Kisses & Kerosene

Noose And Nail

Esme laid on the cold dirty ground, she could barely move her legs let alone her whole body. She looked around the room to find that she was alone finally, her father had left her. Getting onto her hands and knees she crawled over to her bed pulling herself up on to it, she was tired of it all. She was tired of the constant beatings from her father; she looked ever out the window to see that the snow is falling again. Winter was here and the promise of more beatings was at hand for father would not be able to go to work and she would have to protect her mother from her father’s wrath. She pushed her bloodstained red hair out of her face and what the tears from her eyes, “Soon” she thought. Soon she would not take anymore the beatings she would do something about it. But what could she do?

It was called the next morning below freezing, as Esme got dressed and ready for school. It was a long walk to school in the freezing cold; she pulled on her favorite raggedy old shirt that had Three Days Grace on it, one of her favorite bands. It was short sleeve she didn’t have any long sleeves let alone the coat; her father was too greedy with his money all he would use it for was to buy alcohol. She pulled on what was left of her tennis shoes she hadn’t had any new shoes in a long time but that was okay she could do without she was used to it.

Opening the door to her bedroom she walked out into the kitchen where her mother was making breakfast. Her mother turned around making Esme cringe at the sight of her black eye just another reminder of the abuse. Her mother smiled at her,” Are you about ready for school, baby?” Asked her mother. Esme put on her fake smile and said,” Yeah I am. What did you make for breakfast?” Her mother turned back around to the stove,” Eggs, your father is going to have to get us some more food. It’s going to be really hard to get out in this weather. Are you sure you should go to school today?” She asked as she made breakfast. Esme knew that it was crazy to get out and this weather but she didn’t care she wanted to be away from her family mostly her dad.” Yes mom still going to school. It would be crazy for me to miss it just because it’s snowing.”

The long walk to school was painfully cold and miserable; Esme tried to keep herself warm but to no avail. The school was small and not a lot of students for they were a long way from a town and not a lot of people lived out there. But even so the school had its bullies; Esme was made her way down to her locker only to be stopped by one of the pretty girls who pushed her up against the lockers,” Well if it’s isn’t Esme I see you’re wearing the same thing you wore yesterday. Don’t you have any clothes? It’s very disgusting to wear those stupid rags.” Said Mary, the prettiest girl in school.” You know you’ve really been a disgrace on the school.” Said Mary’s friend. Something in Esme snapped she reached and grabbed Mary by the hair and pulling her close to whisper in her ear, “Maybe you should look in the mirror, bitch. You’re not little Miss perfect, and you’re a disgrace to every woman out there with your cheap whore look.” Said Esme before running her tongue across Mary’s cheek and throwing her back away from herself. Esme turned around grabbing her things and walked to her class receiving countless glares from other students; she had never acted like that before she had always been the nice one.

School drag on throughout the day but 3 o’clock rolled around fast for Esme. She walked back to her locker where she placed most of her books receiving countless glares from other students. But she didn’t care she would rather be hated that loved it was for the best. It has warmed up a little outside but it was still below freezing as she began her long walk home alone. She hated to go back home she knew her father would be waiting for her ready to take his anger out on her. As that thought ran through her head she felt her blood boil as anger filled her oh how she hated him and wished he was dead. Why wouldn’t her mother leave him? It would be so easy just to walk out that door and never come back but she wouldn’t she was too afraid of him. Afraid of what he might do to her. Esme wasn’t afraid of him anymore she was tired of it tired of him tired of everything.