Status: Finished, but beware - the sequel is three times in length :)

Going Bush

26

“This is… insane,” Isaac said to himself, as he kept his eyes on the sunrise.
“One second, we’re all la-di-da in the woods, having a jolly old time. The next one of us is in hospital, another is being held hostage by escaped convicts, and the other is on an endless road to nowhere in search of the one being held by escaped convicts even when he has no idea where the hell they are or where they’re going.”
He looked at himself in the rear view mirror.
“You’re screwed in the head, you know this right?” he said to himself.
“Only a lunatic would be talking to himself in a situation like this. Actually, only a lunatic would be in this situation in the first place. What the hell am I doing?”
He began to pull over. There hadn’t been another car in sight for almost three hours now and he wasn’t even sure where he was.
Glancing at the gas tank and seeing he had plenty of fuel, he shut the engine off and leant back in his seat. His stomach had been growling for possibly the last hour or so, and after a long mental debate with himself he finally pulled himself from the truck to check the back and see if there was any food.
Before he even made it to the back however, he spied something odd in the trees on the side of the road. Squinting slightly, he decided it looked almost like a refrigerator.
Deciding the food could wait until he explored this odd addition to the road a little further, he made his way over. Upon closer inspection, he found it to actually be the hood of a white car. A patrol car, in fact, that had been covered over with branches.
“Holy…” Isaac cursed, rushing to pull the branches away.
He ducked around to the side, quickly grimacing and turning away when he saw the remains of the two men inside.
“Ok, I can work with this…” he gulped, before pulling out his cell phone.
He cursed when he found there was no coverage.
“Ok, ok, still working, still working…” Isaac told himself, making his way back up to the truck.
He looked back down on the car, his mind racing for what to do, before he made a dash for the front door of the truck and dived for the radio.
“Mayday! Mayday! Anyone out there? Over.”
A crackled reply soon came through.
“This is the Northern Oklahoma Ranger Station, how may we be of assistance? Over.”
“Hello!” Isaac exclaimed, “I just pulled over to get something out of my truck and found this car hidden on the side of the road. It’s a patrol car. Two officers dead and I don’t know if there was anyone else in there…”
“What is your location?”
Good question.
“Ah… I’m not sure. On a highway… there’s a farm across the road…”
“What kind of farm sir?”
“It looks like a chicken farm,” Isaac shrugged, “and it has cows. Maybe an egg and milk farm? Green roofing…”
“Was that green roofing?”
“Yes.”
“Ok we know which one that is. We’ll send someone out now.”
“Thank you,” Isaac breathed, before hanging up.
He debated what to do with himself for a moment, before deciding to stay by the truck.