Status: Finished, but beware - the sequel is three times in length :)

Going Bush

28

Barely a couple of hours later, Taylor’s door opened once again. Judging by the footsteps alone Taylor could tell who it was, and dare not close his eyes again.
“Get him up,” Bernard ordered.
The blonde appeared again with the key to the chains on Taylor’s wrists, and quickly set him free. She pulled him up, and he was able to stand up on the second attempt.
“Let’s go,” Bernard grumbled, grabbing Taylor by the hair and making him cringe.
He pulled him from the room, and back the way they’d come in. Upon returning to the alleyway, Taylor could see the sun was still far from rising.
When they stopped for a moment, he quickly managed to do up his belt and scratch an itch that had been a hassle for the past twenty minutes or so.
“Get in,” Bernard ordered, indicating the car they were standing beside.
Taylor hesitated, wondering for a moment at not being restrained in any way, before obediently getting in the passenger side. Once he was in, Bernard bid Trent farewell, then got into the driver’s side.
He hit the central locking, making Taylor jump, before winding his window down a little.
“We should be at the border in a couple of hours,” he informed him, “so get some sleep if you want.”
Taylor wrapped his arms around himself defensively, wondering exactly how Bernard expected him to. But he had been yawning an awful lot and anyone could see he was having trouble keeping his eyes open.
He soon began to shiver, due to the cold air coming in Bernard’s window and not having a shirt on.
“Cold?” Bernard raised an eyebrow when he noticed.
Taylor just nodded, again only afraid of what might happen if he didn’t answer.
Bernard took a moment to look over his shoulder, before turning back.
“There’s a jacket in the back,” he offered.
Taylor hesitated a moment with a frown, before looking across at the man curiously.
“Go on,” Bernard insisted, “I don’t need you sneezing all over me.”
Taylor bit his lip at that, before carefully reaching over to the back seat and grabbing it. As he pulled it back toward him, something clattered to the floor which made him jump.
“What was that?” Bernard frowned as Taylor pulled the jacket into his chest.
“Nothing,” Taylor stuttered, staring at the handcuffs now sitting on the floor of the back.
“Bullshit,” Bernard muttered, checking his mirrors a moment before leaning around and using his right hand to search for whatever had dropped.
Taylor squeezed his eyes shut and clutched the jacket to his chest as he heard Bernard take a hold of the cuffs and bring them around to study. There was a moment of silence between them as he looked them over.
“These are nothing?” he raised an eyebrow, giving the silent Taylor an odd glance.
He threw them to him, Taylor opening his eyes in time to catch them in his right hand.
“Then prove it. Put them on for me.”
Taylor looked up at him incredulously.
“But… there’s no key!” he exclaimed without raising his voice.
“Makes my job easier,” Bernard shrugged.
“But… I haven’t done anything…”
“Now that, my boy, is laughable,” Bernard couldn’t help but smile as Taylor shivered, “now. Are you going to do it for me, or do I have to?”