‹ Prequel: Going Bush

Going Bush 2: Suburbia

110

“The plane returned to Waco,” Rick’s voice came over the phone speaker.
“He really went back?” Isaac frowned.
“Looks like.”
“That doesn’t make sense,” Zac shrugged, “he must know there’s nothing there.”
“Unless the base wasn’t the only place they were working from,” Isaac suggested.
“Crap,” Zac grumbled.
“Besides, he had a Texan accent,” Isaac pointed out, “so he probably lives around there somewhere.”
“Are you guys going to head back there, or wait for the guys in Dallas to pull their fingers out of their asses?”
“I guess we’ll head for Dallas,” Isaac looked to Zac for confirmation.
Zac didn’t respond.
“Or… Waco, rather. But you might want to warn them we’re coming. Can you give us directions?”
“I could…” Rick trailed off, “but are you sure you want them?”
“What do you mean?” Zac asked.
“You told me that this is the guy that caught you out. This guy had Taylor grovelling on the floor at his feet-“
“All the more reason to bring the guy down,” Zac said insistently, “and fast.”
“And I’m with Zac on this one,” Isaac assured, “besides, I’m pretty sure I’ve dealt with worse.”
“Bernard is a whole other cake tin,” Rick scorned, making Isaac and Zac give each other an amused glance, “this guy is smart. And prepared. And if he has Taylor? He’s only going to use him as leverage.”
“Once again something we have experience with,” Zac pointed out.
“Something I have experience with, you spent most of that time unconscious,” Isaac corrected.
“Because he freakin’ shot me!”
“Anyway I take it nothing I say is going to change your minds,” Rick cut in, “so I’ll text you the directions to the airport. If anything changes I’ll give you a call.”
“Thanks Rick,” Zac nodded.
“We’ll be on our way as soon as we clear it with the Feds,” Isaac informed him.
“Bye guys.”
Isaac hung up and rubbed his face tiredly.
“I’m starting to feel like we’re going in circles,” he said absently.
“Why, because we just came from Waco and now we’re going back to Waco? Whatever would give you that feeling?”
Isaac gave him a scornful look.
It was mid-afternoon before they got the clearance to leave Tampico. Once they had it they immediately checked out of their motel and began the drive north. Once again swapping drivers every now and then, they made it to Waco in the early hours of the following morning. Not wanting to chance anything under the cover of darkness they opted to find a motel and check in for the rest of the morning.
“Here we go again,” Isaac sighed as he collapsed onto the bed.
“Here we go again,” Zac agreed, reaching over to turn off the bedside lamp.
It wasn’t long before they both fell asleep.