Status: Finished, but beware - the sequel is three times in length :)

Going Bush

17

The only thing Taylor could think about as the car was in motion was sleep. He had no idea how long it had been when he began to feel it slow, but he knew it must have been hours.
Realizing that by now Bernard must surely be awake, he gulped slightly and closed his eyes hoping that they wouldn’t even bother opening the trunk.
His hopes were somewhat realized when he heard them refueling.
Whoever was doing the refueling wasn’t talking, but he strained to hear anything anyway. He couldn’t hear anything else so the place couldn’t have been very populated. Moments later the car was on the move, soon parking where Taylor guessed behind the gas station. He heard more than one car door open, and then footsteps came around to the trunk. A rattle of keys later and he had to squint as light pierced the trunk space.
“Get him out,” came Bernard’s gruff voice.
Taylor couldn’t help but cringe when he felt Nate grab him by the shoulders and pull him out. At first it was hard to stand having been cramped in the trunk for so long, but he eventually managed. No sooner than he had however, he was punched in the stomach and winded causing him to collapse to his knees.
“You have to give him credit for desperation,” he managed to make out from Nate, “he could have very well killed himself as well.”
Taylor felt Bernard pull him up from the ground and push him back against the car, ready to take another swing at him.
“OI!” they heard Trent yell from a few metres away, obviously coming back from paying for the gas.
Bernard hit Taylor in the gut once more before he fell down onto his side.
“What?” Nate asked, as Taylor was also kicked when he was down.
“Did that kid tell you who he was?”
“His name’s Taylor, that’s all we needed to know. Why?” Bernard asked as Taylor set to coughing.
“You guys are really bad at choosing your hostages.”
“Why?” Nate frowned.
“This guy is Taylor Hanson. From a band called Hanson with his brothers. You guys don’t have a chance - it’s all over the news already.”
Bernard and Nate glanced at each other before Nate knelt down and untied Taylor’s gag. He’d only gotten more nervous with what Trent had revealed.
“Is that true?” Nate demanded, “you’re some kind of famous musician?”
“He has a wife and kids and everything,” Trent added, making Taylor look up at him as he continued trying to catch his breath.
“Really?” Bernard drawled.
“Why didn’t you say anything?” Nate scowled.
“I don’t know,” Taylor stammered, holding himself back from mentioning he’d been gagged most of the time.
“He didn’t say anything because he wouldn’t want to be held for ransom,” Bernard said for him.
“We’re not holding him for ransom,” Nate insisted, standing up again, “it’s too dangerous.”
“Of course not,” Bernard scorned, “half the people in the jail were probably there for some kind of ransom. This just makes the kid a more valuable hostage.”