Status: Finished, but beware - the sequel is three times in length :)

Going Bush

38

Taylor jumped up and they waited until the nurses had settled Zac’s bed back into his room before they stepped inside themselves.
“He’ll be awake any moment now,” one of them told Isaac on her way out.
“Thanks,” he nodded, before pulling a chair up beside the bed.
Taylor walked around the other side, a hand covering his mouth as he looked his younger brother over.
“He wasn’t this bad when I saw him last,” Isaac shook his head, “he was actually… demanding that I go and find you, and insisting that he was fine.”
“Maybe you shouldn’t have,” Taylor absently bit at his nails.
“No,” Isaac shook his head, “I had to. I just needed him to tell me that.”
They stood in silence for a time before a grunt escaped Zac’s lips. Taylor darted to the bedside as Isaac took Zac’s hand in his.
“Zac?” he asked carefully.
“What?” Zac grunted, making Taylor smile with relief.
His eyelids fluttered, before he blinked solidly while his eyes adjusted to the light. Isaac waited until he was sure he was awake.
“Taylor’s here,” he smiled.
Zac’s eyes shot open, and they fell on Taylor instantly. He leant forward and took his younger brother’s hand, squeezing it gently.
“Hey,” he said softly.
“About time you got back,” Zac croaked.
“Sorry I took so long,” Taylor mused, “but you didn’t have to go and do this to yourself.”
“I was just tired of you getting all the attention.”
Isaac held back a chuckle at his brothers’ banter.
“So what happened?” Zac asked, sparing Isaac a glance.
“What did you see?” Taylor asked.
“Yeah, we heard you saw the news,” Isaac said pointedly.
Zac groaned a little.
“I saw the car take off,” he licked his lips, “like it was going to ram into the cops, then Nurse Ratchet turned the TV off.”
Taylor gave Isaac a glance.
“They got him,” Isaac offered, “with a bit of help from Tay.”
“I might have crashed the car,” Taylor shrugged, “and when he got out to chase me, they shot him.”
Zac closed his eyes with a sigh.
“Awesome,” he murmured, “case closed.”
“I guess,” Taylor looked across at Isaac again.
“Do you know what happened to you?” Isaac asked.
“I woke up in the theatre, they told me,” Zac breathed in suddenly, wincing as it couldn’t be as deep as he’d consciously wanted, “guess I’m on a waiting list.”
“We should check on that,” Taylor said, before looking up at the door.
The officer who’d helped him at the scene was standing there.
“Mr Hanson? We’re going to need your statement,” he said softly.
“Okay,” Taylor nodded, before making sure Zac was alright and then making to leave the room.