Status: Finished, but beware - the sequel is three times in length :)

Going Bush

18

It was a couple of hours later when Isaac was told Zac had woken up.
“He’s not very with it,” the nurse informed him on the way to his room.
“I don’t care.”
“He might not remember anything.”
“I don’t care.”
“Are you sure you don’t want to let him rest?”
“I’m sure!”
The nurse reluctantly opened the door, and Isaac couldn’t stop himself rushing to Zac’s bedside.
“Zac? Zac, are you ok? Can you hear me?” he fired off, taking hold of his right hand.
Zac’s eyes barely opened, but he managed to distinguish that his brother was at his side.
“Ike?” he almost choked out.
“Yeah it’s me,” he confirmed, getting down onto one knee so he’d be closer.
“Where’s Tay?”
Isaac bit his lip and gave Zac’s hand a squeeze.
“I was hoping you could tell me.”
That registered a groan from Zac, as he closed his eyes and leant to the side a little.
“Don’t go back to sleep on me, come on,” Isaac insisted.
“I’m not,” Zac returned, “but I don’t know. They didn’t… tell me anything.”
“Are you sure?”
“Positive,” Zac whispered, breathing evenly.
“Did you see what direction they went?” Isaac asked hopefully.
“Not really,” Zac said quietly, “it looked like they were kind of… heading for the Thompson’s. But I don’t know for sure. Ike, they took him…”
“We know, we know,” Isaac insisted, giving his hand another squeeze, “they have people out looking. We’ll find him, ok?”
“What are you doing here?”
Isaac was slightly taken aback by the question.
“Go out and look,” Zac insisted, turning to face him and just managing to open his eyes slightly, “I’ll be fine, I promise.”
“They said you would be.”
“I will,” Zac reinforced, “it’s Tay we have to worry about. If I were you I’d be out that door already.”
“You’re not me.”
“Obviously,” Zac’s voice fell to a whisper again, “so go already. Don’t make me argue when I can’t even think straight.”
Isaac smiled, then kissed his brother’s hand.
“I’ll be back,” he promised, letting go and finally standing up.
“Well you’d better be,” Zac mumbled, “see you.”
As Isaac departed, he returned his jacket to his shoulders and stopped to view a map on the wall near the entrance. When he deciphered where they’d been camping and where the nearby farmhouse of the Thompson’s was, he pulled his car keys from his pocket and headed outside.
Starting the pickup, he headed out onto the road to make his way to the farmhouse. Perhaps they’d had encounters with the criminals or at least seen something that might be able to help in the search for Taylor.