Broken

diecisiete

Three years later

“Mom’s throwing a fit,” Darla informed Vic as he tied his tie in front of the mirror in his hotel room. He stopped what he was doing to turn to the fourteen year old talking to him—who was going to be his step-daughter in a few months. Vic was going to adopt Darla. He and she had a long discussion and at the end, they both decided on it. Danielle cried when she heard the news and she agreed right away. “She said the world is going to burn in front of her eyes.”

Vic laughed and carried on with his tie tying. “What’s wrong? Lil Wayne isn’t touring the west coast or did she break a nail?” Vic and Darla were like best friends. He’d always have jam lessons with her at his place and Mike also helped her play drums. They were attached to the hip. But he knew that was going to end since she’ll be entering her rebellious phase soon.

“I don’t have the slightest clue. She won’t come out of the room. She locked everyone out. Including Daisy.”

“Your sister?” Vic asked. He knew it was now serious because Danielle would take Daisy and Desiree everywhere she went. “Where is she at?” He headed for the door of his room.

“She’s with grandma.”

“What room is your mother in?”

She shook her head. “I can’t tell you because you’re not supposed to see her before the wedding.”

It was true. Danielle followed all those rules about the wedding. He was sure that she went crazy trying to find something old, blue, borrowed and new items to wear so she wouldn’t have bad luck. She wanted everything to be perfect, but would it be bad that he just wanted to comfort her and let her know how beautiful she was to him?

“I’ll cover my eyes.” He said, looking for a blind fold around his room. “I’ll be there next to her but technically I won’t be seeing her so it can’t hurt.”

Darla smiled, “I’ll go ask for a blindfold and I’ll be right back.” She left out the door. Vic sighed with a smile. He grabbed his phone and dialed his beloved little brother Michael.

On the second ring Mike answered. “Getting cold feet already?” Mike said over the other end of the line. Vic chuckled and looked out the window to see the view of the city. “Just think of it this way, you’re marrying a milf. That should put all your worries away. That or smoke a blunt. That’ll relieve all the stress.”

“I just wanted to see Daisy and Desiree before I walk down the aisle. That’s all.”

“I’ll take them up there right now with Cindy.”

“Thanks, bro.” He ended the call and shoved his phone in his pocket. Within an hour he was going to marry Danielle O’Brien. That’s if Danni decides to walk down the aisle with her dress. Having a breakdown on the day of the wedding can only mean two things.

1) Nothing is going their way.
or

2) They are getting cold feet.

Vic walked to the dresser and pulled out the valentine’s cards that Danni had given him long ago. He then stared at the pictures that they buried together. He replayed the little memory of them getting married at his back yard when they were kids. Those always made him know that he was marrying the perfect girl.

“Baby Fuentes’ are here.” Mike knocked on the door of Vic’s room, waking him up from his train of thoughts. He went to the door and swung the door opening, revealing Mike holding on to Desiree and Cindy carrying Daisy in her arms.

“Daddy,” Desiree exclaimed, moving herself forward so he can hold her. A huge smile spread across his face. He loved hearing his daughters say that word. It was the best feeling in the world and that’s exactly what he need before his wedding.

“Hey there,” Vic held her and placed a kiss on her cheek. Mike and Cindy entered the room. Daisy was asleep since she was still a baby. Desiree was two years. Danielle wanted more daughters. She didn’t want any boys which made Vic laugh. Those two times she got pregnant, he prayed and hoped they were boys. Danielle would laugh at him when she got the news that she gave birth to a baby girl again.

Cindy and Mike sat down on the bed and Vic stood in front of the window and pointed at the planes or clouds that were up in the sky. Desiree would point at them also and get excited when she sees a plane. “What’s that over there?” Vic questioned his daughter. She babbled and Vic made a shocked look. “Uh-huh! You’re right. Can you find a bird?”

She pointed up in the sky and Vic smiled even wider. “I swear this girl is going to be the smartest girl in the history of smart girls.”

There was a knock on the door and Darla entered the room with a black blindfold in hand. “Found one. Uncle Damon had one in his car.”

“What are you going to do with that?” Mike piped up.

“He’s gonna go talk to my mom since she’s having a meltdown right now.” Darla informed the man on the bed. He whipped his head to Vic with his mouth slightly opened.

“It’s bad luck though,” Cindy said.

