Status: Finished, but beware - the sequel is three times in length :)

Going Bush

34

Zac had only had the television turned on for moments before the newscast came on. The view was from a helicopter circling above the Oklahoma/Missouri state border, where multiple patrol cars had circled a blue truck and a red hatchback. Two figures stood alone by the red car, and Zac knew instinctively who they were.
“Tay?” he choked out, trying to sit up.
He cringed as he moved, soon opting to stay down. He grabbed for the remote and turned the volume up as far as he could.
“…At the Missouri border twenty minutes ago. We are broadcasting live as the scene unfolds here where escapee Bernard Holmes appears to have taken musician and family man Taylor Hanson as his hostage in an effort to flee Oklahoma…”
Zac squinted a little as he registered the blue truck suddenly and the person standing by it.
“Ike?” he frowned, wishing he had a button that could zoom in.
He watched like a hawk as conversation seemed to drift between the man that had shot him and the police officers. He barely noticed a nurse walk into the room.
“Mr Hanson, could you turn that down please?” she asked.
“Nope,” Zac replied simply, eyes not leaving the screen.
“Really, you’re disturbing some of-“
“I don’t care!” Zac exclaimed, “those are my brothers!”

*

Isaac didn’t like what he was hearing over his shoulder, but he couldn’t say anything in case Bernard overheard.
“Tay? Tay! Look at me!” he said loud enough for his brother to hear.
Taylor managed to pull his gaze from the border patrol long enough to lock eyes with his brother.
‘Brace yourself,’ Isaac mouthed.
Taylor frowned, not getting the connotation.
“Slowly,” he tensed as the words left Bernard’s mouth, “no sudden movements, get back in the car.”
Isaac was shaking his head, close enough to hear both sides. Taylor looked to him helplessly as Bernard grabbed the back of his jacket in his fist.
“And don’t try me.”
Taylor took a step back as Bernard pulled him, opening the driver’s door for him before opening the back door and getting in himself. Taylor was tempted to make a run for it, but could still feel the gun on his back. He gave Isaac one last look before getting back into the car. The police continued to bark orders that were ignored.
“We can’t get through,” Taylor suddenly found his voice.
“We will,” Bernard promised.
Isaac put his hands on his head, starting to panic.
“You can’t let them leave!” he turned to the officers behind him.
“We won’t be,” one of them assured, “one way or another.”
Isaac tried not to contemplate what that meant, as he kept his eye on what he could see of Taylor’s head.
“Pull forward,” Bernard instructed.
Taylor closed his eyes for a moment before starting the car again. Bernard put it into gear for him before he began to inch forward, eyes firmly planted on the officers up ahead.