Status: On hold

Bells Ringing in the Summer Haze

Thirteen.

A pale hand whipped past Nora’s face, gripped the stems and pulled them to her body.

Nora let out a sigh of relief, Val pouted but smiled as the blonde ran over and hugged Val.

“Dodged that bullet,” Nora whispered to Claire. Clare giggled and they headed to the bar as the groom slid off Val’s garter.

After the pictures were taken of Val, Brian and the pair who caught the garter and bouquet were finished; Val joined the girls at the bar.

“You were supposed to catch the flowers,” Val said to Nora.

Nora shrugged and sipped her drink. “What did you want me to do? Tackle her?”

“Yes, you were supposed to catch them, and then Isaac was supposed to catch the garter. Brian and I discussed this.” Val said taking a sip of her drink.

“Discussed what?” Isaac asked as he and Brian joined the circle at the bar.

“Nothing, why don’t you go dance with Isaac?” Val asked Nora.

Nora glared at her cousin. “I’m drinking something right now, maybe later.”

As she walked away she heard Brian telling Val to let it go.

“No, she’s my cousin. She deserves to be happy.” Val said as she looked at Brian.

“I am right here people,” Isaac said, grabbing his beer by the bottleneck and leaving the area.

Nora was out on the dance floor with Alex, Brianna and her fiancé Ron. Isaac leaned against a wooden pillar and watched. He rubbed the back of his neck and sighed.

The curls in Nora’s hair were drooping, falling like they always did halfway through the day. Her cheeks were flushed, her bright green eyes closed as she laughed at Ron. Her pink drink was half empty in the cup, her pale delicate hand held it away from her body.

“I wasn’t trying to say you don’t deserve to be happy,” Val said as she leaned against Isaac.

“I know, but I don’t think I can make her happy.” He undied his bowtie and let the fabric hang around his neck. He ditched the jacket early on, the heat in the barn made it unbearable to wear.

“I think that’s bullshit, and you know it. Look,” she said. She stepped in front of him and made her look at her. “I know my cousin better than anyone, sometimes better than she does. I know she likes you, and if you could be a man for five seconds, ask her out properly, I know she would say yes.”

Isaac looked at her; she smiled and nodded. “So, grow a pair and ask her.” Val said wish a shove. He stumbled and caught Nora’s attention.

Nora raised an eyebrow and stopped dancing with the group.

“You okay Isaac?”

“I’d be better,” he said taking a big swig.

“If?”

“If you would dance with me.”

She smiled and shook her head. “That was cheesy,” she said. He started to frown. “But I like cheesy.”

------

Val and Brian left the barn around midnight, heading off to their honeymoon. Nora smiled as she sat at a small table, listening to the conversations flow around her.
“You okay Hughes?”

She nodded at Isaac and sighed. “I need to clean up, but I’m far too drunk. I’ll need to come back tomorrow morning.”

“I can help you, but can I drive you home first?”

She looked up at him, he held his hand out to hers, and pulled her up when she placed her hand in his.

“Thanks,” she said as she picked up her shoes.

“I don’t want anything to happen to you,” he said, pulling her closer as they walked through the crowd.

Most of the guests had headed out, but a lot of family of both the groom and bride were still partying.

“Your parents can party,” Isaac said laughing after Nora told her parents bye.

“I know; it’s kind of embarrassing.” She said smiling. “I think that’s where Val gets it from. Me? I’m just a big ol’ lightweight.”

“I think it’s awesome they are like that. And I like that you’re small and a lightweight. Makes me feel better knowing you won’t drink too much.”

Nora picked up the bottom of her dress as she slid into the small black vehicle. Isaac softly closed the door for her, and took a deep breath before he got into the driver’s side.

Nora, even in her drunken state, knew they haven’t been alone in awhile. It would take, at least, a half an hour to get to her apartment. She was at a loss for words, she was nervous.

She cleared her throat as he started the car. He looked at her, caught her eyes, and smiled.

“Thanks for doing this,” she whispered.

“You don’t have to thank me.”

She nodded and leaned her head back against the headrest. He turned and faced the road before heading out.

------

The car stopped in front of Nora’s apartment. The house was fairly cheap for this side of town. She wasn’t sure how Valerie found it, but the landlord never increased the rent out of the three years Nora lived there.

She starred at the pale white paint, the light green shutters, and she knew she forgot to turn a light on. She sighed and picked up her bag, digging for her keys.

Isaac turned the light on for her, watching as her eyes narrowed, her lips thinned and her face grew pink.

“Damn it, I have no idea where they are. I think I left them at Val’s. Or they could be in the limo. I don’t remember,” she sighed.

She looked up, saw him watching her and blushed.

“You can stay at my place, and in the morning we will go look for the keys. I have a spare key to their place at my house,” he said. She paused. “Or, I can take you to your parents?”

She shook her head no. “I can stay at your place, that’s fine.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, so after chapter 12, I can't find any story notes. Bare with me here.

I am working full-time and will write when I can.

Let me know if any of you readers are still reading this!