Status: contest.

Memories

figure this one out

I open my little black box and rummage through all the things that had been hiding in there for years. I sigh and just like that, my mind wanders to when we used to be happy and no lies ever left your tongue. It wanders to the time when I didn’t have to find truths on my own. I used to be happy, running around in circles when it was pouring and I couldn’t handle the cold. I pick up a little piece of white paper, all wrinkly and sad looking. I open it slowly; sorry.

I don’t really know how we got here, how I got here. We used to stay up all night talking about our future and how you wanted to have little Charlene’s and Aaron’s running around the house. What happened to that, Aaron? I inhale deeply and hold my breath. I didn’t want to be here; why would I want to be here after all that had happened? I want to be there with you, knowing you still love me like I still love you. My hand goes inside the little black box again and I can feel the texture of a photography tickling my fingertips. My eyes close and an immense force makes my hand come out of the little black box, my fingers still griping the photography. I look at it and smile.

We went to the fair that night. The last night I saw you. Your eyes were red for no reason and you stopped every few steps to catch your breath. I asked you so many times what was wrong but you only moved your head side to side and smiled. You made me take a lot of rides and I had to go to the bathroom a few times to let the excitement and fear leave my mouth. This is all wrong, Aaron. This is all fucked up.

I stand up from the bed and carefully pick up the little black box. Walking to the bathroom, I look around at all the pictures hanging up from my walls. Everything around me is you and me, everything around me smells like you, Aaron. I knew you so well. How could I not notice what was going through your mind? Was I to involved in loving you to not notice you were distancing from me so fast, so hard?

I could have never known, though. I was too distracted studying and treating you like a king I never asked why you cried before going to sleep or why you wanted to cuddle all day in bed wearing pajamas. I walk slowly into the bathroom and close the door, locking it right after. I look around and my eyes wander to the floor. I sit down rapidly and turn the little black box around, all of its contents falling to the floor. My eyes roam the surface of everything but I am not seeing those things, I am only seeing you, Aaron Sweet.