Status: more comments = more chapters!

Zero to Sixty

the truth is so cold.

"Goddamn, Lou. How much longer is this going to take? It feels like my stomach is going to eat itself."

"Well, that's just too fucking bad, Zee. We're in the middle of no where, cops all around us, and I would really like to not get a ticket for speeding. You saw all those other cars back there. You can wait another thirty minutes until we get to the next town."

Zacky childishly whines and wiggles around in his seat. They've already been through the whole City of Evil album, along with half of the Pantera album that was coming through the speakers now.

"Besides, you got enough fat stored to get you through three Alaskan winters," Lou jokes, slapping her hand against the pudge that pokes out from his belly as he moves in his seat. Zacky curses loudly, pushing her hand away and rubbing at the now stinging spot.

"Fuck! That fucking hurt, Lou!" he growls at her, pulling down his shirt and glaring at her. She laughs, shaking her head.

"You're such a baby, Zee. God, now I see how Gena gets away with so much stuff."

"What are you talking about, Lou?" Zacky asks with a frown, sitting up in the seat and looking to his best friend. She pulls a cigarette back to her lips, breathing in the tobacco. She doesn't answer. His frown hardens. "Lou, what do you mean? Gena doesn't get away with anything."

"At least that's what you think," Lou retorts, her sunglasses covering the angered look in her brown eyes.

"The fuck? Lou, what the hell is going on with you?"

"You forgot my birthday."

Zacky rolls his eyes. "No, I didn't. It's Saturday, May eighteenth, like every year."

"You forgot my birthday last year," she says quietly, and Zacky almost doesn't hear her. He frowns looking at his best friend.

"No I did not, Lou. We hung out, remember? Watched baseball reruns like we used to when we were teenagers."

"Actually, we didn't Zacky," she snaps at him, finally turning to look at him. Her cigarette is tossed out the car window and onto the burning asphalt. "You went and bought Gena a ten-thousand dollar engagement ring and cancelled my birthday plans just so you could propose. That is what you did May eighteenth, last year. We didn't watch baseball reruns or go to the beach or do any of the shit like we used to. You forgot my birthday for some ugly hair dresser that's been cheating on you for two years."

It's not until the tense silence chokes at her that Lou realizes just what she's said.

"Fuck," she yells, slamming her hands on the steering wheel. The car beside her looks over, seeing the angered look on her face. They sped up to get out of her way. "I shouldn't have said that. Double fuck. I'm so sorry, Zee. Just forget I said anything - god, how can I be so stupid? This just totally ruined the whole trip. You weren't supposed to find out about any of that - fucking hell. Zee, stop looking at me like that."

She looks from the road to her best friend. He's seething, and his happy bright green eyes are now a piercing blue that she's only seen a handful of times in her life. His hands are clenched into fists, hanging onto the extra fabric of his jeans.

"She's been cheating on me?" he growls. Lou winces at the harsh sound. Zack rarely ever gets angry, but when he does, Lou knows to keep back. He's an atomic bomb ready for departure. The vein in his neck bulges against his tattooed skin.

"Forget I said anything, Zack," she says again, grabbing at her carton of cigarettes and placing it between her lips. Driving with her knees, to keep within the yellow lines, Lou lowers her head and covers the flame of her lighter with her hands. Zack stares at her hard, trying to figure out just what to do about what he's learned. He doesn't feel hungry anymore - he feels sick to his stomach.

"How did you know she's been cheating?" he asks quietly. Taking a drag of the cigarette and pulls it away from her lips, she sighs by blowing the smoke out through her nose.

"I went to your house after Dylan and I broke up. I was hoping we could hang out or some shit. Your car wasn't there, but hers was, so I thought I would just wait in the game room." There's a pause. Zacky looks over at her. She's busy smoking her Marlboro, trying to ease off the tension in her nerves. "I had to go through the back since the front was locked. I saw her and some guy fucking on the kitchen counter, from outside..."

Zacky's heart clenches and suddenly he can't breathe. He was hoping that maybe Lou had been mistaken and that it was him that she had seen Gena with, but Lou adds on a slow, "And I knew it wasn't you because he didn't have any tattoos."

Zacky grabs at the dashboard, and lets his head rest between his legs. He's really going to be sick. "How do you know that it has still been going on?"

"It's a different guy each time..." she mumbles around her cigarette. "I'm usually coming over to see you and I see in through the window, or as soon as I walk in I can hear her screaming their name as they... well, ya know."