“Not if I don’t see her.” Vic walked over to Darla and grabbed the blindfold off her hands. “I’m going to cover my eyes so I can talk to her and calm her down.

“She’s having last minute jitters also?” Mike smiled but Vic just glared at him. Mike put his hands up, signaling that he would stay quiet.

“Baby, go get Desiree from him.”

Michael got up from the bed and held onto Desiree. Cindy walked up to Vic so he can see Daisy before he leaves the room. Vic held Daisy in his arms and kissed her forehead. “I’m marrying mommy today,” he whispered.

“Are you two ever having kids?” Darla asked Mike and Cindy who both whipped their heads to each other. Vic handed the baby back to Cindy and she looked nervous. He then stared at his brother who was stumbling with his words.

“Well are you two?” Vic smiled but then it faded when the couple wasn’t looking at each other. “Nooo,” his smiled returned. “You’re pregnant?”

“We were going to tell you after the wedding.” Mike rubbed his arm, still not able to make eye contact with his brother.

“Give me a hug!”

Cindy picked up Daisy from Vic’s arms so that he can give his brother a congratulatory hug with a pat on the back. He then hugged Cindy next. “We can schedule play dates now and mom is going to be so happy.”

“I am so glad I asked.” Darla chimed but Mike pulled her to his side and smiled. “Okay, enough of this emotional scene. My mom needs help now! And probably mental help because she keeps threatening everyone.”

They walked out the door and to Danielle’s room on the next floor. Darla blind folded Vic inside the elevator so he wouldn’t see what room number she was in. They took a turn down the hallway and arrived in front of Danni’s room. Mrs. O’Brien was outside with Devin and Wendy.

“Vic?” His soon to be mother in law asked with an eyebrow raised. “What are you—”

“He’s going to help mom since she’s being…” Darla whistled the coo coo noise.

“IS THAT VIC!?” Danielle shouted from her room. “WHAT IS HE DOING HERE!? It’s bad luck to see the bride before the wedding!!! AND I HEARD THAT DARLA!”

“She’s gone insane,” Wendy whispered softly so Danielle wouldn’t hear her. Vic tried not to laugh so instead he smiled. He stepped forward and Darla took him to the door. Vic knocked lightly and got closer to the door.

“Danielle, open the door.”

“What part of BAD LUCK don’t you understand?! DO YOU WANT OUR MARRIAGE TO FAIL, FUENTES?!” She yelled at him. Wendy tried not to laugh. Vic faced the direction of the laugh and Wendy covered her mouth as if he could see.

“She’s not going to open the door.” Devin informed Vic. “She was like this at her sweet sixteen, homecoming and prom.”

“Can you guys give us a minute?” He removed his blindfold and eyed Danielle’s family. Mrs. O’Brien nodded with a smile and escorted Darla out of the hallway. Devin left next with Wendy, leaving Mike and Cindy with their nieces. Vic went to Cindy and picked up Daisy. “Can you set Desiree on the floor so we can have some time with Danielle?”

“Sure,” Mike placed Desiree on the ground and she slowly walked to Vic and held onto his slacks. Michael threw his arm around Cindy’s shoulder and walked with her to the bar down stairs.

Vic knocked on the door again. “Everyone is gone. Open the door. I have Desiree and Daisy here.”

“No, you don’t understand.” she cried out. Vic whispered in Desiree’s ear and she walked to the door and knocked twice, calling out her mother’s name. “Desiree,” she sniffled.

“Open,” Des knocked again. There were movements on the other side of the door. Then the door unlocked.

“You better not peek, Victor!”

“I’m looking away.” He told her with half a grin. The door opened quietly and Danielle saw Desiree looking up at her. She saw Vic looking away with Daisy in his arms. She let Desiree come inside and she locked the door again.

“You can look now.” She slid down the door and leaned on it. He saw from the shadow under the door. He did the same and leaned on the door.

“What’s wrong, Danielle? Talk to me.”

“You’re going to think I’m stupid.”

“Try me.”

She stood quiet for a minute then sniffled again. He waited for her to speak but she didn’t say another word. “I know this is the most nerve wrecking thing in both our lives but if you’re having second thoughts just know that I love you and will wait if you think you’re not ready to get married today.”

She cried a little harder. “It’s not that, Vic. I know I want to marry you and I’m ready to start the rest of my life with you.”

