Status: Finished, but beware - the sequel is three times in length :)

Going Bush

02

The night was peaceful, and in the early hours of the next morning the brothers were found fishing by the bank of the thin river. Well, two of them. Zac had been sent for more firewood, as it was a freezing cold morning.
He returned with a few armfuls not long afterward.
“Any luck?” he called, coming down to the bank.
“A bit,” Taylor nodded to one fish beside where he was sitting.
“That’s mine,” Isaac called.
Taylor chuckled.
“Yeah, it’s his.”
“But you’re gonna share, right?” Zac raised his eyebrows.
Isaac just gave him a weird look.
“Just checking.”
Once they’d cook the two fish Isaac ended up catching, Taylor noticed the firewood running low again.
“Hey Zac, firewood,” he indicated the pile.
“What am I, a woodpecker? You get it. Work some muscle into those bones,” he joked.
“I think that’s about as much muscle as he can get,” Isaac teased.
“Thanks guys,” Taylor smirked, standing up.
He threw some fish bones down, and then headed off in search of wood. Zac lay back to relax, as Isaac continued enjoying the fish.

*

Carefully making his way through the scrub, Taylor kept a watchful eye out for any dead branches or fallen trees. Hopefully he wouldn’t have to uproot one.
After walking quite a way (in only one direction, he didn’t want to get lost out here) he soon came across a fallen dead tree. With a grin, he bounded toward it and began pulling the numerous branches from it and throwing them into a pile he could carry.
Suddenly, he thought he heard the bushes rustle behind him. He turned sharply, but there was no sign of anyone or anything. Shrugging it off, he got back to work.
But the sound came again. This time, Taylor frowned.
“Zac?” he scorned, “come on man. I’m doing you a favour here. If it weren’t for me doing this you’d end up freezing your butt off.”
No reply.
Taylor hesitated and bit his lip. He stood up and scanned the surrounding trees, trying to see any sign that his brother had been there. Sighing, he shook his head, then bent down to pick up the pile he’d created.
Suddenly, he heard a footstep behind him, and before he could turn around an arm made it’s way around his waist, the other covering his mouth.
Taylor cried out, and dropped the pile of wood to try and push whoever had him away. Zac was so dead… Then he realized the height difference of the person who had him.
Hesitating with confusion, the ‘grabber’ had time to take Taylor’s right arm and twist it behind his back, before pushing him forward so he was lying against the tree.
“Get him,” ordered a gruff voice.
Taylor’s eyes widened as he heard a second person’s footsteps approaching. The grabber suddenly released his hold on Taylor’s mouth, to pull and twist his other arm back.
“HELP! SOMEBODY! IKE! ZA-!”
The second person clamped their hand over his mouth instead with a deep growl.