Status: We need more baseball stories on this sight, so here ya go!~

Weight of the World

Just Like You

Autumn prepared for dinner at her mother’s house. She knew Kennedy and Steven were going to be there which made her not want to be there even more. She knew that somehow, someway her mother would make her the bad person in this. That was her mom’s specialty, making her feel like crap.

She pulled into the driveway, looking at the house in disgust. She didn’t want to step foot in it. If her dad was still with her mom, things would have been so much different.

Entering the house and it had already started. “Jesus, Autumn, couldn’t you just get a quieter car. That thing is gonna wake up the whole neighborhood.” Her mother complained.

“It’s seven at night.” She reminded her.

“Don’t use that tone with me, Autumn.” She shut her mouth, mumbling a few curse words as she made her way to the kitchen, shocked to see her dad there.

Most of dinner, she stayed quiet, scared she might upset her mother in some way. Autumn kept eyeing Steven and Kennedy, seeing the happiness in their eyes. It killed her. She never wanted Steven looking at anybody that way unless it was herself.

“I can’t wait for you two to get married and give me grand babies. Autumn hasn’t done much to give me grand babies.”

Autumn rolled her eyes, setting down her fork. “I’m twenty-one, mom. You really think I want to throw my life away for marriage and rotten kids?” She spoke out, suddenly regretting the words she had just said. Her mother looked at her appalled. “Sorry.” She apologized, going back to eating her food. Steven looked over at her, wondering if that’s how she actually felt.

“I had you when I was twenty, Autumn. I was married at eighteen. Getting married and having kids isn’t throwing your life away.” Her mother told her.

“Nowadays, it is.” She said, not making any eye contact with anyone.

“Okay, Autumn, is working at your fathers garage and being a bartender not throwing your life away, because it sure seems like it to me. You’re not doing anything for yourself. I mean, your younger sister is getting married before you.”

“Mary, please.” Her dad pleaded with her mom.

“No, Harold, she needs to hear this. You graduated early, had a full scholarship to a great law school and instead you stay behind and work on cars all day.” Autumn stayed quiet, letting her mom go on and rant. “Your sister is already in a fantastic law school and now she’s engaged to be married. What have you done with your life besides fix up that old piece of crap you call a car, Autumn?”

“At least I‘m fuckin’ happy.” She mumbled, standing from the table.

“Do not use that language with me Autumn Nicolle Knight.” Rolling her eyes, she grabbed her jacket and left the house.

Opening the door of her car, Kennedy stopped her. “Autumn, I’m sorry. I can’t believe mom said those things, but it’s mom, she’s always been that way.”

Autumn laughed loudly. “You know, for one day, I wish you weren’t the golden child. You have no idea what it feels like to be the fuck up. To know what it feels like when your mom treats you like shit.” She said, looking her directly in the eyes. She opened her car door and closed it, starting up the engine and peeling out down the street. She knew her mom would hate that.

Autumn made her way through Anaheim, meeting up at her band mates house. She figured it wouldn’t hurt to be early for band practice.

“Hey, Autumn!” Doug, the guitarist, said, excited to see her. When she didn’t reply, he knew something was wrong.

“What’s up?” Josh asked cautiously, he was the singer and second guitarist.

“I’m sick of my mom.” She replied, taking off her jacket and throwing it over to a chair. She sat at her drum set and smiled, hitting the bass drums a few times. They nodded at her answer, understanding how she didn’t like her mom.

“Alright, well let’s get to practicing.” Their bassist, Anthony said.

A couple hours of practicing turned into four hours pretty quickly. Autumn was happy with that because she got to get her mind off of everything and just focus on her music.

Heading home, she prayed Steven wasn’t there, nor Kennedy. Maybe they might have stayed at her apartment for the night, at least she hoped they did.

Entering the apartment, she threw her keys on the counter, seeing Steven come out of his room. Sighing, she walked into the kitchen and grabbed herself a water. “I’m sorry about tonight, Autumn.” Steven said, sitting at the counter.

“Why? You weren’t the one bitching about my life.” She said, walking back to her room but Steven had grabbed her arm before she could reach it.

“Were you serious when you said getting married was throwing your life away?” He asked her, looking at her in the eyes. Autumn starred back for a few seconds before looking down at the floor and sighing.

“Yeah, I was serious. You may not have truly made that promise, but I did. Marriage is last thing I ever want to do.” She told him and he nodded.

“Oh.” He replied and she turned and walked into her room.

She was a little harsh with him, but he needed to know that was how she felt, whether he liked it or not.