“Then what’s got you locked up in there?”

Desiree started babbling and squealing in Danielle’s laps. She started to play with the outer layer of Danni’s dress and moved her hands around. “I look fat.” She finally confessed. “My dress barely fit me and I look like a whale. I don’t want people thinking you’re marrying a whale. I want to look beautiful for our big day.” She said through her silent sobs.

“Danni, I don’t think you’re fat.”

“You’re supposed to say that. You’re my fiancé. It’s mandatory.”

“I’m not saying that because I’m supposed to, I’m saying that because you’re not. In my eyes you’re the most beautiful girl I have ever seen in my life. More beautiful than the world. As a matter of fact, beautiful ain't the word. Unexplainable is the beauty of you. Whether you’re just in your underwear with one of my old shirts, you’re still beautiful. No matter how you look like, it won’t change the way I feel about you.”

She laughed and cried some more. “Did you just quote Lil Wayne?”

“I sure did.” He smiled. “I started to listen to him some more when you’re out working.”

She smiled and stopped crying. “You are so lame, Vic. I’m so happy that I’m marrying you though.”

He felt her move and heard something on the floor. He looked down and it was her right hand under the door. Vic slowly removed his arm from Daisy and let his fingers touch hers. “Let’s get married.”

“Thank you, Vic. But there’s something I have to tell you.”

“Anything for you, Danni. What is it?”

She sniffled one last time and took a deep breath. “The reason why I feel fat and the dress barely fit me is because I’m pregnant again and I just found out this week.”

A smile took over his face. “Baby Fuentes number three?” He raised both his eyebrows.

“Yes,” her voice was low. “This stupid dress is hurting my boobs and it’s going to make me not want to have sex with you tonight.”

Vic laughed silently and lolled his head back on the door. “Junior Fuentes.”

“Don’t get any ideas!” She seethed. “She’s going to be a girl...again.”

Vic rubbed his eyes. Another baby to look out for. It made him excited again because he loves his little girls and another one wouldn’t hurt. He also wanted a big family like Danielle did and he found that a blessing. “Girl or boy, it doesn’t matter. Our family is getting bigger.”

Danielle got off the ground. “Yes. I’m ready to come out now. You can call my mom and Wendy.”

Vic got up from the floor carefully with a smile. He looked down at Daisy who was smiling up at him. “Looks like Daisy will be awake for the ceremony.”

“It’s because she found out that she’s going to have a little sister to watch over.”

“Yes,” Vic smiled. He heard the door open but he stopped himself from looking at Danielle. He, too, also believed that seeing the bride before the wedding was going to give them bad luck.

“I want to hold her,” Danielle said, opening the door wider. “Just don’t look at me or I will leave you at the altar.”

“The blind fold is in my pocket.” He informed the bride. Danielle walked over to Vic with Wendy’s scarf covering eyes. She used her arms to guide her because she didn’t want to see Vic. She wanted to save that moment for the wedding.

“I can’t see so guide me to your pocket.”

“Did you blindfold yourself also?” He asked, pulling the blindfold out of his pocket so it could be easier.

“Yes,” she replied, grabbing the blindfold from his hand. She then attempted to cover his eyes with it. Vic laughed and she growled at him. She finally tied it and he turned around slowly, closing his eyes so he wouldn’t get a glimpse of her in case the blind fold was easily visible. Vic handed her Daisy. Danielle held her carefully. “We’re the most stupid parents ever. Passing our kid to the other in blind folds.” She giggled.

“Stupid parents who belong together.”

Danielle held one of his hands. “You’re my stupid fiancé.”

“And you’re my stupid fiancée.” He said back to her. He placed both his hands on her arms then slid them up to her neck. He leaned in forward to kiss her but Danielle stopped him.

“Don’t kiss me, Vic. I want our first kiss this day to be when I’m Danielle Fuentes.”

Another enormous smile formed in Vic’s mouth. Just a couple of words that filled his heart up with happiness. No big deal. Actually, to him it was. Danielle Fuentes. She was finally stealing his name after all those years. “Can I at least hug my bride?”

“Of course you may.” They hugged and Vic placed a kiss on her forehead which he ended up kissing the space between her eyebrows. Danielle left back into her room while Vic went down stairs to look for Mrs. O’Brien.

