Status: Finished, but beware - the sequel is three times in length :)

Going Bush

33

Taylor’s eyes widened and he shot Bernard a look. The border was now in their sights, and they could already see about five police cars in the vicinity.
“Now what?” he demanded, fiddling with the cuffs on his wrists.
“Why, do you think anything’s changed?” Bernard asked snidely.
Taylor slid down in his seat at that, sure that his time had just started to run out.
It wasn’t long before they’d driven up to the barricade. Bernard parked possibly ten metres before them, and then climbed into the back seat taking his gun with him.
“Kindly move over and prepare to drive,” came his gruff voice.
Taylor grit his teeth as he wondered exactly how he was supposed to change gears and steer at the same time, before he did as asked.
“Pull forward,” Bernard instructed, moving to sit behind Taylor before reaching around to operate the gear stick himself.
His other hand held the gun just behind Taylor’s throat.
Taylor carefully accelerated, pulling forward only a few metres before a call over a megaphone made him jump and stop.
“Stop the car and put your hands where I can see them!”
Taylor gulped, trying not to panic.
“What should I do?” he asked carefully.
“What he says,” Bernard replied calmly.
Taylor waited until the car stopped, before raising his hands. There was silence for a time as the police began to get an idea of what they were dealing with.
“Step out of the car,” barked the next order.
“Slowly,” Bernard cautioned, “open the door and step out. I’ll follow you.”
Taylor nodded, before lowering his hands to the door handle and opening it. He felt Bernard moving behind him, quickly opening his own door. As Taylor stepped out, he could feel the gun against his neck once again as Bernard quickly closed the back door and pulled Taylor closer to him.
“Lower your weapon,” barked another command.
“If you don’t back off, I will waste him!” Bernard called out, prompting Taylor to close his eyes.
It was barely a moment later that they heard more vehicles coming down the road. Another patrol car and a truck skidded to a halt behind them, and the officers and another man appeared. The officers immediately drew their weapons while the man stood gob smacked.
“TAY?!”
His head snapped around, and his eyes widened.
“Ike?” he gasped, before he felt Bernard squeeze his arm tighter and jumped.
“One of the ones you were camping with?” he whispered into his ear menacingly.
“My other brother,” Taylor stuttered, his eyes starting to tear up from everything.
“We’ll ask you again. Please, lower your weapon. Or we may open fire.”
Taylor’s eyes widened again.
“NO!” Isaac yelled, “Don’t you dare!”
“Keep back!” one of the officers ordered, edging his way toward Isaac just in case.
Taylor looked to the police forming the barricade between them and the border. From what he could tell they all looked very determined to bring Bernard down, at whatever cost. He turned to look at Isaac again and gulped.