Status: On hold

Bells Ringing in the Summer Haze

Twelve.

“Nora, these are the best gifts any bride can receive.” Val wiped away a tear and smiled. She held the brown boots, facing up, reading over the engraving.

“Valerie Hughes, best cousin and bride, July 16, 2012.”

“No crying,” Nora said smiling and handing Val a tissue. “Save the tears for the ceremony. You look beautiful and we don’t want mascara smudging.”

They were both wearing robes as they just finished their hair and makeup. The limo was scheduled to pick them up in an hour, and Nora wanted Valerie to take her time getting ready.

“But really, thank you. No one, besides Brian, gets me like you. You even get some things more than he does.”

Nora took her cousin’s hand. “You two were made for each other, and honestly, I am so happy I am a part of this day. I’m glad we grew up together and am so close. You’re more of a sister than a cousin.”

-------

Nora was slipping on her shoes in her room when the door opened and Val stepped in.

“Can you help me button up the dress?” Nora looked up and smiled.

“Oh my God Val, you’re so beautiful.” Val blushed and swished back and forth with her dress.

“You’ve seen the dress already, you helped pick it out!” A small laugh escaped her lips and she smiled.

“I know, but it’s so different now that today is the day.”

Nora stepped up behind her cousin and took her fingers and began buttoning each of the pearl buttons. The strapless dress flared out into a princess gown, and was simple, but Val didn’t want an elegant gown.

“It looks amazing, I knew it would. But seeing the finish product, wow.” Nora said as she finished the last buttons.

“Simple is perfect,” she had said as she and Nora walked into the dress store. They had been to five stores, and their mothers wanted to strangle Valerie. Nora knew her cousin though, they weren’t going to stop until the found the one.

They were about to leave when Nora asked to walk around the store one more time. Val had tried on dozens and was standing in a mermaid styled gown until Nora found the gem hiding in the corner.

Smiling, she carried it to her and ushered Val into the fitting room without showing the full gown to her. She had Val face away from the mirror and helped her into the dress, and surprised her with the gown.

“All done,” Nora said stepping away and opening her closet door to show Valerie. Turning, Val picked up the veil and stepped closer to Nora. Nora stood on her tiptoes and placed the veil in the perfect spot. Val’s hair curled down past her shoulders and her bangs swooped to the side.

“You look perfect, let’s get you hitched.”

-------

Claire and Jeremy, one of Brian’s groomsmen had just stepped out and were heading down to the aisle.

The barn was magical, all the decorations were set up, and everything looked perfect. The lanterns weren’t lit yet, but they looked rustic to fit in. The sunflower mason jars hung on the edges of the aisle. In the barn, there were twinkle lights strung across the banisters overhead.

“Thanks again for this morning,” Isaac said as Nora stepped up to him. He offered her his arm; she blushed and placed her hand on his arm. Nora nudged Isaac in the side with her elbow.

He grunted and sighed. “Come on.” He started and Nora looked at him.

“My cousin’s wedding is starting, shut the hell up and smile.” The barn doors opened and they both smiled as everyone turned to the aisle to watch them walk in.

Just behind her, Valerie and her father, Rick, walked up and everyone stood. They waited until Nora and Isaac took their places in the front of the room. The music switched and the bride made her entrance.

------

“I would like to introduce to you for the first time Mr. and Mrs. Brian Holder!” Everyone stood and clapped on the makeshift dance floor slash eating area.

The fast techno music turned into a slow melody as Brian took Val into his arms and twirled her across the floor. Nora felt a smile stretch across her face.

“Finally your hard work is done,” Isaac whispered besides her.

She turned and looked at him. Smiling, she clinked her cup onto his. “Cheers to that.” She took a big gulp of the bubbly liquid and smiled.

Everyone seemed happy, the food hadn’t been served yet, but she knew the appetizers probably worked their magic.

“I now ask for the couples, and the bridal party, to come out and join the happy couple.” The DJ said into the microphone.

Val turned towards the table and winked at Isaac. He turned to Nora and smiled.

“Care to dance?” She looked at Val and Val nodded. Placing her hand in his, he smiled and brought her to the dance floor.

“So where’s your date?” Nora asked as Isaac pulled her closer.

He looked down at her and raised an eyebrow. “What are you talking about?” His blue eyes dug into hers and she wanted to slink to her seat.

“That girl, that was with you at the rehearsal dinner.” He lifted his head and laughed.

“Oh god no. She’s a reporter who was doing a piece on the wedding.”

“And you just happen to put your arm around every reporter you know?”

“Jealous are we?” He asked smiling.

She shook her head and went to pull away. He tightened his grip and smiled. “She’s my brother’s girlfriend. Relax, I’m not dating anyone…yet.”

-------

“Cheers,” Brianna said smiling as the bridesmaids and Nora clanked shot glasses together before throwing their heads back and drowning the brown liquid.

A faster tempo song poured through the big speakers and Nora saw Val smile and head her way.

“Come on, it’s our song,” Nora rolled her eyes but couldn’t fight a smile pulling at her lips. She grabbed her cousin’s hand and they went to the middle of the dance floor.

They began to move to the rhythm and soon the dancers formed a circle around them, cheering them on.

Nora and Val laughed and twirled in circles, both of their dresses fanning out. They did their famous finger-pointing dance, and continued to laugh as the song carried on.

The song ended and the crowd clapped. Nora wrapped Val in a hug and they laughed.

“It’s now time for the bride to toss her bouquet. All the single ladies, you know what to do.”

Beyoncé’s Single Ladies came blaring through the speakers and Nora found herself being pulled by Claire and Rachel. Brianna was engaged and she happily sat on her fiancée’s lap, and watched.

Val held up her fake flowers and smiled at the crowd. She caught Nora’s eyes and winked. They always joked she would catch her bouquet on her wedding day, but with Nora’s luck Isaac would catch the garter.

Val turned and gave a few fake tosses until she threw her arms all the way up behind her and the bright yellow flowers came straight at Nora.
♠ ♠ ♠
That was part 1 of the wedding. More to come in a few days!

Let me know what all you lovely readers think :)