‹ Prequel: Going Bush

Going Bush 2: Suburbia

105

“Dammit,” Taylor cursed, sucking on his finger where he’d cut it.
He’d been trying to use the knife to take the screws out of the rivet in the wall that his chain had been locked to. Knowing he had no chance of breaking the chain itself or picking the locks that held it in place, it was all he could think of to do. But failing access to a screwdriver or anything similar, he was struggling with what should have been a simple task.
He didn’t know how long it had been when he finally gave up. He didn’t know how long it would be until Nate returned, and he needed an alternate solution. He knew there was no way he’d get the collar off his neck and now there was no way to get the chain from the wall, but he had one last avenue to try.
He could still clearly hear slow traffic in the distance, and he only hoped he was actually in a trailer park or something similar. Somewhere where he could be heard.
He sat on the bed again close to the wall where the chain was anchored. Collecting the small length of chain into his fists, he began hitting it relentlessly against the boards on the windows.
“HELP!” he yelled, “IS ANYBODY OUT THERE?!”
He paused between the yells, but when he heard nothing he continued on. He’d been yelling for barely a couple of minutes before he heard footsteps in the gravel outside. Panicking for a moment that Nate had returned, he reminded himself that Nate would be returning by car.
“Help me please!” he called out when he heard the person approaching the door, “I can’t get out!”
He sat forward as the door opened, wondering what on Earth he was going to tell anyone about why he was half naked and what had happened to him, before the man stepped inside.
Taylor’s blood ran cold.
“No no no…” he shook his head, moving back onto the bed and huddling into the corner, “no. NO!”
“Shut up,” Trent scorned, not slowing in his pace as he made his way over.
“Leave me alone!” Taylor cried as he put his hands up in defence, “leave me ALONE!”
Trent tried to grab Taylor by the hair, but when his hands flew to his head he easily grabbed the chain instead. Pulling him forward by it, he leant down until Taylor was forced to lay on his stomach.
“Please don’t,” Taylor whimpered, “I’m sick!”
“You should have thought of that earlier,” Trent put a knee into his back to keep him down before easily grabbing his wrists and pulling them behind him.
Taylor felt the cable tie go on and cringed. He looked to the side as Trent shifted in time to see him pull a handkerchief from his pocket, spinning it to tighten it before he used it to gag him with. Taylor began to protest that he might need to vomit again and that he could choke if he were gagged, but it fell on deaf ears.
When Trent was satisfied he took the pressure off of Taylor’s back. Taylor watched as he turned and kicked a cupboard in frustration, before pulling out his cell phone and collapsing into part of the sofa. Taylor felt himself shivering as he heard him start to talk.
“Yeah no problems. The kid was making a bit of noise. …No, nothing major. No one heard.”
Taylor squeezed his eyes shut for a moment, before opening them again when he remembered the knife. It had to still be on the bed somewhere.
“Yeah I can stay here, how long are you gonna be?”
Taylor rolled onto his side, watching Trent carefully to make sure he wasn’t paying attention. Feeling around on the bed with his hands, he soon found the knife and quickly pushed it under the bed covers. Making sure he wasn’t going to accidentally lay on it, he fell forward onto his stomach again.