"Fuck, Lou, pull the car over," Zack groans out, taking deep breaths to keep down the vomit that is about to come up. Lou looks over at him worriedly, but does as he says and pulls over onto the sandy shoulder of the long desert highway. As soon as the car is stopped and parked, Zacky throws open the door and pulls himself a few feet away from the car before dry heaving into the sand. Lou waits for one of the Gumball cars to pass before she throws her door open and runs over to him.

"Shit, Zee! Zacky, are you okay? Zacky?" She leans behind him, slipping her hand under his shirt to rub at the middle of his back. How many times has she done this in her life while taking care of him while he drinks his liver to death? She feels the slight raised skin of his back where she knows his Vengeance 7 tattoo is. They stand there on the side of the desert highway for another five minutes before Zacky wipes his mouth with the shirt and his sleeve and stands back up.

The heat makes his dehydration worse. Lou quickly gets him back into the seat of her car and grabs a fresh bottle of water from the small opening where backseats should be.

"Here, Zee, drink this. You'll feel a lot better," she mumbles, uncapping the bottle and pressing it into his hands. Zacky gulps down the whole bottle, and smacks his lips when he's done. "You want another?" she asks, kneeling in front of him as she looks up worriedly. Her hat and sunglasses are laying in her seat. Zack nods and another is put immediately in his hands. He drinks it too, but slowly. They both hear another Gumball car come roaring up behind them, before it pulls off onto the shoulder too.

A group of feminine British accents go carrying across the expanse of sand and hot sun.

"Look, girls! It's Zacky V!" One of them yells and all are soon scrambling out of the car. Lou groans and covers her face with her hand.

"Not the Fuel Girls. Anybody but the Fuel Girls," she mumbles before looking up as they step up behind her and bend over to look at Zack.

"Oh you poor baby! You look like death warmed over. What's wrong?"

"He's sick," Lou tells them, her teeth grinding together. "Dehydration does that to you," she continues, and the girls simply wave off the pissed tone Lou gives them.

"Poor, poor Zacky. C'mon girls, we've got to make him better!" Two of them reach to grab at his tattooed arms, but Lou stands with a clenched fist held up slightly.

"You touch my boyfriend, and I'll knock the silicon out of your tits faster than you can say 'bloody hell'," she growls, lifting her fist up a little higher. The girls scamper back a little before running back to the car they piled themselves into. Once Lou is certain that they've driven off, she kneels back down in front of Zack. "You feeling better?"

"You called me your boyfriend," he mumbles, his tired eyes falling to his knees. She winces and brushes the sand off her legs.

"It sounds more intimidating than 'friend'." She shrugs nonchalantly, but Zacky knows there is more. There is always more when it comes to Lou.

Image


"Well, we're in Vegas. The last ones, but we've made it," Lou says, speaking into the camera. Zacky is at the trunk of her car grabbing their bags. "Now it's time for me to finish my beer, take a shower, and go visit a dear friend's drum kit. To the Rev!" Lou says, toasting her bottle of Hieniken beer in the air before taking a large gulp. The camera man gives a thumbs up and turns the camera off record.

"Thanks guys," he says before carrying the camera off. Lou waves and takes another swallow of her beer. She turns to Zacky. He looks exhausted, and the dimming sunlight only makes it more obvious.

"C'mon, Zee, let's get you in the room," she says softly, taking her bag and pulling it over her shoulders before taking his hand and pulling him inside the Hard Rock Hotel. At the desk she simply told the woman she was with the Gumball Rally, and then her name. Barely within five minutes, Lou was swiping the room key through the slot and the door unlocked with a click. They put their bags aside and, slowly, Zacky sat on the edge of the bed. He felt like complete and utter shit.

"You feel okay, Zee?" she asks, her hand sliding under his shirt again to rub away the tension in his back.

"No," he answers in a monotone voice. He dry heaved a total of three times during the ride to Vegas, before finally getting food into him. His stomached churned at the simple thought of Gena, in his house, with his things, more than likely cheating on him right now.

"I'm sorry," Lou whispered and took her hand away. Zacky felt the tension come back, and silently wished Lou would continue what she had been doing. "I was just so... jealous of all the time you give her. I can understand all the studio work and tours with the guys, that's your job. And Gena's your fiance, so I can understand that too but..." Her hand grips his. Their matching knuckle tattoos catch his eye. "I've been here since the very beginning, and when you can't even make time for a simple night of beer and baseball, I feel like I'm losing the position of your best friend."

Zacky said nothing. What could he say?

"Look at me," she said, but he didn't. "Zack, look at me," she said firmer, and he weakly lifted his head. "I can call one of the guys to come pick you up, if you want. You don't have to continue the Rally with me."

"I want to," he finally spoke. His hand gripped hers. "I've been the shitty best friend because I let the stupid things get in the way. This week is gonna be just us, okay? No band, no Gena, no Huntington Beach. Just us, beer, and that ugly-ass car of yours."

