Status: Finished, but beware - the sequel is three times in length :)

Going Bush

31

Isaac’s eyes narrowed as he passed through a small town. There only seemed to be the one main street, but it was well populated with young adults and teenagers. Particularly around a sort of pub and club area. Then he sighted what the fuss may have been about.
Hesitantly, he pulled into a small side street. There were three police cars, and more officers than could fit into them. Some people were being detained, others questioned. Some men in black suits stood around, looking to be assessing the situation. And ambulance appeared to be on standby, but no one looked injured.
Isaac got out of the truck and made his way over to the nearest officer.
“Excuse me, what happened here?” he asked.
“Move along sir,” the policeman dismissed.
“Please, does this have anything to do with Taylor Hanson or Bernard Holmes or whoever else escaped I don’t know their names…?”
“And what do you know about it, sir?” the policeman suddenly had Isaac in his sights.
“Does it?” Isaac looked a lot more hopeful, “did they come through here? Am I going the right way?”
“What do you mean ‘the right way’?” the man put his hands on his hips, looking a lot more interested.
“Did they come through here or not?” Isaac frowned, annoyed at being held up.
“Sir, don’t get high and mighty with me. Just tell me why you want to know.”
Isaac looked around hesitantly. Given his last conversation with authorities, he wouldn’t be surprised if a call had been placed to pick him up and squash his chances of getting to Taylor before they could.
“I have a personal interest in Mr Hanson’s welfare,” he said finally.
“What’s your name, son? I’m going to have to ask you for I.D.”
Isaac’s eyes narrowed.
“He was here, wasn’t he?” he began to shake his head, backing off.
“Sir…”
Isaac bolted for his pick up, and was soon back on the road. Meanwhile the policeman who he’d spoken with rushed to tell his superiors, and there was soon as patrol car right on his tail.

*

Taylor yelled out when he felt the knife slash his skin a third time.
“Are you done yet?!” Bernard practically yelled, “or do I need to slash your tendons as well?!”
Taylor choked when he heard that, rolling onto his side as he tried to crawl away. He yelled out again when Bernard grabbed his left ankle.
“NO!” he screeched, “don’t! Please!”
“Then shut up and listen,” Bernard’s voice lowered.
Taylor took a deep breath, trying to calm himself down. Reduced to panting, he practically collapsed down onto his stomach in defeat.
“Now we’re not far from the border,” Bernard began calmly, “pretty soon this will all be over. Indefinitely. And if you help me get across, I may spare your life. You hear?”
“I don’t have a choice,” Taylor’s voice cracked as he tried not to break down.
“No, you don’t,” Bernard agreed, letting go of his ankle, “but let’s try and make this as easy as possible, shall we?”
He stepped around Taylor, then leant down to grab his arm and pulled him to his feet.