Musical Therapy

one

The noise was deafening. Pounding music and the screams of eager fans ricocheted off of every surface. Bodies were packed together so tightly that movement was impossible, and I was standing right in the middle of it all. My arms were pinned in front of my chest, hands dangling limply. I must’ve looked like an awkward Tyrannosaurus Rex, albeit a small one.
The heat was stifling. Sweat beaded on my forehead only to make a slow descent down my face, stinging my eyes with salt. I looked to my left to see my partner in crime, Kristin, cramped into a position even more uncomfortable looking than my own – if that’s even possible. We both grinned. Epic couldn’t even begin to describe it.
There’s nothing quite like standing in the midst of a crowd during a concert with music pumping through every nerve of your body. Adrenaline soars through your veins, hurling you into motion with the rest of the mob. It’s one of the best highs you can get.
An elbow collided with the side of my face, but I barely acknowledged the pain – I was beyond used to it at that point.
“I’m so sorry!” a small blonde girl exclaimed.
I just smiled.
The crowd surged forward, everyone wanting to claim a spot in the front. I lost sight of the nice girl. I angled my body to the side, deciding to take advantage of the wave and squeeze through the small gaps in the crowd. Making it to the front for All Time Low’s set was my ultimate goal, and I would make it happen. Apparently it was time for the front to start fighting back. The crowd starting surging backwards and forwards as opposing ends fought for dominance. Those of us in the middle were done for. It was like a fame of tug-a-war and we were the rope. In case you haven’t figured it out yet, the rope never wins.
There was one moment, and I can’t be totally sure, but I think my feet were actually lifted off of the ground. I had the sudden sensation of floating and then it was way more difficult to keep form falling over. As much as I love being in the crowd, being trampled by one did not sound like much fun.
Somehow – I honestly couldn’t tell you exactly how – I ended up in the third row by the time the third band came on. Third row for the third band, funny coincidence, right? I looked around, trying to relocate Kristin, but she was gone. It was official: I was by myself in a gigantic crowd, but I didn’t feel alone.
As Boethius (a great philosopher) once put it “the soul of the universe was joined together according to musical concord”. You can be standing alone in a room full of strangers, in a strange city and still feel connected to every single one of them. The melodies being produced have the ability to carry an entire room of people to the same places. The music allows you to relate to these people, whom you have never met before, and feel as if you belong in that moment. And that’s what I was doing. I was relating to these complete strangers that surrounded me, making friends in the most unexpected place.
My arms were pinned above my head. The front of the crowd was even more tightly packed than the middle. I could feel my muscles beginning to ache; they weren’t conditioned for this. A boy standing in front of me looked back, his features morphing into a look of sympathy.
“If it makes you feel better, I’m not entirely sure where my hands are at the moment. They seem to have disappeared,” he said, raising his voice to be heard over guitar rifts and obnoxious screams.
“I would gladly trade,” I said.
Gradually, I lowered my arms until one was resting on his shoulder, the other on top of my head. He flashed me a half-smile, and I knew it was okay. Oh, sweet relief, this kid was my savior! By this point the music had stopped and all of the band techs were on stage setting up for All Time Low’s performance. My goal was achieved, sort of. Third row, I decided, was close enough.
I felt a tap on my shoulder and craned my neck to see whom it was (turning my body wasn’t a possibility). I was met with a grinning face.
“How the hell did you find me?”
“I didn’t,” Kristin said. “I got shoved up here.”
The lights dimmed, guitar rifts echoed through the building. It was time. The crowd surged forward the most intense shove yet, but no one seemed to care this time. Blue spotlights flashed onto the stage and there they stood – Alex Gaskarth, Jack Barakat, Rian Dawson, and Zach Merrick. Everyone started jumping up and down to the beat, like we were one entity, as cheesy as that sounds.
According to Boethius, music has the ability to shape a person, depending on their character. There is music in our world today that can inspire people beyond belief. Listening to one song can pierce your soul and make you want to be better. It can inspire you to sing, to dance, to write, to live. There are also songs that can bring about anger, make you want to punch something (or someone). It makes me wonder how a simple three-minute melody can alter a person’s mood so quickly and so drastically? So drastically, that it can bring you to a state of joy, or sorrow. One song can take you back to that place you long for, or a place you never wish to experience again.

