Status: Finished, but beware - the sequel is three times in length :)

Going Bush

35

“We can’t fit through, the car isn’t strong enough,” Taylor tried to reason, focusing on where two patrol car noses were blocking the road.
“Then you’ll just have to pick up the pace, won’t you?” Bernard responded condescendingly.
Taylor closed his eyes and took a deep breath, trying to psych himself up for what he knew it was going to take. When his eyes opened again, they were filled with a renewed vigor. He checked where Bernard’s hand was once again on the gear stick, before flooring the accelerator.
“TAY?!” Ike yelled when he saw what he was doing.
If the car broke through the two patrol units, he was sure he’d never see his brother again.
“GET DOWN!” came the order from one of the patrolmen as the two beside their cars ducked off to the side.
Isaac hit his hands and knees, obliviously scraping his skin on the bitumen.
“DON’T SHOOT!” he yelled desperately.
Taylor heard nothing as he closed in on the cars, judging his distance as best as he could as the adrenaline coursed through him. He ignored Bernard muttering calculations to himself, and at the very last moment spun the steering wheel to the left.
Bernard didn’t have time to react as the car side swiped one of the patrol cars, shattering the windows down the right side. Not having hold of anything but the gun and the gear stick he fell down onto his side on the back seat, and the moment he had Taylor had opened his door and fallen out to the ground.
The moment his door had opened Isaac darted forward. Once Taylor hit the ground he managed to scramble to his feet just as the back door also opened and Bernard struggled to get out. Taylor took off at a run, immediately hearing footsteps behind him.
“IKE?” he yelled, a moment before multiple gunshots rang out.

*

“What the?!”
The nurse put the remote down on a nearby table, just out of Zac’s reach.
“If you can’t turn it down, then you won’t have it on at all,” she said decidedly.
Zac looked between her and the dark screen in shock.
“Do you have any idea what was happening?!” he asked incredulously, “my brother was taken hostage by an escaped murderer. They were broadcasting live! I need to know what’s happening!”
“You need to calm down,” the nurse instructed as she saw him trying to sit up.
One of the machines started to beep ominously.
“Turn it back on!” Zac insisted, starting to pant a little.
“Calm down, Sir. You’re in no state to be working yourself up. You need to concentrate on-“
“I need to see my brothers, is what I need,” Zac looked up at her pleadingly, pain evident in his eyes.
The nurse was busily checking his screens, and he barely noticed that he was beginning to feel faint. A moment later his eyes had rolled to the back of his head, and he was out.
The nurse hit the emergency button and screamed for assistance.
“We have a possible pneumothorax on the collapsed lung,” she informed the newcomers, “we’ll need immediate removal and drainage measures before he suffocates.”
The doctors and nurses rushed around him, Zac suddenly opening his eyes again for a moment. All he could make out was that he was having trouble breathing again, before an oxygen mask was put over his face and he passed out a second time.