Status: Active

I Don't Want the World to See Me

Invitations

Clara smiled as she sat by the piano of the restaurant. Lunch time had just started and today it was her turn to play during lunch. As couples, families, co-workers and friends started to come in to get tables and eat. Clara began to play the soft melody that had been playing around in her head for the last week.

She was just requested to play mostly Mozart, Vivaldi, Beethoven and even Bach but in the middle of that she could always throw him one or two of her melodies, which she did as a warm up. As her fingers moved naturally over the piano keys, she hummed the melody silently as a self-guide.

She could feel the people staring, commenting amongst themselves and she hoped that they liked it. She could sense her boss going around the tables, charming people with his words as he kept his staff in order. The room quickly began to fill, the waiters began to go around faster and more efficiently as Clara looked up around the room, smiling softly.

As she focused on her music again, she began to play Mozart and lost track of time until she felt someone approaching.

“Clara,” Her boss whispered to her, standing close enough for her to hear but not too close so he wouldn’t disturb her concentration.

“Yes Sir?” Clara asked as she reached the end of her Bach piece.

“Your grandmother has just arrived for lunch with a young man. You may take a break in a bit and join them, if you’d like. You have been playing for a couple of hours and lunch has pretty much settled down.” He said as she turned to him with a kind smile.

“Thank you, sir.” She said as she took a moment to finish her piece and stood up. She blushed softly when she received quite a few applauses and greetings as she made her way to her grandmother’s table.

Tom’s heart was racing as she made her way to their table and he quickly wiped his lips. It was the first time, in years, that he actually saw her sitting at a piano and playing. He was beyond surprised as he realized how much she had evolved. From the shy girl that was only able to play when she was alone, she had developed into a woman who could enchant anyone with her melodies. Her gentleness and delicate fingers still prevailed but now, she got much deeper into the music and he knew that for a few moments, she was only there physically and he wondered what she thought about when she played.

In truth, today, she had thought about him and when her boss went over to talk to her, Clara immediately realized that the young man could only be Tom. When she saw him, her blush intensified a bit while she sat next to her grandmother.

“Hello Nana.” Clara smiled widely as she glanced at Tom “Hey Tom.”

Tom smiled but before he could say anything, Nana stole the word.

“Oh sweetheart, that was beautiful!” She beamed as she grabbed Clara’s hand, making her chuckle softly.

“Nana you must be tired of listening to it all the time. And you’ve been listening to it for years.” Clara said gently as Nana shook her head.

“Of course not, my dear,” Nana said with a wide smile “She was sounding magical, wasn’t she Tom?”

Tom nodded his head, finally happy to have the opportunity to speak.

“Nana is right, Clara. You are so talented, it was truly magnificent.” He said, his eyes lightening up as she looked at him with a shy smile. “You sound ever better than you sounded years ago and I didn’t think that improving was impossible. I was wrong.”

“Tom,” Clara said, a bit at loss for words, “You are too kind, thank you.” She smiled as she looked into his eyes and saw a big mix of emotions inside his blue irises.

She was confused for a bit, Tom’s body language seemed to want to tell a story but Nana was far too pleased by the situation to let silence settle in so Clara’s thoughts were interrupted when she spoke.

“See, Tom? I was right in bringing you here, after all. You enjoyed it.”

Clara gave them a confused look as Tom threw a knowing look towards Nana.

“Yes, Nana, you are indeed always right.” He chuckled as he turned to Clara and leaned his elbows on the table “Nana, went to my house and almost kidnapped me to come here. The thing is that she didn’t tell me that you play here.”

Clara widened her eyes slightly and glanced at her grandmother who looked proud of herself.

“Everyone needs mystery and surprises in their lives from now and then. I surprised both of you, which is an achievement.” The older woman replied as she observed the looks they exchanged and how they talked to each other.

The more she watched them, the more she knew that they still had feelings for each other but she also knew that they had to realize that for themselves. It was adorable to watch, though, but a bit frustrating because Nana was a woman that never kept her mouth shut and Clara was the exact opposite.

“Here you go.” A friendly voice spoke, taking Clara’s eyes from Tom’s as she looked at Tony, who was placing a plate in front of her.

“Oh... Tony.” Clara said, smiling gently “You didn’t have to.” She said, looking at the omelet and toast “I bet that you haven’t had lunch yet!”

Tony chuckled and shrugged his shoulders “Good afternoon.” He said to greet Nana and Tom. Then he turned to Clara again “You’ve played so beautifully once again, you deserve it.” He said as he looked at her intently.

Tom felt his stomach twist and turn but he kept his expression and body posture. He had no idea of who that guy was but Tom knew that look. That guy fancied Clara but she seemed completely oblivious to it and that made Tom feel a bit more relieved. Despite that, he needed to make sure before he took any plunge in regards of getting closer to Clara.

