Status: Finished, but beware - the sequel is three times in length :)

Going Bush

09

It wasn’t all that long before Isaac realized that Zac had disappeared. Grumbling to himself a little, he pulled out his cell phone, hoping that Zac hadn’t gone too far out of range.

*

Zac almost jumped out of his skin as he heard his phone ring.
“Damn it.”
He snatched it from his pocket, chanting to himself in the hopes of remembering to put it on silent when he got off talking to… whoever it was.
“Hello?”
“Zac?! Where the-?”
“I told you Ike. I said I’d go looking for him. You just decided to trust me at the wrong time,” he shrugged.
“Why I ought to…”
“Ike, cool it. I’ll let you know if I find anything.”
“Call me. Hourly. If not I’ll be calling you, and if I don’t get an answer I’ll have the army out after you.”
“Yeah, yeah…” Zac hung up.

*

Taylor froze. What was that?
It sounded like someone’s phone. And that was a familiar ring tone…
Zac?
He gulped slightly, hoping he was right, before beginning to head in that direction.

*

It was Zac’s turn to freeze. He was sure he could hear footsteps. And they weren’t that far away either.
He found a rather thick tree trunk and quickly ducked behind it. They were footsteps alright, and they were getting closer. Eventually, he saw the vague shape of a person in the thrush, before the light hit their face.
“TAYLOR?!”
Taylor’s head snapped up, trying to catch sight of him. Zac practically bounded toward him, slowing only when he saw the state his brother was in.
“Holy crap… what happened to you?” Zac frowned, ripping the tape from Taylor’s mouth.
He spat the cloth out, before taking a few deep breaths.
“They… they wanted to take me as a hostage,” Taylor blurted.
“I figured something like that when I saw what you were wearing,” Zac looked him up and down.
“Yeah, yeah… Can you get these off me?” Taylor turned slightly.
Zac eyed the cable ties and gnawed his bottom lip for a moment.
“Oh wait! I snagged one of the pocketknives. That should do it.”
He reached into a pocket and drew it out, before cutting Taylor free.
“Thanks Zac.”
“I knew I should come looking for you. Ike didn’t want me to, but I figured…”
“That was pretty stupid Zac,” Taylor insisted, “you really, really shouldn’t have. What if…?”
“Ah! Not ‘what if?’s. I found you, and that’s all that matters,” Zac said, “now let’s go.”