Status: Finished, but beware - the sequel is three times in length :)

Going Bush

21

Isaac quite happily answered all the rangers’ questions about how he’d come to the farmhouse and what he’d found. He obviously didn’t know very much and so was let go early, but he’d been mostly relieved to know that the Thompsons were the only ones in the house.
As he began to make his way out to the driveway again, something crunched underfoot.
Looking down and taking a step back, Isaac saw a set of keys. Frowning in confusion for a moment, he spotted another set nearby. That led to another set sitting atop a small pile.
Then he looked up and saw the tyre tracks.
Glancing back at the farmhouse and seeing no one look in his direction, he took out his own keys and made his way over to the pickup.

*

“How far now?” Bernard demanded, making Taylor jump.
“Another ten minutes or so,” Trent replied as Nate gave Taylor a glance.
He was sitting between Bernard and Nate in the back seat, Trent being the driver.
“Where to from there?” Trent asked.
“We’ll probably head for the border in the morning,” Bernard replied.
“That soon?”
“Unless you want to stay during the day and then head for the border tomorrow evening,” Nate suggested.
“I’ll decide when we get there,” Bernard shrugged.
“I’ve got some people that might want to meet your kid, if you don’t have a problem with it,” Trent offered suddenly, making Taylor look up.
“What kind of people?” Bernard asked.
“Ones that would keep him occupied until you’re ready to leave, no doubt.”
“Regulars?” Nate’s eyebrows rose.
“Something like that.”
“We’ll see when we get there,” Bernard repeated, keeping his eye on Trent as if deciding whether to trust him or not.
Taylor set to hoping it didn’t happen with his eyes closed again. Nate watched him for a moment, before turning his attention to outside the window. They’d been in suburbia for almost ten minutes before Trent pulled the car into a side alley and turned the lights down.
“We’re here,” he announced, pulling the car to a halt.
“What is this place?” Bernard asked, pulling his jacket tighter over his shoulders as he registered the loud music coming from inside.
“It’s just a club,” Trent shrugged, turning back, “you know, disco, strippers, the usual.”
“Let’s get inside,” Nate insisted, opening his door and getting out.
He leant in again to pull Taylor out as the other two vacated the car as well.
“What about the car?” Bernard asked.
“I’ll dispose of it later. It’s stolen anyway,” Trent assured, making his way over to a side door and opening it for them.
The music was a lot louder inside, though they were still far from the source. Trent directed them through a few short hallways, eventually stopping at what looked like a shoddy motel room.
“You two should be fine in here,” Trent opened the door, before grabbing the back of Taylor’s jacket, “I’ll take the kid somewhere else.”