Status: Finished, but beware - the sequel is three times in length :)

Going Bush

37

Isaac stopped short in the doorway to what had been Zac’s room. Not only was the room empty, but even the bed was gone.
“What?” Taylor gave him a glance before looking past.
“This can’t be good,” Isaac began looking for anyone he recognised.
He eventually gave up and headed over to the nearest reception desk.
“Excuse me, but my brother Zac was-“
“Oh, Isaac?” the lady gave him a questioning look.
“Yes?”
Her face fell a little, and she stood from behind the desk to come around to talk to him. Isaac indicated for Taylor to join them in the corner of the small booth.
“Zac’s back in recovery, I’m afraid.”
“What do you mean ‘back’? He was out yesterday,” Isaac was confused as Taylor’s eyes darted between them.
“There were some complications,” she eyed Taylor.
“He’s our brother,” Isaac quickly brushed over, “what happened? Is he okay?”
“He’ll be fine,” the nurse nodded, “but he’s going to need a lung transplant.”
Taylor stepped aside, his hands on his head in shock.
“I thought the surgery went fine. He was fine when I spoke to him last!” Isaac exclaimed.
“We thought he was,” the nurse lowered her voice, “I shouldn’t tell you this, but he saw the news broadcast. We think it got him so worked up that he caused himself more damage internally…”
“You’ve gotta be kidding,” Taylor shook his head.
“Afraid I’m not. He needs to stay on oxygen for the foreseeable at this stage, but you should be able to see him within a couple of hours if you’d like to hang around.”
Isaac looked to Taylor for confirmation, who nodded.
“I’ll let you know anything as soon as I do,” she promised before stepping back into her office.
“Thanks, we appreciate it,” Isaac insisted, before turning back to Taylor, “you should get checked over while we’re waiting.”
Taylor gave him a glance, but nodded. They began to head back to the main entrance where their police escort had been waiting patiently. From there, Taylor was taken aside and physically checked over before having to hand over the clothes he’d been given during the ordeal. A nurse offered him a set of scrubs as opposed to a hospital gown to compensate before attending to the minor cuts and scrapes over his body and the larger knife wounds down his leg.
It was over an hour later before he returned to Isaac.
“Guess we’d better get you some clothes,” he realised.
“Yeah,” Taylor scratched his head absently, “but right now? Not such a priority.”
“I get it,” Isaac nodded, as they began to make their way back to Zac’s room.
There was no further word on Zac waking up by the time they got back, so they took a seat in the corridor.
“Has anyone asked for your statement yet?” Isaac looked across at Taylor.
“Not yet,” he sighed, then smirked, “I don’t think I’d know where to start.”
Isaac was about to agree with him when they heard a gurney being wheeled down the hall. Isaac jumped to his feet to check, before coming back to Taylor.
“It’s him,” he nodded.