Status: On hold

Bells Ringing in the Summer Haze

Fifteen.

“This seems a little too dressy for Jo’s.” Nora said as she pinned back strands of hair.

“Who the hell cares? No one will say that to you, you look gorgeous.” She entered the bathroom behind Nora and reapplied her lipstick.

Her skin was newly tanned from spending a week on the golden sands. Her long blonde hair was wavy and flowing down to her mid-back. Her long lean legs were visible under her yellow dress. She slipped on some wedges, and her height increased.

“Like you need those,” Nora said, nodding at the shoes.

“You know I love my heels,” She winked and left the bathroom. Nora sprayed her favorite perfume, and turned off the lights.

“You okay to drive?” Nora asked Val. Val laughed and shook her head.

“No, that’s why Brian is here, silly.”

“You already got my wife drunk?” He asked as Nora slid into the backseat. She smiled and Val leaned over to kiss his cheek.

“That’s what I’m here for.”

------

The bar was crowded and loud by time the three pulled up. The parking lot was full, and the patio was so crowded you couldn’t move.

“Since when is Jo’s this popular?” Brian asked as he navigated the girls though to the back of the bar. Nora was careful not to step on anyone’s toes, and Val stopped every few minutes to be congratulated.

When the three finally hit the back of the bar, everyone stood and cheered. Nora blushed and immediately took a shot that Claire was holding out.

“Thank you,” she mumbled before drowning the brown liquid back. “Ew, that’s gross.”

Claire shrugged and smiled. “Yeah, but it works.” She handed her a fruity drink and stepped closer.

“Isaac is here, he’s at the bar. Just wanted to give you a heads up.”

“Thank you, I needed that.” She gulped down her drink, “And now, I need another drink.”

She took a deep breath and headed off toward the bar. She was able to push through a couple of guys, and they eagerly allowed her to sit when they saw her outfit.

“Thank you,” she smiled. “These shoes are killing me.” She shook her foot at them.

“I don’t know who you’re trying to impress tonight darling, but if he isn’t you can come right back to me,” He said with a wink.

Nora smiled and quickly slipped away after her drink was paid for. Rolling her eyes when her back was towards them, she headed towards her friends.

She saw Isaac out of the corner of her eye, talking to a tall blonde. She had tan skin, and tight jeans on. Nora stumbled for a moment, and kept walking.

“So stupid,” she mumbled. “Why would I even bother.”

She downed her drink and sighed.

“What’s wrong?” Val asked sitting next to her on a bench. After Nora didn’t respond, she followed her gaze and let her mouth fall open.

“Who the hell does he think he is?” She turned and called Brian over.

“What’s your friend doing honey?” She asked nicely.

“Oh, well now he’s my friend huh? I don’t know. Being a jackass like usual.” He pushed through the crowd, and when he reached Isaac he slapped him on the shoulder.

The girls could see from their spot, as Isaac smiled and let Brian talk. They leaned close together so the stranger couldn’t hear.

Isaac shook his head and faced Brian completely, allowing his back to face the blonde. She flicked her hair back and left her spot. Val grinned and casually sipped her drink.

“Are you out? Have mine,” she said as she got up and headed towards Isaac and Brian.

------

“I wasn’t flirting with her,” Isaac started. Brian raised an eyebrow and he sighed. “Fine, maybe a bit. But who cares?” He asked as he signaled the bartender for another beer.

He looked and saw Nora out of the corner of his eye. She was wearing a short black dress and killer black heels. Her long brain hair looked shiny, he knew it was soft from running his hands through it.

She looked sad as she listened to Claire talk. She saw her nod but he could tell she wasn’t really in the conversation.

“Are you joking? Have you seen Nora?” Brian asked as he sipped his beer.

Isaac shook his head no and took a gulp of beer. He lied, of course he saw her. He saw her when she came in, when she got in between two drunks down the bar, and when she squeezed through the crowd.

“No, but I feel like I messed up the other night. She was drunk, and I kissed her. I know I should’ve waited.”

“Well have you said anything to her?”

“Not really, I keep making excuses so we don’t have to hang out.”

“You’re an asshole,” Val said as she took the empty seat. “My cousin looks hot tonight for you, and she’s by herself.”

He turned and looked at her, but noticing Nora out of the corner of his eye. “What do you mean for me?”

“You heard me,” she said as she flagged down the bartender. “Now go, before I tell say you can’t date her.”

She handed him a new beer and a drink for Nora and pushed him away from the bar. Brian laughed and wrapped an arm around his new wife.

“I love you, you know that?”

She looked up at him and grinned. “I know.”

------

“Nora,” she stopped talking to Alex and Claire and turned to face Isaac. Alex and Claire suddenly headed to go talk to Val and Brian.

“Hey,” she said. She began to pull on the hair tie on her wrist. A nervous habit she picked up over the years.

He handed her the drink, and took her hand. “Don’t be nervous around me,” he said close to her ear.

“I can’t help it, I made out with you and then you didn’t want to be around me.”

“Not because it wasn’t enjoyable. I just felt that I pushed you.”

“If I didn’t want to kiss you, I wouldn’t have. Isaac, if you don’t talk to me, and make our friends make you, then I don’t even see us going further.”

She looked up at him and he nodded. “No, I know.” He pushed hair behind her ear. “I really like you Hughes, I’ll start talking to you. I promise.”

She smiled and wrapped an arm around his waist. He smiled before pulling her closer, and lifting up her face. She closed her eyes and let him kiss her in front of the entire bar.
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter isn't as long as the others, I know. But, I think the ending is perfect.

I haven't gotten any feedback since I started posting again, but I am going to keep posting because I love writing.

Don't be afraid to speak, even if you tell me you hate the story. It's okay! I promise!