Rebel Yell

If Only's

*Ashley’s POV*

I was sitting in the cold waiting room the little girl curled up fast asleep in my lap using my leather jacket as a blanket. I learnt her name is Aurélie from the friendly neighbour next door. It’s a pretty name, just as pretty as her I noted to myself. I gently stroke her hair as she slept not so much to help her but more me. My mind is racing with thoughts about Scar. What happened? Will she pull through? Why does she starve and carve words into herself I know it’s to do with her family…Who’s Aurélie dad? Did he do this? What will happen to Aurélie if she doesn’t? I can’t leave her not now. I sigh heavily resting my head back against the wall closing my tear swollen eyes. I could feel my head pounding as these thoughts swirl around and around tormenting me. Please pull through Scar, we need you baby.

Just then Aurélie shot up screaming her little heart out. I pull her towards me cradling her. “Shh its okay, I’m here.” I reassure her gently what she said next shocked me “Are you going to hurt us?” she asks trembling wide eyed. “I’d never hurt you or mummy I love you both far too much.” I speak softly before kissing her little forehead. “Pro...mise?” she stutters full of nerves. “I promise.” I confirm as she cuddles up in my arms and starts babbling about batman. Oh no another Andy I smile at her silliness.

A few hours later a young male doctor with dark hair came into the room I was waiting in closing the door carefully behind him. Fuck its bad news. “You’re Ashley Purdy correct?” he asks confirming my information. “Yes, I’m her boyfriend…Is she okay?” I ask dreading to hear the bad news. I could feel my heart racing I just wanted to know if she was okay, alive. “She’s stable; she seems have broken a few ribs in the assault causing her a great deal of pain. At the moment what’s concerning us is her lack of memory which is pretty common with concussion but we just need to keep an eye on her.” He announces relief flooding through me she’s alive. “What if she doesn’t get her memory back?” I ask as a new found worry comes pouring in. Will she even know who I am? Who Aurélie is? Will she ever remember what happened to her? “Then we’ll have to run further tests. You can see her now if you like I’m sure little one would like to see her mum.” He states before walking out the door I stand up carrying Aurélie in my arms and follow him along a corridor to a door. “She’s in there. She’s very sleepy but I’m sure she’ll find being around people she knows reassuring.” He says pointing to the door before walking off leaving me struggling opening a door with a sleeping Aurélie in my arms. “Fuck sake,” I groan under my breath looking down at her “Please don’t repeat that.” I beg her though she’s still asleep. The door suddenly clicks open I push against it with my back then walk in.

She looks terrible, scratch that dreadful. It made me feel physically sick someone could do that to something so damn precious. I lay Aurélie down in the chair at the side of the bed and wrap my hands around one of Scar’s little hands. She was bruised all over, battered. Her beautiful little face was scattered in large bruises as I’m sure her body was. Her eyes flickers open she just lays there with a shocked look on her face. “Ashley Purdy, you’re Ashley fucking Purdy.” She states croakily making me chuckle. “Yes, I am and you’re Scarlett though you prefer Scar.” I smile at her she nods a little in response though quickly groans from the pain. “What are you doing here?” she mumbles quietly. I sigh heavily she doesn’t remember what happened. “I’m your boyfriend…I gave you that promise ring.” I remind her though I think I more freaked her out than helped. “Very funny.” She replies with a sarcastic tone in her voice. “I’m serious Scar.” I slip of her promise ring and start reading the engraving. “You’ve already left a Scar on me darlin’ the moment you walked into my life you’re my beautiful Scar. Forever darlin’” I read aloud before slipping it back on her little finger. She just stare blankly at me not emotion what so ever. “I don’t remember.” She speaks softly with guilt and sadness filling her voice. “I know Scar, I know.” I sigh heavily. Will she ever remember me? Will she even want me? The thought me not being with her broke my heart, not being able to hold her, to kiss her, to make her smile. If only I never left her this morning this would have never happened.
“Mummy!” Aurélie squeals in delight running towards the bed trying to climb up I hoist her up on to the bed. “Be gentle, mummy’s hurting.” I told her which she nodded to smiling before curling up next to Scar. “I miss you.” She babbles. “I miss you too princess.” Scar smiles. Aurélie starts babbling on about me “He’s a nice boy mummy, not like dada or gramp. Why can’t he be my dada?”

You don’t know how much I wish I could be Aurélie, you really don’t. If only.