Status: Finished, but beware - the sequel is three times in length :)

Going Bush

08

It was rather hard to be silent when you’re trying to move over hay. As Taylor soon found out. Nevertheless, he continued with what he was doing.
He eventually managed to get to the door, and stand up. Here was the tricky part. He only had one hand to work with, which happened to be his left, and the bolt in the door was heavy and rusted.
He kept his ears tuned for any movement in the stable area as he felt for where the bolt lay. Slowly, he began to push it across, millimetre by painful millimetre. Until he felt the door swing slightly.
He quickly thought back to when the door was last open. He couldn’t remember if the hinges would squeak or not. Praying silently, he swung the door out a little, thanking the Lord when there was no sound.
He quickly and quietly slipped out of the door and managed to somehow close it behind him. He didn’t bother trying to get the bolt back in – they’d notice he was gone before they noticed that.
At least it was still daylight.
He squinted a little as the sun hit his eyes, then slipped around the back of the small hut. He tried to be silent until he was well away from it, so that his footsteps wouldn’t awaken the escapees.

*

“Don’t even think about it.”
“I’m not waiting around Ike. What if he just got lost or something?”
“Zac, you’re staying right here,” Isaac insisted firmly, “you’re not going out there with those… criminals on the loose.”
Zac frowned frustratedly and sat back, folding his arms across his chest.
“I want to go and look for him.”
“I know you do. And I want to as well.”
“Then why don’t we?”
“Because- ZAC! Just can it already! You’re not the only one worried!”
“I’m not worried. I’m frustrated because we can’t do anything. Well we can, but for some reason you’re stopping us.”
Zac stood up.
“Where are you going?” Isaac demanded.
“Outside. I need some fresh air.”
Without another word, Zac disappeared. Isaac’s eyes followed his brother, before he leant forward and put his head in his hands.

*

It didn’t take much for Zac to sneak out. Not everyone there at the station knew who he was, and didn’t know they were supposed to be watching out for him. Taking one last look around, Zac jumped a rail and disappeared into the surrounding bush land.
He honestly had no idea of where to look, so he headed back in the general direction of the camp.

*

He must have had the right idea, because that was exactly what Taylor was doing. It was hard for him to remember the way – especially in reverse – simply because of how scared he’d been. Not to mention how scared he was now, knowing they’d most likely come after him.