Status: On hold

Bells Ringing in the Summer Haze

Eight.

“And lastly, Val, you’re the best cousin a girl could ever ask for. You’re more than just family, you’re my best friend.” Val smiled and stood up scooping Nora into a hug.

“Aw, don’t make me cry,” Nora smiled and adjusted Val’s crown. “I need a drink,” she said.

The bridesmaids all met at Nora’s house to have before drinks. They surprised Val a t the door with a shiny tiara, a pink sash that read “I’m a bride” and a glass of champagne.

She in return showed up with bags of glowstick jewelry, sashes that read “I’m with the bride” and alcohol.

Nora smiled and crowned her as she sat drinking her champagne.

“I also have a new dress for you from Sunflower,” Val looked down at her dark denim jeans and cute paisley tank.

“What’s wrong with this?”

“Nothing, you know I love that shirt. But we all decided to wear dresses. And this one you’ll love, trust me.”

The deep purple dress was a one shoulder dress that reached Val’s mid-thigh. The back was a deep V, and they topped off the shoes with black heels that tied with a ribbon around the back.

“You were right, I didn’t even see this come in.”

“I know Lily picked it out. Alright, let’s get another drink and head out.”

Val nodded, “I agree,” she poured shots for all the girls and they all clinked the glasses together before throwing them back.

“Now time for another surprise!” Rachel yelled. Nora laughed and they took Val out of the kitchen and lead her out to the limo waiting at the curb.

------

The bar was crowded and the music shook the walls. Colored lights spun around the dance floor, which was already filled. There were other bridal parties at the bar, and they eagerly opened their arms to Nora and Val.

“We’ll be back, we promise!” Nora said as she pulled Val into the crowd.

“Guys, it’s way too packed. Let’s go to Jo’s.” Val whined. Nora smiled and grabbed her hand. She continued to pull her through the waiting bar crowd, and they headed past the dance floor.

All the small tables and booths were taken, and Val kept trying to reason going to Jo’s.

“No, the surprise is this way,” she led them through the bar and towards the back.

“Surprise!” all the girls yelled when they opened a door to a private room and the boys were all inside.

Val grinned and rushed to Brian. He laughed and wrapped his arms around her. He took in her outfit and pulled her closer.

“You guys didn’t tell me Val would be here,” Brian said to Isaac. Nora caught his eyes and waved. He nodded before turning and chugging his beer.

Brian was running his hand over Val’s soft fabric and grinning. She was showing off her shoes and tiara when Nora sidled up to them.

“You guys surprised?” Brian nodded and handed them each a drink.

“Yeah, you and Isaac really pulled this off.”

Nora sighed as she watched Isaac talking to a few girls the guys invited. She left the room to head to the bar for a drink. Squeezing between two guys, she pushed herself up to the bar. Flagging down the bartender she ordered a Malibu Bay Breeze, and a tall one.

“Can you actually make that two?”

“Hey Nor,” she turned and faced Alex. He was tall like Brian and had short blonde hair. He was wearing dark jeans, a light colored Henley tee shirt, and had a black watch. He ordered a beer and threw down a twenty. “For hers too.”

“Thanks Al, how have you been?” She stepped closer to him and placed her hand on his upper arm.

He grinned and after she received her drinks, he threw an arm around her shoulders.

“It’s good; I heard you’re opening a store. Congrats, that’s awesome.”

“Thank you, I’m very excited. It’s all coming together very quickly.”

“When do you plan on opening?”

“Later this month, I need to have it opened before the wedding. I started hiring people this week, and they come in to start setting up next week.”

He smiled down at her. “You’ve always wanted to open your store and now you are. That’s great.”

“Thank you,” they stood near the bar as she sipped on her drink. She watched the dance floor and all the bodies swaying. She looked up to see Isaac’s eyes on her, heading towards them.

“Do you want to dance?” Alex asked her. She looked up at him and grinned.

“I’d love to.”

------

After an hour of dancing, Alex and Nora went to the back room to sit and have another drink.

“There you are!” Val yelled, teetering on her tall black heels. “I’ve been looking for you. I want to dance.” She slurred the last sentence and Nora giggled.

“Let me get a drink,” she started when Val yelled.

“I want another drink!” Nora grabbed Val’s arm before she fell and sighed when Brian came over.

“Hey, let me get her home.” He said smiling.

“Are you sure? I can take her so you can stay.” He looked over his shoulder and nodded.

“You’re having fun, so it’s all good.” He winked and whispered into Val’s ear.

“No baby let me stay with Nora. I don’t want to go home yet,” Nora laughed when Val wrapped an arm around her.

“Val, Brian has a present for you at home.”

“Oh, let’s go then! I love presents!” Brian chuckled and followed Val out at she stumbled out of the room.

He laughed and hugged Nora before following his soon to be bride out the door.

-------

The lights inside the bar came on, signaling for everyone to head out. Nora pouted at Claire and Alex.

“But this is too fun,” she mumbled. Claire laughed and patted Alex’s shoulder.

“Can you make sure she gets home okay? I think she’s had a few.”

“Actually, I’m taking her.” Nora turned and frowned at Isaac. “I promised Val hours ago.”

“It’s fine dude, I can take her.” Alex said stepping closer to Nora and placing a hand on the small of her back. She nodded and Isaac glared.

“You don’t want to deal with Val tomorrow, trust me.” Without waiting for an answer, he grabbed Nora’s arm and drug her towards the front door.

“You don’t need to be so rude!” She yelled slapping his arm. “Ouch,” she mumbled pouting. “I’m not a child, I can leave with whoever I want.”

“Nora, shush.”

She looked at him and glared. Her body temperature was rising and she used all her force to stop.

Surprised, he looked at her.

“What?” He asked with an amused experession. He raised an eyebrow waiting for her response.

“I don’t want to leave with you.”

“Shut up Nora.” He continued to pull her and they finally reached his black car. “Get inside the car please.”

She sighed and opened the door.

“Only because you said please.” She slowly lowered herself into the car, and pulled on the dress hem as it slid up on the leather seat.

The ride over was quiet except the soft guitar strums. The outside night life seemed silent and dead inside the vehicle. The blue interior lights light up the floorboards, making the car dark enough for Nora to sleep if she closed her eyes.

Nora leaned her head against the black leather headrest, and turned to face Isaac. His hands were gripping the steering wheel. His eyebrows pushed together in concentration. As someone in front of him cut him off, he swore under his breathe.

“What’s your problem lately?” She asked quietly.

“Nora, please just be quiet.” He said and sighed. He changed the song on the radio to an instrumental orchestra.

“No, answer me.” Nora said firmly.

He glanced at her and let out a breath.

“You, okay? You’re my problem.” He said quietly. He didn’t seem mad at her he just seemed tired.

She sat and starred at him. “What the hell did I do?”

“You really don’t know?” He looked at her and she shook her head. “Then you’re not as bright as I gave you credit for.”

“Excuse me? I am very smart.” She said as she began to raise her voice. “I’ll have you know, I was at the top of my class when I graduated.”

Her face began to heat up, her hands began to sweat, and her heartbeat sped up. She gripped her hands into her palms, her nails cutting into the skin.

“I know you’re smart, that’s not what I meant, but when it comes to a guy liking you, you’re as clueless as they come.”

“What did you just say?” She asked slowly.

“You heard me Hughes, I like you.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I wanted to send out another chapter because I've been on a writing rampage lately and I am so excited for you guys to keep reading!

:) Let me know what you guys think!