“Ow, thank you.” Clara smiled as Tony smiled even wider and only left when someone called for him.

Nana was observing again. Deep down, she only wanted her granddaughter to be happy and the look on Tom’s face, just confirmed the old woman’s suspicions. He still loved Clara and maybe Tony was the push he needed to speak. She had realized a few months ago that Tony fancied Clara but the girl was clearly blind to that fact. Her heart only raced for someone else.

As Tom watched him leave, he observed as Clara smiled softly and took a bite from her toast. He inhaled silently, sipping on his wine while Nana observed the people inside the restaurant. The three of them remained silent.

Suddenly, Clara glanced at her wristwatch almost absent-mindedly and she widened her eyes, standing up abruptly.

“I’m super late. I need to pick up Jenny!” She said as she wiped her lips with her napkin and moved to kiss her grandmother’s forehead.

Tom watched her go with his eyes slightly wide and his throat dry. Why couldn’t he say anything? Why was he acting like a teenager again?

“Guys!” Clara called back at the waiters, waving “See you in a couple of days.” She said as a wave of goodbyes filled the atmosphere. At last, she turned to Tom and smiled “I’ll see you later?”

Tom blinked and nodded his head. Clara smiled softly and rushed outside while Nana sighed heavily. Tom didn’t need to look at her to know that the woman was silently upset with his attitude. Nana didn’t need to be vocal about it, Tom knew that he had her approval but if he didn’t make an effort, he knew that the older woman would gladly take someone else’s side, probably even Tony’s.

Tom straightened up at the thought as he finished his food. He couldn’t let that happen, not without trying. Clara had slipped between his fingers once, he would not just sit and watch it happen again and this time because someone else had been braver.

••••••


“And, yesterday, daddy and I went to a field and I saw 20 butterflies!” Jenny said excitedly as she extended her arms in the air, making Clara chuckle softly.

“That sounds amazing sweetheart. Were they all in different colours?”

“You bet!” Jenny replied excitedly as she began to tell Clara, in great detail, all the colours and patterns she had seen.

The way to Clara’s house was only about 20 minutes and when they stepped inside the brunette young woman was surprised to Tom’s voice. She had assumed that he would have gone home when Nana and him left the restaurant.

“We are home Nana!” Jenny announced adorably as Clara helped her take her coat off.

As she turned to hang the coat, she saw a pair of blue eyes peek from the kitchen, accompanied by a soft smile. It was Tom.

“I am in the kitchen Jenny!” Nana replied as Jenny stared at Tom, clearly curious about whom he was but she was clearly more intimidated by his height and body blocking the door.

“Good afternoon.” Tom said with his usual polite tone as he bowed towards Jenny, as if she was a princess.

She giggled “This is the first time a boy bows to me.” She admitted, loud enough for both Clara and Tom to hear.

Clara chucked shyly, Tom was always so sweet and a charmer, even with children. Tom’s eyes observed Clara tenderly before he quickly looked at Jenny again. He was still a bit embarrassed about his attitude at the restaurant.

“Well, that is a shame. Boys are lost these days.” Tom chuckled as Jenny smiled at him.

“I’m Jenny.” She introduced, extending her hand.

Tom bent down again and took her little hand, kissing it softly “It’s a pleasure to meet you Jenny. I’m Tom.”

“You are Clara’s childhood friend!” Jenny squealed making Tom smile widely. Someone had told Jenny about him and that cheered him up after what happened earlier.

“Indeed, I am.” He replied “And you must be her lovely student. Every time I see you arrive, there is beautiful music following. You are a brilliant piano player.”

Jenny blushed and shook her head.

“Clara is responsible for most of the pretty melodies.” She admitted as Clara gave her a shook her head.

“Don’t be so modest sweetie. You play beautifully, you know that.” Clara said as she approached them softly and placed her hand on Jenny’s golden hair.

The little girl’s blue eyes looked up and she gave Clara a toothy-grin. For a child, Jenny was very observant and she knew what was going on. Tom was a good person but he was being sweet to her to catch Clara’s attention and admiration. Indeed Tom was, unconsciously, doing everything to get Clara’s attention. He craved it but he wanted to be discreet about it.

He had been sitting with Nana for a couple of hours now. She almost got him to spit out what had happened at the restaurant and what had happened in London but he decided that Clara would be the first to know about the truth of his return. When the moment was proper, he was going to tell Clara. Nana had given up on insisting with him for the day and Tom had helped her bake for when the girls arrived, almost as an apology for being so secretive.

“Not as well as you, Clara.” Jenny pouted making Clara bend down to kiss her forehead.

“You will be better than me someday, you’ll see.” Clara said confidently as Nana called out for Jenny.

Tea was ready.

Jenny cheered and stormed into the kitchen, Clara chuckled when she heard the enthusiasm of the greeting between the older woman and the child. Nana saw Jenny as another granddaughter and it was adorable.

