‹ Prequel: Going Bush

Going Bush 2: Suburbia

101

“Taylor…? Taylor? Open your eyes. Come on. Come back to us…”
Taylor heard the voice in the distance as he managed to force his eyes open, seeing nothing but dark and blurry shapes. He was barely conscious when he felt it coming, and instantly turned onto his side.
“Quick, quick!”
Taylor felt someone rip the tape from his mouth just in time for him to throw up on what he presumed was the floor. Having not eaten anything for a few days, there wasn’t much to bring up. He barely registered his hair being held back as he struggled to catch his breath.
“Do you think we overdid it?”
“Maybe. I told you I wasn’t an expert.”
Taylor tried to push himself up but found his wrists still bound together. With a groan he fell forward onto something soft. A bed?
“I’ll leave you to it,” the second voice said suddenly before he heard their footsteps walk away.
As he worked to regain awareness, he realised he recognised it. But he wasn’t sure exactly how. Nate’s voice he definitely recognised however.
When he was finally able to open his eyes again he managed to make out Nate’s outline as he crouched beside the bed attempting to clean up the mess.
“What happened?” Taylor choked out, his throat so dry he was sure there was dust down it.
“Just concentrate on waking up,” Nate insisted, standing and taking a few steps back.
Taylor couldn’t make out exactly what he was doing, but soon registered that they were in a very small space. He remained as still as he could – panting slightly and feeling his body shake – as his vision cleared. There wasn’t much light in the space but once his vision cleared he was able to discern that they seemed to be in some sort of trailer. He was on a bed up the far end, and Nate was fussing around in the makeshift kitchen between where he was and a small table surrounded by derelict sofa seating.
Feeling like all his body wanted to do was sleep, he fought the urge to close his eyes again and instead tried to push himself up once more. The familiar rattle of the chain hit his ears, but he noticed it was no longer around his wrists. Instead, they were taped together.
Without managing to get any more than his head up, he looked up to the head of the bed to see the chain anchored to a rivet in the wall. Looking up further he noticed that the windows were boarded up.
When he heard Nate take a couple of steps in his direction again, he quickly turned his head and then lowered it to the bed with a groan as a dizzy spell hit.
“Are you with me?” Nate asked as he crouched beside the bed again, tilting his head so he was almost at eye level.
“No,” Taylor admitted, beginning to wonder that if he did feel better anytime soon how long he could keep up the act for.
“The anaesthetic should wear off quickly,” Nate held something out, “here.”
“Anaesthetic?” Taylor frowned incredulously as he spied the glass of water.
He tried again to sit himself up, and jumped when Nate had to help him. It was then he noticed that he was barefoot and his ankles were taped together.
“Why?” his voice still croaked as he took the glass, “where are we?”
“If I was going to tell you that, why would I have drugged you to bring you here?” Nate frowned.