Status: Finished, but beware - the sequel is three times in length :)

Going Bush

12

“Hey! It’s ok!” Bernard began, stepping forward with his arms up in surrender, “we need to use your phone. We found one of the escapees. Please, put down your weapon.”
The farmer cocked his rifle, making Taylor jump.
“I know a Bernard Holmes when I sees him, yes Sir,” he almost growled.
Taylor’s eyes widened.
“Alright then,” Bernard began, turning back.
“FREEZE!” the farmer bellowed.
It was then that Nate grabbed Taylor around the waist and held the gun to his neck.
“Drop the rifle Sir, or I’ll blow his head off,” he challenged.
Taylor just closed his eyes, trying to stay unnaturally calm for his own sake.
“And how do I know he not be of yourn?” the farmer questioned.
“The long hair for a start,” Bernard shrugged.
The farmer trained his rifle on him again, before a single gunshot was heard and he collapsed where he stood.
Nate slid the gun into his belt and Bernard went up to the farmer and took his rifle from him. A woman’s cry was heard from inside.
“Well then… let’s make ourselves at home, shall we?” Bernard proposed, indicating for the other two to follow him inside.
Taylor looked like he’d just had the life scared out of him, so Nate grabbed his arm and pulled him in. They entered an open kitchen and dining area, where Nate shoved Taylor into a chair and Bernard went looking for the owner of the female voice.
No sooner did Taylor hear the woman’s pleas of mercy, did he hear the gunshot that ended her life.
“Check the rest of the house,” Nate called out, before Bernard did so.
Moments later, another gunshot was heard.
“What was that?!” Nate demanded while closing the back door up.
“Kid,” came the distant reply.
Taylor gulped and hung his head, folding his arms over his chest. Try as he might, he couldn’t wipe Zac from his thoughts.
Maybe, just maybe, Isaac had come out after him… or he’d sent someone out to find him or something.
He was soon distracted from his thoughts as Bernard’s heavy footsteps pounded the floorboards as he returned to the room. He came straight for Taylor and backhanded him across the face.
Almost sent flying, Taylor slipped awkwardly from the chair and backed against the wall, holding his face.
“Get something heavier for this kid so he doesn’t decide to ditch us again,” he said sternly, taking the rifle from the nearby bench and reloading it with some bullets he’d found.
“Want me to try the shed?” Nate suggested.
“Sure. Keys are by the phone.”
Taylor was conscious enough to hear Nate take the keys and disappear through the back door. Cringing and trying not to cry any more than he already had, he leant his face against the cold brick wall trying to stop it from swelling.
Bernard ignored him for the moment as he reloaded the rifle, then set it on the bench to wait for Nate to return to the house.