In Her Eyes

Baby, You Better Run

I started walking toward Room 103, Science, My second period class, because the bell was about to ring. At at that moment, I realized that i really did not want to be at school. I grabbed Rebecca out of Science and convinced her to skip with me. We left and stopped by my house, since my mom was at work. I got a bag and filled it with clothes. "What are you doing?" Rebecca said. "Packing" I say. "For what?" Rebecca stares at me. "I'm leaving." I said. "Um, why?" She asked confused. I gave her a 'wtf' look. "My mom slapped me this morning.." I told her. She look at me like i was crazy. "So!?" She said. "I've been through this shit before, Becca. You of all people should know why I'm freaking out about this." I yelled.

Rebecca stepped away.
"I'm sorry.. I just dont get why you dont see whats coming." I said quitely.
"I do, I know what you mean, but maybe that's not how its going to end up." She tried to explain. "Your mom got help, maybe she really has changed. Did she have a real reason to slap you?"
"She was bitching at me this morning, and she told me she was done playing with me, and i told her I didnt know it was a game, so she slapped me, I called her a bitch and walked away. She was trying to pull me back but i wouldn't let her." I told her. Rebecca had a bit of a disappointed look on her face. All she could force out was an 'Oh...'

I quickly gathered more stuff and packed it down into my bag. Becca followed me as I searched through the kitchen for things i might need, and packed it deeper into my book bag. Becca just stared at me and said. "Are you really going to do this? Your mom--" "I'm not taking and chances!" I yelled and ran back to my room. She ran after me, "Emily, I'm not letting you do this again!" She screamed. "What else could I do!?" I screamed back.

And we cried.
That's all we did.
And thats when the memories came flowing back in.

Me and Rebecca have been friends since we were 10 years old. We told each other everything, even about when my mom beat me when I was 8. I thought it was all over, until Christmas. Rebecca and her family were over, we were having a Christmas dinner. Rebecca and I went into my room. We were twelve, so we were just hanging out and talking. For Christmas, I got my first cell phone, and we were talking to these two guys, Michael and Chris. He asked us to send pictures of our boobs, and since the phone was on speaker, my mom could hear everything, because we didn't know she was listening behind my door. I didn't want to, but Rebecca was up for it, so I acted cool about it. I had really small boobs, but Rebecca had a B Cup. Big boobs for a 12 year old, no? She took a full naked picture of herself, but covered her area down there with her hand. I was getting ready to take my picture, trying to force my boobs to look bigger, when my mom barged in. She started screaming and cursing things at us and we started freaking out. The guys on the phone heard the whole thing, and they havn't talked to us since. But the worst part is, thats when my mom started beating me again. She held my up by my throat and through my on the floor, kicking and slapping me. Rebecca was just balling in the corner trying to scream at my mom to stop. Her mom eventually came in and saw what was going on and got my mom to calm down. I didnt even want to look at her. But I just packed my bags, and I screamed "No wonder dad left us, Your a pshyco bitch!" and ran out the door. I lived on the streets for about 2 days before I realized it was time for me to go home. Now, I might have to stay much longer. Because I'm not reliving that Christmas over again. Because I'm going to fuck something up, and get beat down by my mom. That's all I am. A stupid fuck up.

"I have to do this.." I mumbled out through tears.
"Then I'm doing it with you." She answered back.