Lou went into a fit of laughter - one that they both needed.

"There's my old, Zee," she says, nudging his chin with her fist before standing up and stretching. He keeps his eyes on the wall. "I'mma go take a quick shower, then you can have it." Zacky nods, and watches as she disappears into the conjoining bathroom. Barely ten minutes later, she walks out with a towel wrapped around her body and a small one holding her hair up. His eyes can't help but slide down the many tattoos she has going down her arms and back. He sees the familiar jersey-style lettering of Lightning going across the back of her shoulders, in a dark blue. She had gained the idea from when he and Jimmy had gotten their own done. And then there's one piece of art that covers her complete left leg - it was her 'Wonderland'. Lou had designed it herself, along with help of others, and after almost ten sit-ins, it had been completed - outline and color - just that past March.

Lou bends over, reaching into her book bag for whatever she was to wear, and Zacky stares at the skin that is flashed at him.

Some of it is inked, and the other bits that aren't, are a natural tan from her days spent at the beach or simply in the sun working on cars. It's the round curve and smooth looking skin of her ass that nearly sends Zacky flying at her and ripping off the towel. He can't breathe, and there's a tight pressure tightening in his pants. He can't blame Gena for anymore of this - it's purely Lou. The woman could make most men cry from just how beautiful she was, and from her kicking their ass. Eloise Weathers wasn't one to be messed with.

"Good lord," Zacky whispered under his breath before burying his face in his hands as he took a deep breath. From built of sexual frustration, added with the feelings he's always had for his best friend, multiplied by however many bottles of Jack Daniels has going to be drinking - Zack is fucked, no matter what.

"Shower's free!" Lou sings, before pulling on her underwear. She drops the towel, her back turned to Zacky, and he has completely forgotten how to breath. She slips on the black and white striped bra, but it's the red lace panties hugging her tight ass that makes him see fucking stars. Lou then goes to pull a dress over her head, and all the inked and delicious skin is hidden. Zack wants to see it again. Lou turns, ruffling the towel through her hair before meeting Zack's heated gaze.

"Um, Zee?" she asks, raising an eyebrow to her hair line. He shakes himself from his thoughts and looks at her. "Shower's free." Lou points to the open door of the bathroom. Zacky jumps up and runs in, slamming the door behind him. She stares at the door in surprise for a moment before shrugging her shoulders and sits on the bed. While one hand dries the water from her hair with the towel, the other flips on the flat screen television in the room and she surfs through the channels.

Zacky jumps into the cold shower, and shivers instantly at the freezing water, but it does nothing to ease away the pulsing blood and aching erection.

"Good lord, really, Zack? You're gonna get turned on by your best friend? Fucking shit head," Zack grumbles to himself, ducking his head under the cold water, hoping to clear his thoughts. Nothing helps, and as a last ditch effort, Zacky finds refuge in his left hand.

Lou just finished with putting on her make up and jewelry when the bathroom door opens and Zack walks out with a towel wrapped around his hips. Lou's eyes fall from the television screen to his bare chest. They don't say anything. Lou turns back and fixes her earrings while she lets Zack get dressed.

"You ready?" he asks a few minutes later, pulling a hat on his head to cover his still-damp hair.

"Yeah," she mumbles, grabbing the clutch she brought along and putting all the necessities in it. Lou grumbles angrily to herself about tossing her phone out of the car back in Long Beach.

They take the elevator in silence. There's a group of girls beside them, wearing sashes and one has a crown. Bachelorette party. The elevator music is droned out by their high pitch laughs and words. Once to the bottom level, just outside the casino, Lou grabs Zacky's hand and pulls him past the doors of the casino and into a side lobby. Zacky doesn't ask where they're going, but he does give a look in Lou's way.

They turn another corner and Zacky sees the familiar Rock memorabilia behind glass cases. He takes a deep breath when Lou pulls him down a short hall. In the middle, protected by thick glass and the memory of him, sits Jimmy's drums. They stand in silence, looking over the drum kit that Zacky has lost count of how many times he played in front of it with his other best friends. Lou's hand tightens in Zacky's, and he returns the squeeze.

"Hey, Slim Jim," Lou says softly, pressing her hand flat against the glass that separates them from the drum set. She remembers the few times she would have a go at them when the guys were working in the studio, but she could not hold a beat to save her life. And the drum kit was pretty big to fill. Zacky looks away from the drum kit and down at his best friend. Her eyes are glued to the set. "Miss you." Zack hears her whisper.

