Status: On hold

Bells Ringing in the Summer Haze

Sixteen.

“So how are you and Isaac?” Val asked as she and Nora picked new items for Sunflower.

“Good, we’re going out to dinner tonight.” Val smiled and clapped.

“I’m so happy for you both. You knew when he kissed you a month ago at Jo’s, I wanted to die.”

Nora smiled and shook her head. “You know, people probably didn’t even notice until you screamed and ran over.”

“Oh they noticed honey. You looked incredible and let’s face it; he’s hot. People notice when two hot people kiss in a bar.”

“Please Val, they didn’t. But I’m glad it happened, and he does actually talk to me when he’s thinking about things.”

“Good,” she said as she circled a couple items in a catalogue. “Have you slept with him yet?”

------

“Someone’s birthday is coming up,” Brian said as he picked up Isaac.

“Dude, I know. I need Val to take me shopping to get her something.”

“You don’t know what to get your girlfriend? You’ve been dating almost two months.”

“I don’t really know if she’s my girlfriend.” Isaac said slipping his Oakley’s onto his face.

“What are you talking about?” Brian asked as she switched lanes. “She’s not seeing anyone else, you’re not. If you are, I’ll beat you. She’s family now.”

“Dude, relax. I’m not, but are we exclusive enough to have a title? I don’t even know the rules, this is the farthest I’ve gone with a girl since high school.”

“Dude, you’re her boyfriend.”

Isaac smiled and nodded. “I’m more than okay with that title. But no, I don’t really know what to get her. She’s so simple yet, not. She doesn’t like having things she’s not going to need. And she’s okay with saying not to get her things she know she won’t use.”

Brian nodded and smiled. “I know I don’t know what Val is getting her. So ask her. All I know is we are having a party on a boat.”

“Does she know?”

“I’m sure she knows Val is planning something, but she doesn’t know the extent of it. So keep your mouth shut. Even if she tries to persuade you,” he said with a wink.

“Dude, stop. We haven’t had sex.”

“You really are her boyfriend.”

------

The bell above the door at Sunflower rang chiming a new customer. Nora had her office door open; she was ordering new jackets for the fall season. She had her eyes glued to the screen she didn’t even notice Isaac appear with a bouquet of Sunflowers.

“Hello beautiful birthday girl,” he said snapping her out of her work.

“Isaac, hey handsome.” She stood and wrapped her arms around his waist. He wrapped his button shirt clad arm around her and kissed the top of her head.

“Happy birthday,” he whispered, leaning down to place a kiss on her nude lipstick covered lips.

“Thank you,” he handed her the flowers. She smiled and grabbed a vase from her desk. “These are beautiful.”

“Beautiful flowers for a beautiful girl. I want to take you to lunch,” she nodded and held up a finger as she ran water into the vase.

“ I’d love to, I need a break anyway.”

As they sat a familiar street café, they watched people walk by. Nora closed her eyes and let the sun soak into her skin.

“Do you feel any older?” She smiled and shook her head.

“No, do I look older?”

“Nope, you look like the same Nora to me.” He said before he took a sip of his drink. “And that’s the way I like it.”

“So Val won’t tell me if anything is going on tonight.” He shrugged and smiled. “Isaac, come on. I need to know what to wear.”

“What’s wrong with what you’re wearing?”

She looked down at herself and back at him. “Are you kidding?”

“No, babe, seriously.”

She stopped and looked at him. “What?’ he asked.

“You’ve never called me babe before. I like it.”

He smiled and reached across the glass table and grabbed her hand. Running his thumb over her knuckles, he chuckled.

“Well, you’re my girlfriend right?”

“I better be by now Isaac.” She said as she starred at him. “I mean I wasn’t waiting for you to ask me, we aren’t in high school.”

He laughed and shook his head. “No, I know, but I was making sure. You’re the longest relationship I’ve had in years.”

She smiled and nodded. She looked at him with his brown hair, lightning at the ends from the summer sun. His muscled body was tanned and his chocolate brown eyes starred into hers.

“What babe, why are you starring?”

She shrugged a shoulder and smiled. “Just admiring.”

“Well in that case, admire away.”
♠ ♠ ♠
A shorter chapter before it all goes down hill....