‹ Prequel: Going Bush

Going Bush 2: Suburbia

103

“They’ve locked down the airports and sent the identikit photos to the border patrols, but the plane you told me about is already gone.”
“Are you serious?” Zac demanded into the phone.
“How?” Isaac frowned, holding it between them, “there wouldn’t have been enough time to get around the SWAT cars and take a back road to the airport. We came down the back road. And we were followed from there, so surely they would have had eyes on the place?”
“There were casualties at the airport.”
Isaac and Zac shared a worried look.
“Anyone we know?” Isaac dared to ask.
“I’m not sure. Their families are yet to be notified.”
“Send our sympathies,” Zac insisted.
“Yeah for sure,” Isaac agreed, “too many people have died already.”
“More than we’ll ever know, probably. We don’t know how many people were abducted before now.”
“That’s comforting,” Zac said with sarcasm.
“Sorry guys.”
“Were you able to track the plane the same way we did to get here?” Isaac asked.
“That was Rick’s forte, but I’ll get him onto it.”
“No need, we’ll be on the phone as soon as we’re done here,” Zac insisted, “is there definitely no satellite cover for the grounds here? SWAT found a couple of roads but they can’t follow them forever.”
“No satellite cover, sorry.”
Zac cursed and stepped away from the phone.
“Thanks for the update Davison,” Isaac sighed, “they’re not telling us anything on this end.”
“That’s Washington for you. Take care guys.”
“Thank you!” Zac called over his shoulder before Isaac hung up and immediately dialled for Rick.
“Ike, hey!”
“Hey Rick, listen we need a favour…”
“I’m listening.”
“The plane you followed to Tampico. We need you to follow it out.”
“…What?”
“Tay’s gone,” Zac came back to the phone.
“What?!”
“Long story short, we got abducted when we found the plane. SWAT team jumped when we got to the place they were holding him, and some key players got away,” Isaac told him, “and the plane’s gone.”
“You’re kidding.”
“Tell me you’re on the computer already,” Isaac gave Zac a short smile.
“Of course I am. How long ago was this?”
“About midday?” Isaac looked to Zac for confirmation who nodded, “we’ve spent all afternoon and evening in interrogation. Not that there was much to tell.”
“How do you know it was definitely where they were keeping him if he isn’t there?”
“We saw him,” Zac confirmed, “and it wasn’t good. We need to find him again.”