Status: Finished, but beware - the sequel is three times in length :)

Going Bush

01

“Isn’t this great?” Zac spun around, his eyes glistening in the reflection of light from the nearby river.
Isaac just smiled knowingly as he meddled with one of the tents.
“I don’t think we could have found a better spot,” Taylor agreed, looking around.
“Yeah well, you know the reason they let us come here. Because no one else does,” Isaac attempted to remind them, “and I don’t know about you two, but I doubt I’ll be getting much sleep tonight.”
“But you’re such a worrier,” Taylor pointed out.
“Warrior Ike!” Zac exclaimed, saluting.
Isaac stood up.
“At ease soldier.”
“Thank you, dearest brother.”
Taylor rolled his eyes as he began to set his own tent up.
“Come on Zac, set yours up. It’s gonna get dark pretty quickly tonight,” Isaac warned, having almost completed his.
“Yeah, yeah, I’ll get to it. I wanna go fishing.”
“Not tonight Zac, there isn’t time. Plus, there’s bound to be more out in the morning.”
Zac huffed childishly, before grabbing the makings of his tent and studying them carefully. Isaac began to help Taylor with his, so he could get it done quicker.

*

“Ok guys, we know where the nearest ranger is, don’t we?” Taylor began later on.
“Yeah Tay. The station is a few hundred yards that way,” Isaac pointed off into the bushes, “and one of the guys goes down that far track every hour or so. We should be fine. Just relax, it’s what we’re here for.”
“And yet you were the one freaking out,” Zac chuckled, finishing his tent off.
“I was not freaking out, merely stating a fact.”
“A fact that pin points you as a worry-wart and possibly paranoid freak?” Taylor offered.
“No…”
“Then what?” Zac grinned cheekily.
Isaac hesitated before opening his mouth.
“As someone who is taking precautions for their own well being, as well as that of their immediate family,” he grinned.
“Ok Ike, we get it,” Taylor held his hands up in surrender, “so what can we do?”
“It’s almost sundown already,” Zac whined, kicking some dirt away.
“Well let’s think about nighttime activities,” Isaac rubbed his hands together.
“Ghost stories,” Taylor immediately grinned.
“Tay, don’t you think we’re a bit old to…”
“Bug hunting!”
Isaac hesitated.
“Ok, that just tops it. I stand corrected Tay. My apologies.”
“And we’re not going bug hunting,” Taylor insisted.
“Ruin all my fun,” Zac huffed.
“Wanna start a fire?” Taylor looked up at Ike.
He considered it, and finally gave his consent. It was finally sunset.
“I don’t want us staying up too long,” Isaac began as Zac began fetching firewood.
“Ok Daddy,” he replied.