The wedding was now in session. Vic stayed up front while the music played. Desiree walked down the aisle throwing red and black rose petals on the floor. She did it very slowly and the guests awed. Next was the ring barrier which was Danielle’s nephew, Dian. The bridesmaids were next.

Michael was the best man and Wendy was the maid of honor.

The song changed and all the guests got up from their seats. Vic inhaled deeply and cleared his throat. When he saw Mr. O’Brien walking down the aisle with Danielle, he was left breathless. His jaw dropped automatically, his heart pounded in his chest and he started experience an indescribable feeling inside of him.

The hairs on the back of his neck and arms were standing up. He had to wipe one of his eyes because he had started crying just by seeing Danielle. Everyone in the room disappeared and the only person Vic’s eyes were on were Danielle’s.

She was smiling nervously, wondering if Vic was crying because he finally realized that he was marrying a whale...or if he was crying because he was so happy to see her in her wedding dress. She started blushing. She couldn’t keep full eye contact with Vic. It was going to make cry. She started fanning her eyes and some of the guests laughed.

Vic took two steps forward as they reached the end of the aisle. Mr. O’Brien handed Danielle over to Vic. The couple walked to the priest hand in hand. They both smiled and stared into each other eyes as the priest spoke.

They said their vows—well Danielle said hers, Vic sung her a song for his vows which made Danielle cry more. “I hate you,” she wiped the tears rolling out of her eyes. Everyone laughed again and she did as well.

“By the power invested in me, by the state of California, I hereby pronounce you Mr. & Mrs. Fuentes. You may kiss your bride.”

Vic smiled at Danielle and she smiled back. She jumped on him, wrapping her arms around his neck, and kissed the hell out of him. The guests all applaud for the newlyweds. Vic lowered her to the floor as they continued to kiss. When they pulled apart, she looked at the audience and held out her hand. “I’m married, bitches!” She faced Vic and kissed him again.

***

Danielle greeted her family from Colorado and her friends. Vic did the same with his. His older half-siblings Debbie, David, and Frank flew to San Diego to see Vic get married. Vic was so happy to see them with their whole family He hardly ever sees them since they lived miles away.

Vic excused himself from them and went to look for his mother. She was sitting down on her table with Victor Sr. He walked up to them and Vivian smiled up at him. “Four down, one to go.” Mrs. Fuentes informed Vic Jr. He laughed and sat down next to his mother. “I do hope Christopher marries Cindy.”

“I guarantee they will,” Vic glanced at his little brother on the dance floor, dancing with Daisy. Cindy was next to him but dancing with her nephew. “I just wanted to thank you two for everything. And thank you so much for sending me to Danni’s house with cookies.”

Vivian placed her hand on her son’s cheek and smiled. “Don’t thank me. You two were meant to be together.”

“Just like you and dad.”

“That’s right,” Mr. Fuentes commented, exchanging smiles with his son. “I’m proud of you son.”

“Thank you. I’m gonna go change Desiree’s diaper.” He left his parents with his other family and looked for his niece who was taking care of his daughter. Danielle saw Vic and pulled him to her.

“Where are you going, hubby?” She beamed, showing her teeth. “Dance with me.”

“Desiree needs a change.” He caressed her cheek. “And I don’t know where Katie is with her.”

“Cara has it taken care of.”

The DJ announced the bride and grooms first dance was initiating and Vic smiled in defeat. Danielle stuck out her tongue and pulled him into the dance floor. She looped her arms around his neck and started dancing with Vic while gazing into each other’s eyes for the next two minutes. “Mrs. Danielle Alicia Fuentes. Music to my ears.”

She blushed, “Has a nice flow, doesn’t it?”

He nodded then kissed her. The song came to an end and the guests applaud. They all started to grab a partner and walk over to the dance floor. “All right, time to open up the mosh pit!” Darla announced, rubbing both her hands together. A few of her friends were behind her.

Danielle immediately stopped smiling to whip her head to her daughter. “MICHAEL FUENTES! I WILL HURT YOU!”
♠ ♠ ♠
I REALLY MISS WRITING THIS STORY...

This picture inspired me to write the little scene before their wedding.

and as requested by alrightwell, here's the chapter i promised c:

xoxo

Tony Perry story i'm working on...Visions of the Night.

Thank you all for reading, commenting and recommending my story. <3