Status: On hold

Bells Ringing in the Summer Haze

Two.

Pushing open the vacant storefront door, Nora smiled. In front of her, cars drove by, abiding by the slower speed of the main road.

Looking behind her at the building, the empty shell of a store she now owned, she suppressed a yell and a happy dance as she shook the hands of the previous owners. They drew a hard bargain, but Nora was prepared. She learned about the property values of the town, she did her homework and made enough money to make a solid deal.

Walking back into the soon to be store, she pulled out her black iPhone from her purse and dialed the most recent call.

“So?” Val asked on the other end, biting her newly manicured nails. Nora smiled and bit her lip.

“It’s mine,” She pulled the phone away when the scream reached her ears.

“Oh my God, congrats! We need to celebrate, tonight. It’s mandatory.” Nora could feel herself nodding.

“Text me when you’re done work, we can start with pizza and champagne.” Nora said looking at the blank canvas before her.

“Obviously, I’ll pick it up on my way over.”

----------

“To my best friend, slash maid of honor, slash cousin, congrats!” Nora grinned and downed the brown liquor in the white clear shot glass.

Swallowing the substance a shiver ran through her bones. “That was awful,” she giggled as she handed the bartender her glass. Valerie grinned and wrapped an arm around her shoulders.

“We’re both too drunk to drive home, we need a ride,” she said into her cousin’s ear. “Too bad Brian left this morning for a case in Virginia.” She pouted her full glossed lips and signaled the bartender to make another round.

“I know!” Nora reached into her purse and pulled out the business card. Holding it up she smiled. “We’ll call Isaac. He’d love to help us.”

“Why do you have his number? I thought you hated him.” Val smiled and poked her cousin’s side. “You totally love him.”

“Eww no.” Nora stuck out her tongue, she carefully dialed his number and held the device close to her ear listening to it ring. “Please don’t make me vomit, he gave it to me last night asking why I hated him.”

“Uh hi? I’m assuming I’m speaking to Nora.”

She began laughing and Valerie swiped the phone. “Hey buddy, can you come get our asses? We’re way too trashed. I’ll owe you one.” Nora watched her nod and Valerie gave her a thumb up.

------------

Nora was dancing to the latest Top 100 song when Isaac walked into the bar; Val walked up to him and smiled.

“I think I over did it with her, she won’t get off the dance floor.” He laughed and shook his head.

The small girl was swaying her body, her arms were raised above her head, and her eyes were closed. Her tank top strap had popped off the fabric, and was hanging on for dear life. Her classic cowboy boots were dirty from the bar floor. Her hair was limp from a long day. But she was smiling and singing along to the words.

Isaac watched her for a moment before walking towards her.

“Hey Nora, ready to go?” He asked close to her ear. She opened her eyes and smiled.

“No, this is a blast!” She grinned and spun in a circle, he laughed and looked over his shoulder.

Val was watching, a smile, he knew she was scheming. She winked and ordered another drink as she sat on the red sticky barstool.

The music changed songs to a quicker tempo, and Nora squealed in delight.

Slowly, he put his hands on Nora’s hips and began to sway with her body. She looked up at him and smiled, “You know tomorrow when I’m sober I’ll probably hate you again. But I bet you’re a great dance partner.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I promise the chapters will start to get longer :)

Also thank you to Aubs, and bettystaal17 for the comments, they made my day!
And thank you to Aubs and ladyscheri for the recommendations, you guys are amazing.

I will try and post again in the next couple of days, please let me know what you think!