My ship went down in a sea of sound
When I woke up alone, I had everything
A handful of moments, I wished I could change
And a tongue like a nightmare that cut like a blade…

The opening of Therapy played through the venue. It was like a switch was flicked and all energy died from the crowd. Hands and cellphones went up into the air and began swaying to the beat. It was one of those songs that hit close to home with everybody. I looked over to see my newfound friend with tears streaming down his face and Kristin reaching out to give him a hug.
When the song ended, he grabbed Kristin and shoved her in front of him, moving her that much closer to the front.
“You deserve this,” he said.
I don’t think I’ve ever been more inspired than I was in that moment. They were both strangers – I don’t think we even learned his name – yet they were there for each other. It didn’t matter that she knew nothing about him, or that she would never see him again. All that mattered was that he was upset and Kristin was there to comfort him. I was reminded, if only for a moment, that good does still exist in this world. A kind act from a stranger goes a long way.
The concert ended too soon. A few more upbeat songs and it was over. The crowd filed out of the building and I began making my way towards the bar. I was in desperate need of some water. As I was about to start climbing the stairs, Kristin reached out and grabbed my arm. I looked back to see her leaning against a wall, holding her knee.
“You okay?” I asked.
“Just give me a sec, I think I dislocated my knee.” She twister her leg in a weird way and somehow managed to pop it back in.
“We need to get you some ice.”
She slung her arm around my shoulder and I half carried her towards the bar. There we were given water and then directed back towards the stage where the security guards were. We slowly made our way in that direction, Kristin hobbling along with most of her body weight resting on my shoulders.
“Hey, can I get an ice pack or something for my friend? I think she dislocated her knee.”
“You serious?” he called another security guard over. “This guy’s a paramedic, he’ll help you out.”
The new security guard – a tall, buff, and rather cute guy – walked up to us and picked Kristin up bridal style. He started walking towards the clubs back exit, me following close behind. We got outside and he sat Kristin down on the stairs before asking her a billion questions. I didn’t pay much attention to the specifics, too focused on how nice the cool air felt on my feverish skin. The inside of that club was beyond stuffy and the fresh air was heavenly.
My once white shirt had turned an ungodly shade of grey – I don’t even want to know what caused that. Every piece of clothing was sticking to my body with sweat. The worst part: I’m pretty sure eighty percent of the sweat wasn’t mine.
“So I’m going to call a paramedic on duty to come wrap your knee up. Then we’ll get you a wheelchair and take you two out to your car.” He turned his attention to me. “You drove?”
“Yeah.”
And so the waiting began. Luckily for us the security guard/paramedic dude was really cool. He sat with us the whole time we were waiting for the other paramedic, cracking jokes and pulling tricks in Kristin’s wheelchair.
The paramedic arrived about ten minutes later. He grabbed his bag and pulled out a pair of scissors. I watched Kristin’s eyes grow as she realized what he was about to do and it was all I could do not to laugh. He sliced right up the side of her skinny jeans, ruining them forever. More questions were asked and her knee was wrapped. Kristin was then forced into the wheelchair despite her complaints. No way in hell was I carrying her all the way back to the car.
“Weewoo, weewoo, weewoo,” the security guard yelled out as he wheeled Kristin through Downtown Disney and back to the parking lot. People turned to stare and I about died from laughter. Kristin just buried her head in her lap, but I could see her shaking from laughter as well. We made it out to my car and the security guard turned to give me a very pointed look.
“You,” he pointed a finger for emphasis, “are to take her straight back to your dorm and make her elevate her foot. No detours.”
“Yes sir,” I saluted him.
He helped Kristin into my beat-up old Corolla – seriously, the car is older than me – gave us one more pointed look, and started back towards the club.
“How long do you think we should wait for him to get back?” I asked.
“Give it three minutes.”
Precisely three minutes later Kristin was nestled in my arms as I walked us towards the tour bus parked a few rows ahead of us. No knee injury was going to keep us from the opportunity to meet one of the bands. And meet a band we did. We managed to get pictures with both John Gomez and Josh Montgomery from The Summer Set. It was the perfect end to a crazy night.
I’ve been to many concerts in my lifetime – hell, I performed in half of them – yet this one topped them all. I know that’s cliché, but it’s also true. That night, I experienced the essence of music. I watched friendships form – if only for a little while - I witnessed the kindness of strangers, experienced the pinnacle of adrenaline rushes, and met some pretty awesome musicians. I learned that music is a language entirely its own. It’s like therapy, speaking to people in a way nothing else can, and for that one night, I listened.