Status: Active

To the People

Letter #4: To My Mom

Dear Mom,

Can you ever stop yelling at me? Every day I’m being yelled at and more than half the time I don’t even know why. I mean, if I actually did something wrong, then I would understand why you’re angry. But keep in mind you get mad at me while I’m helping you with things you ask me to help with.

Also, it would be nice if you would stop insulting me. Every time we’re with your friends or family you talk about my mistakes and you exaggerate. For example, how did me getting a C on a test in reality turn into me failing all of my classes? Now almost your whole family thinks there’s something wrong with me.

Another thing you insult me with: my weight. You constantly tell me that I’m overweight even though the doctor says I’m fine. I cried for hours after you told me, “Instead of buying new clothes, how ‘bout you lose weight? I don’t want to waste my money on a size as large as yours.”

You also insult me when it comes to the clothes I wear. A woman with no style of her own (meaning you) is telling me that I need to start “looking like a girl”. You call me a boy in the stores we go to and people always stare. Just keep in mind that I haven’t forgiven you for that comment you made before we went to the wedding in August.

“Why are you packing so many clothes?” you asked.

“Well I’m not just gonna walk around naked,” I said.

“It would be an improvement.”

“What do you mean?”

And then you said: “Nudity would be an improvement to what you usually wear.”

And yet you walk around like everything you say is funny.

The reason why I’m writing this letter to you and not saying these things in person is because you don’t know how to listen. Every time I try to talk to you about my problems, you ignore me and just keep watching the TV. You say you listen but trust me, you don’t. I’ve tested you many times. I asked you questions that were related to my problems and you didn’t know any of the answers.

Thanks a lot.

From,
Dom