Balloons

we fly balloons on this fuel called love

He picks me up around the curb of my house. I had been sitting there for only five minutes when I saw his old truck coming nearer and nearer. I stood up and opened the door, jumping in and grinning at him. I always wanted to go to the March Electric Concert and never have I thought I would go with Nick.

His hand grasps mine tightly as we walk around people, pushing them to let us pass through. Nick looks back and smiles. “Are you okay?” he yells. I grin happily, unable to contain in. “Of course I am,” I reply. “Why wouldn’t I be?”

We make it to the front as soon as the first artist comes out and starts blaring the speakers. I laugh and jump around with Nick. I’ve never had so much fun after my dad died. The only thing I was thinking about all the time I was here with Nick was how much I love him. Not dad, him; Nick. He had been there for me when mom fought for nothing or when I didn’t want to go to school because I had been made fun of the day before.

As the last artist comes out, he turns around and looks at me. A look I have never seen in his eyes before. I get nervous, I do. But I didn’t give a shit about the world or the music or anything there right now. His right hand moves a piece of hair behind my ear and as cliché as it sounds, he moves forward and kisses me so softly I thought we were both going to break. He pulls away and at that same exact moment, a bunch of balloons of every color; red, blue, yellow, green, fell down from above us. I look up and smile the biggest smile my lips have ever felt.

My head turns to him again and I grin. He grins back and then I open my mouth to speak.

”They’re balloons, Nick! Balloons!”