"Guys, look!" says a loud whisper from behind them. Zacky turns his head to look, but Lou keeps her attention on the drum kit. Her hand presses just a little closer to the glass, hoping it will break from such a weak attempt to be closer to one of the last remaining things of Jimmy.

Zacky watches the small group of fans as they flash their cameras of the two of them. Zacky smiles sadly and looks back at Lou. Her hand has dropped.

"He misses us too," she tells Zacky, slowly looking up at him. His hand releases hers and he wraps his arm around her shoulders to pull her into a hug. She had been there, at his house, the night before the twenty-eighth. She had been there to say a good night and a good bye. She had been there when he called and told Zacky about his jacket. She had been there when Jimmy had been found.

She had been there through everything. And all Zacky had done lately was push her farther and farther away. She was almost too far away by the time he realized it.

"C'mon, Lou," he says softly into her ear before they turn and begin to walk toward the small group of fans. Zacky smiles at them, and waves.

"Hey guys, how's it going?"

"Guys, this is so awesome! We're meeting Zacky Vengeance!" the loud whispers says, causing his friends to roll their eyes and groan in embarrassment.

Zacky chuckles, and begins to rub his had up and down Lou's upper arm. "Yeah, the one and only Zacky V. You come to see the Rev's Testament?" Zacky comments, nodding his head in the direction of the drums. They all nod. One of them holds up a camera.

"Mind if we get a picture?"

Zacky smiles and shakes his head. The teenager holds the camera out for Lou. "Could you take it, Mrs. Vengeance?"

Lou and Zacky laugh, but Lou takes the camera from the teen.

"Zack and I are best friends, nothing more. I'm doing the Gumball Rally and he got dragged along."

"Oh, my bad, sorry," the teen said sheepishly, walking to stand with his group of friends.

"Don't worry about it kid. Alright, you guys ready?"

Zacky throws up the famous 'rock on' hand and smiles. The teens do the same, but their smiles are bigger. Lou presses the small button on the camera and it flashes.

Zacky and Lou part ways with the teen fans and head toward the casino. The Gumball party is well underway. Shots of Patron are thrust into their hands, and they happily take it together.

They are barely near all the alcohol for an hour and both are shitfaced drunk.

"Fuck, Zee, I can't walk," Lou says as she giggles and stumbles toward the elevator. Her ankles are like rubber. Zacky laughs drunkenly as he grabs her waist and steadies her the best of his ability, while waiting for the elevator doors to open. When it does, Lou stumbles in and falls into the corner. Zack laughs loudly, holding his ribs as he watches Lou giggle and slump against the wall. The jerk of the elevator makes him stumble also, and he falls beside her. They look at each other before laughing together.

"Just like the old time," Zacky comments, wrapping an arm around Lou's shoulders.

"I miss the old times," Lou says, laying her head on Zacky's shoulder. He looks down at her; the alcohol clouds his rational thinking.

"You're the best, Lou," he tells her, and rests his cheek on her hair.

"Love you, Zee," she mumbles, and he returns the friendly affection.

After about five minutes of them sitting in the elevator, the doors open and Zacky looks up. There's another couple stumbling in. Neither Zacky nor Lou had pushed button for their floor. He reaches up and presses the seven. The elevator moves, and it is then that the other couple pushes their floor number - ten.

The elevator stops and opens on the seventh floor. Slwoly, Zacky and Lou help each other up before stumbling down the hall to their room. As Lou goes looking through her purse for the room key, Zacky wraps his arms around her waist and rocks them back and forth, drunkenly. Lou laughs, and tries to cover up the loud sound with her hand.

"Zee, stop! I'm trying to open the fucking door!"

"Dance with me, Lulu! Don't you hear the music?" Zacky says, continuing to rock them side to side as he hums the harmony of Afterlife. Lou laughs again and finally gets the door open. Pulling Zacky with her, Lou stumbles into the room and escapes Zack's arms so she can take off her heeled boots and jewelry. When she's just put her earrings down, Zacky wraps his arms back around her and holds on tight. He buries his face against the side of her neck.

"Zacky stop," she says, pushing at his arms, but they just tighten. Her breath catches as she feels his lips pressed to the beating pulse on her neck. "Zee, what are you-"

He hushes her. One of his hands slides down from her waist to her bare thigh. She shivers at the goose bumps. He presses his lips to her neck again and Lou snaps out of the trance he has put her in.

"Zacky, no! You've got Gena. I know what I said earlier, but you have to understand that you can still work things out and-"

Her words are interrupted by his plump lips on hers. Lou's body refuses to fight any longer against what it wants - they fall to the bed, their hands pulling at each other's clothes.

Afterall, what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas.
♠ ♠ ♠
Lou's outfit