Embrace

Chapter 2

Once we finally made it to the castle, I stared at it in awe. There were never buildings like this in Konoha. There was a huge, beautiful lake that was south from the castle. Of course, that meant it was right in front of us due to the fact that the train station was southeast of the lake. "Okay, Mizore, you can shut your mouth now," Ginny said to me, grinning like a fool. I shut it quickly, hearing a loud clunk from my teeth.

"Sorry. I'm not used to the whole 'Magic' concept yet," I told her. I had filled her in on everything except what my object was. I didn't think she would take that too kindly. And just like that, I had my first best friend. She told me some secrets about certain things like who she likes (Dean by the way) but I obviously had no idea what she was talking about. "Okay, before I totally freak and step into a room crowded with people that use sticks as weapons, I need to find Gaara. I'll catch up with you," I said quickly, scanning the crowd for the redhead with the gourd. Once I finally found him, I started up conversation, completely casual and talking about serious matters. Hopefully no one would eavesdrop.

"So, what are we gonna do if we aren't in the same House? After all, it would make us meeting difficult," I said it casually with a hint of a flirtatious tone. Any passerby would think it normal that a girl was flirting with a guy around her age. He actually looked a little uncomfortable and I smirked.

"That is not a concern. It might actually be better," he replied emotionlessly, almost cold.

I was a little taken aback. I mean, he was notorious for being a cold hearted murderer but it still stung a little. "Well next time you want me to leave just say so!" I hissed, angry at him for some reason. I couldn't tell a soul why for the life of me. I stomped away and nearly collided with Ginny. "Sorry," I muttered.

"What's the matter?" she asked, concerned. I smiled at her, Knowing I had a friend I could count on.

"Nothing important," I told her truthfully, and it was true. Gaara's attitude was no concern of mine. "Can I meet the famous Dean now?" I asked excitedly.

"Shh!" Ginny whisper-yelled, throwing her hands over my mouth. I giggled like a four year old and licked her hand. "Eew." I just giggled more as she finally took her hands off. "You can meet him later! I promise, just not now!" she whispered. "Well...I kind of have to sit down at my table while you get sorted, so, uh, see you later, Mizore," she said while giving me a quick hug before running off to join her other friends. I smiled after her, thinking about how much I would give to have her life.

I suddenly felt a grainy substance against my ankle and I immediately looked down. Gaara's sand. I should've known. I glared at him and he just smirked. I returned the smirked as I turned it into glass with my own special technique of molecular manipulation, meaning I could use molecules to do what I want, depending on the task. This time though, I caused them to heat up around his sand to the point it turned to glass. It was his turn to glare. "Thank you," I mouthed to him. I now had a new anklet, and it was pretty. Too bad it was going to break later.

An old guy stood up from his chair and silence reigned over. I knew this guy was Professor Dumbledore, an extremely amazing wizard. Of course I only knew the basics about him from his file. "Let the sorting begin!" he said, his voice booming around the room. But it wasn't a threatening boom, it was comforting. An elderly woman dressed in green, who I instantly knew not to cross with, stepped up with a hat and a stool appeared by her side. And the hat began to sing.

' In times of old when I was new
And Hogwarts barely started
The Founders of our noble school
Thought never to be parted:
nited by a common goal,
They had the selfsame yearning
To make the world's best magic school
And pass along their learning.
"Together we will build and teach!"
The Four good friends decided
And never did they dream that they
Might someday be divided,
For were there such friends anywhere
As Slytherin and Gryffindor?
Unless it was the second pair
Of Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw?
So how could it have gone so wrong?
How could such friendships fail?
Why, I was there and so can tell
The whole sad, sorry tale.
Said Slytherin, "We'll teach just those
Whose ancestry is purest."
Said Ravenclaw, "We'll teach those whose
Intelligence is surest."
Said Gryffindor, "We'll teach all those
With brave deeds to their name,"
Said Hufflepuff, "I'll teach the lot,
And treat them just the same."
These differences caused little strife
When first they came to light,
For each of the four founders had
A House in which they might
Take only those they wanted, so,
For instance, Slytherin
Took only pure-blood wizards
Of great cunning, just like him,
And only those of sharpest mind
Were taught by Ravenclaw
While the bravest and the boldest
Went to daring Gryffindor,
Good Hufflepuff, she took the rest,
And taught them all she knew,
Thus the Houses and their founders
Retained friendships firm and true.
So Hogwarts worked in harmony
For several happy years,
But the discord crept among us
Feeding on our faults and fears.
The Houses that, like pillars four,
Had once held up our school,
Now turned upon each other and,
Divided, sought to rule.
And for a while it seemed the school
Must meet an early end,
What with dueling and with fighting
And the clash of friend on friend
And at last there came a morning
When old Slytherin departed
And though the fighting then died out
He left us quite downhearted.
And never since the founders four
Were whittled down to three
Have the Houses been united
And they once were meant to be.
And now the Sorting Hat is here
And you all know the score:
I sort you into Houses
Because that is what I'm for,
But this year I'll go further,
Listen closely to my song:
Though condemned I am to split you
Still I worry that it's wrong,
Though I must fulfill my duty
And must quarter every year
Still I wonder whether sorting
May not bring the end I fear.
Oh, know the perils, read the signs,
The warning history shows,
For our Hogwarts is in danger
From external, deadly foes
And we must unite inside her
Or we'll crumble from within
I have told you, I have warned you..
Let the sorting now begin.'

I thought the song strange but everyone clapped and cheered, well, except for the ones dressed in green. They politely clapped their hands. Then the woman pulled out a scroll and called my name. "Fuyu, Mizore."

I felt myself pale, well pale more than I already was. Really? I had to be first? I bloody hate crowds. Great, now I'm using British swear words even in my head. I walked up as casually as I could, my face emotionless, and sat down on the stool.

'Hmm...tricky...maybe Ravenclaw or Slytherin...no...I know where to put you'..."Gryffindor!" he said aloud. The table with student dressed in red and gold cheered as I made my merry way to the table.

"Sabaku No Gaara!" The room went silent again as the stony redhead made his way to the stool and sat down. I swear he was up there for at least ten minutes before he shouted out, "Slytherin!" Gaara didn't even acknowledge most of the cheers. He just sat down next to Malfoy and his goons, a couple feet away, of course.

After all of the first years were sorted I asked Ginny, "Who is that woman that called out all of our names?"

"Oh, that's Professor McGonagall, the Head of our House. Don't worry, she's only strict but fair, a personal favorite," Ginny replied warmly.

"May I have your attention, please," Professor Dumbledore said while rising from his chair. The whole room fell silent. The amount of respect this man held was incredible. "This year we have a new Defense Against the Dark Arts. I would like you to welcome Professor Delores Umbridge."

I only have one thing to say: a woman who wears that much pink cannot be healthy to be around. Who knew I would end up being right?