Then Clara blinked and noticed that Tom was observing her closely with that amazing smile of his. As she glanced at him, he cleared his throat.

“Hello Clara.” He greeted and she gave him a small smile.

“Hi Tom.” She greeted as she placed Jenny’s backpack on the floor “I’m sorry we didn’t even have the chance to speak properly at the restaurant. How are you?” She asked, knowing that no one would interrupt their conversation and that was making her extremely anxious. As much as she craved to talk to him, to be around him, her shy nature made things hard especially since she didn’t trust him completely.

“Oh don’t worry.” He said promptly, he would hate if she thought that his silence had been her fault “I’m doing wonderfully and you?”

“Just a bit tired.” She sighed as she felt him get closer. She felt that he had something to say.

“I was so happy to listen to you play today,” Tom said honestly, a wide smile adorning his features as Clara looked up at him “And I... hm... I was wondering if you would mind if I stayed to listen to you and Jenny.”

Clara’s cheeks coloured but she nodded her head “Of course, you can. It’s no problem Tom.” She smiled as he felt his heart racing.

She had no idea of how much it meant to him that she let him stay. Hearing her play took him back to their teenage years and it remembered him how he had been happy every summer he had been with her. Also, it made him think that he would love to be able to hear to her everyday and he knew that he loved her.

Jenny was done with tea quickly and she didn’t mind to have Tom with them in the living room, actually she looked excited. Jenny sat next to Clara and they started with a little warm-up.

“Can we play something new today?” Jenny asked with sparkly eyes before Clara could get a Mozart score.

Clara smiled “What would you like to play sweetie?”

“My favourite song: Hey Jude.” The girl squealed making both Clara and Tom chuckle. They loved that song as well.

“Alright but you are singing as well.” Clara chuckled, knowing that Jenny sometimes preferred to listen.

“Okay but you and Tom are singing with me!” Jenny said happily as Tom nodded his head excitedly.

Clara’s fingers took Jenny’s and she began to play the melody, teaching her patiently. ‘Hey Jude’ was one of the first songs she had ever heard and she still remembered it well. When all the three voices joined, Clara smiled and Tom felt his eyes lightning up as he stood up to be closer to them.

As Clara looked up and their eyes locked as he leaned down, closer and closer to her when there was a knock on the door. The music stopped abruptly and Clara stood up in a flustered rush. She furrowed her eyebrows when she sat Jenny’s father outside.

“Hello Clara.” He greeted happily as Jenny came running from the living room.

“Daddy!” She said happily as she hugged her father’s legs. The man laughed and picked her up, filling her face with kisses.

“I’m terribly sorry to show up this earlier.” He said towards Clara “But I need to take Jenny home earlier today, I hope you had time for some piano playing?”

Tom heard the male voice and smiled sweetly when Jenny ran from his sight. As he found himself alone, he sighed heavily, brushing his hair back with his slender fingers. What was he thinking? Why had he leaned down on her? What was he going to do? Why was he acting so stupidly?

In truth, he was leaning in because he wanted to be closer to her and because he wanted to kiss her. So badly. But he couldn’t. The worst had been how she looked at him, he could not decipher it. Had it been panic? Refusal? He wasn’t sure but he had to calm down and hold his impulses.

After a few minutes, Clara returned alone and Nana also joined in the living room.

“Is everything alright? Jenny went home very early today.” The older human commented.

“Everything is okay Nana and her father made me a wonderful proposition.” Clara smiled widely as she glanced between Nana and Tom “He is celebrating 10 years of marriage with his wife and, aside from inviting us, they want me to join their niece, who plays the violin, and perform during the dinner.”

Nana joined her eyes excitedly as Tom rested his hands in his hips proudly. The sparkle in Clara’s eyes was something impossible to describe.

“I said yes, of course.” Clara added “They are lovely, it will be wonderful.”

“That’s great, sweetheart!” Nana beamed as she looked back at the kitchen wall clock “Oh! I’m late for the late-afternoon bingo!” She realized as she began to rush making Clara and Tom chuckle.

“See you later Nana!” Clara waved as the older woman quickly left the house, leaving Tom and Clara standing in the room.

“Congratulations on the invitation. You’ll make their day special.” Tom said softly as Clara smiled towards him.

“Thank you, Tom. I really hope so.” She said as he shoved his hands into his pockets and approached a bit nervously.

“Since Nana is out and you are alone... “ He started, looking at his feet “Would you like to go to my house for dinner?” He asked as he looked up with hopeful eyes.

Clara’s heart skipped a beat as she licked her lips and nodded her head softly, before even thinking about it “That... That would be wonderful.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello everyone!
I am terribly sorry for the wait. Aside from college, my inspiration and motivation haven't been the best so updates will come when I have the time and the mood to sit down and write. I've been trying to develop an interesting plot and I'd like to know what you all think so far?
Thank you for your patience and support!