Status: Finished, but beware - the sequel is three times in length :)

Going Bush

07

“This is crazy,” Zac declared suddenly, “we need to go to the ranger.”
Isaac ran his fingers through his hair and stood.
“Alright.”
“What, no argument this time?”
Isaac hesitated, but shook his head.
“If he were coming back, he would have by now. And the stuff that’s missing… I don’t see why he would have taken it. There’s just no logical reason for this.”
“Apart from…”
“Shut up.”
Isaac shut the tent up and began up the nearby gravel track. Zac got up to follow.

*

“How long do you want to be here?” Nate asked eventually.
“Not long. They’ll be scouring this general area. And we’ve got to keep that kid and the uniform out of sight.”
Nate nodded with a yawn, settling down into the hay.
“Do I have time to catch some Z’s, or are we moving?”
“Well if we sleep now, we’ll be able to keep going all night. I’d prefer that option.”
“Are you staying awake or what?” Nate raised his eyebrows.
The bald man glanced at Taylor, then the door.
“He won’t be going anywhere. And no one will be coming here. We should be fine for an hour or so.”
“Ok.”
Nate lay down into the hay and closed his eyes. The bald man managed to go through everything they had with them before slipping into the stable and also settling down. It wasn’t long before soft snoring was heard, and Taylor took to eyeing the door.

*

“How long has he been missing?” the ranger Isaac and Zac had pulled over asked.
“Hours. He just went to get some wood for a fire cos it was freaking cold this morning. We haven’t seen him since,” Zac insisted.
The ranger looked between them for a moment, before picking up his radio and tuning in.
“Anyone there? This is Peters. Come in base.”
“This is Copeland. Hello?” came a crackled reply.
“Morning Lou. Have we seen the middle Hanson brother around anywhere? The blonde one?”
Zac rolled his eyes as Isaac folded his arms.
“Not that I know of. But did you hear about the escapees?”
Isaac’s eyebrows shot up. The ranger hesitated.
“How many have we got Lou?”
“Just two. A Nathan Devereux and Bernard Holmes.”
“I’ll keep a lookout. Over.”
“Over and out.”
The ranger put the radio down.
“Do you think that they…” Zac began, shaking his head.
“Let’s keep focus,” Isaac took a deep breath.
“I think you boys should be ok out there, but if you want to bring it in as a precaution…”
“Well I for one don’t feel safe with a couple of escaped criminals out there,” Isaac said.