‹ Prequel: Going Bush

Going Bush 2: Suburbia

100

“She’s not here,” Zac shook his head.
“What?” Isaac demanded.
“She’s not here. The woman that bought him!”
They were watching as the people of the house had been rounded up and either loaded into SWAT cars or interrogated on the spot. Supposedly everyone accounted for was out in the stable yard.
“Neither is that guy whose plane we found,” Isaac realised, scratching his chin.
“So Tay must be with them,” Zac said decidedly, before making his way over to the man keeping watch over the two of them.
“You’re missing a few,” he informed him.
“Excuse me?” he looked across at Zac.
“You’re missing some people. Besides Taylor, obviously. The woman that brought him here isn’t here,” Zac said pointedly, barely managing to hold himself back from making a scene, “and there’s a guy missing too. The guy whose plane we followed here. He’s a big guy, blue eyes, white hair, blank facial expression…”
The officer quickly picked up his radio.
“Got any names?” he asked first.
“Well Taylor called the guy ‘Master’ but I doubt that’s it,” Zac seethed.
The officer faltered, before calling up his superior to give him the news.
“Can you give us detailed descriptions of the two?” he asked.
“Gladly,” Zac blinked, forcing himself to calm down, “and Ike can back me up. We both saw them.”
“Get the van in here, we need to set up an identikit…” the officer stepped away as he spoke on the radio.
Zac watched after him before turning back to Isaac.
“We need to draw a picture for them,” he said between his teeth as he sat beside his brother.
“They should have had this place locked down,” Isaac shook his head in confusion, “how did they manage to get by? I seriously didn’t hear a thing until it was all over.”
“Me neither, and I had a perfect view of the house from here,” Zac nodded as he looked up, “maybe they haven’t covered everything yet.”
“When they brought us here from the airport…” Isaac squinted a little, “we didn’t come down the main road. I’m sure we didn’t. So there must be another road that leads here.”
Zac pursed his lips, looking to the distance as far as he could see.
“It was gravel,” he realised, “maybe twenty-five miles.”
“Right,” Isaac agreed, “and if the SWAT team followed us from the airport, they wouldn’t have come by the main road either.”
“And unless they have some serious silencing action on their chopper, they have no aerial surveillance,” Zac added.
There was barely a moment’s pause before Zac was on his feet again and approaching the officer.
“Please, Zac, sit in the van until-“
“You guys missed something,” Zac said straight out.
“Evidently. Or we would have found Taylor.”
“No, roads,” Zac pointed back over his shoulder, “you guys came in via a gravel track, right?”
“We followed you all the way from the airport,” the officer shrugged.
“Exactly. But that’s not the only road in here,” Zac stared him down, “so find the others.”