat there frozen and Louis reached across the table and slipped his phone from my grip but I hardly even noticed.

Why did this have to happen to me? I was just a girl from Suffolk and now I was featured in an article on a gossip website.

I was pulled from my trance when Lou put a hand on my shoulder with a reassuring smile.

“Love, don’t worry, this’ll blow over fast. You’re just fresh news, by this time next week, they’ll have another hot story. Don’t let it get to you.” She gave me another smile and then the conversation was directed elsewhere.

While they chitchatted the rest of dinner, I couldn’t get my mind off that bloody article. No doubt my mum and sisters will see it, not to mention the rest of the world. I just wish that’d it would blow over soon because it was making me feel so uneasy.

It had been little over an hour and we were finally done with dinner. I couldn’t wait to get back to the hotel, crawl underneath my covers, and never come out again.

We were out in front of the restaurant waiting for the car to come pick us up when Niall spoke up again.

“Hey, Tatum. We’re thinking about going out tonight and celebrating, ya know? Join us, yeah?” My eyes went wide and I saw Harry knock shoulders with Niall, giving him an annoyed look. But Niall never broke eye contact with me.

“Um, no thanks?”

Niall’s smile vanished and, thankfully, the cars pulled up to distract him from trying to persuade me. All the boys pilled into one and Lou, Lux, and I took the other one.

“Love, you should’ve gone with them. You need to let loose.” Lou knocked shoulders with me and I gave her a strained smile while we got settled in the car that would take us back to the hotel.

“Yeah, but I don’t really know them that well. It would have been awkward, plus Harry would just be giving me the stink eye the whole time.” She let out a laugh and slung an arm over my shoulders. She had a little wine at dinner so I blame this behavior on the alcohol.

“Just give ‘im time love, I believe he’ll come around. Next time they ask you to go out, you’re going!”

“But-”

“No arguing! Now get out of the car,” she demanded. Maybe she had more than a little wine. I followed her orders and we got her checked in. I escorted her to her room and she assured me that she was okay to take Lux and I was honestly too tired to argue with her.

I was so tired from watching Lux all week and finding out that I’m hot new gossip, that I didn’t even remember my head hitting the pillow.
♠ ♠ ♠
Guys look at me go. Maybe if I'm motivated, I'll get another one out by Monday???
Also! Harry and Tatum are not going to be friends for a while (or maybe ever) so just trust me cause it's gonna be a bumpy (but fun) ride. OKAY.
Tell me what you think!!! (I know, it was a boring chapter)